"...from the Delta to the DMZ" - Part 3

06/24

Having started land and waterborne elements of the Vietnam war, it was inevitable that I would want a flying machine as well. And in my view nothing symbolises the Vietnam war more than the ubiquitous Huey, the UH-1. Ideally I'd like to do a slick, as the real Hueys I've seen have all been the longer body version. But apart from the Panda/Dragon effort, I'm not aware of any slicks in 1/35, and the Pandagon versions are seemingly both as rare as rocking horse poop, and reviews are not very complimentary. Kitty Hawk bottled out and went 1/48, so the field is still.open for someone to step up. How about it Airfix?

However, as uncomplimentary as the Pandagon reviews are, reviews of the Academy UH-1C are very positive despite its age, and the recent Revell boxing is available fairly cheaply. 

48490222707_ddb8bd5706_c.jpgD3 by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

48490052326_ba98f8d66c_c.jpgD3 by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

This is just a placeholder until I reach a point on the other builds where I need some rotary wing relief. There's a lot of plastic in the box.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2019 at 8:56 AM, Nikolay Polyakov said:

I love the «C» much more than others! Excellent choice, Jon - I’ll take a look. :popcorn: It would be great if you post some sprues pictures and give us some thoughts about the kit...

Your wish is my (slightly delayed, sorry!) command:

48675650693_3bd6ed07a5_c.jpgRevell 1/35 UH-1C by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

There's a lot of plastic in the box.

Detail looks nicely, even delicately done:

48675992546_fcbcbdc88e_c.jpgRevell 1/35 UH-1C by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

48675650678_7cb754cb56_c.jpgRevell 1/35 UH-1C by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

And it seems to have an appropriate mix of engraved and raised detail.

There a whole bunch of armaments included:

48676167137_7302a1ca7d_c.jpgRevell 1/35 UH-1C by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

I'm no huey expert but certainly in-box (or rather, out-of-box-but-unbuilt) it looks like it should build up just fine. But its huge. I hadn't bargained for just how big this "small" helo is in 1/35 scale.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, 06/24 said:

Your wish is my (slightly delayed, sorry!) command:

Thank you Jon, I’m not rushing! 🤝 As I expected, it’s the kit from MRC and looks great. The only thing that I dislike here is an anti-glare panel that comes with the fuselage halves. But maybe it’ll look well when glued and sanded.

Have you cut some parts for a start, yet? 😀

P.S. 46 cm of the helicopter?! Well, it’s really huge!

Edited by Nikolay Polyakov