HGW "Hot Water" Wet Transfers

224 Peter

Hi, All. 

I have just received a set of 1/32 markings for the Hurricane, made by HGW.  

Unlike traditional transfers these have to be soaked in warm/hot water, positioned on to a Gunze decal softener solution and after blotting down left for 6 to 8 hours to dry before removing the transfer film. 

Had anyone used these transfers and are they better/worse/the same as conventional transfers? 

Also, can I use Micro Softener, as I don't have the Gunze product?

Help and advice most welcome! 

Hi Peter,

I have not heard of hot transfers, but interestingly enough that's almost exactly how I apply traditional transfers: warm, almost hot water, blotted down with a cotton bud, then an application of Solvaset and left alone overnight. These HGW decals almost sound like those temporary tattoos!

The best thing about these transfers is that they end the day with no carrier film, so leave no annoying edges and no hiding of the edges by repeated application of clear varnish.  I think they take a bit more planning, as you have to remove the top layer or carrier film a couple of hours later, but after that they conform to the surface a bit like Tom said - like temporary tattoos, only not for your skin ^_^ I've used a few and they work well, but haven't yet decalled a whole model with them.

HGW have some awesome products.  You should check out their rivets and especially their fabric seatbelts.  They're the best thing ever to depict seatbelts other than inventing a shrink ray :D

Thanks for the insight. They sound good....no clear film!! 

Applied to gloss varnish and then matted down the details should be clear but inconspicuous. 

I took a look at HGW's website: a temptation to spend money if ever there was one!