RAF Pumas, new codes?

Evalman

I managed to catch this on the Moors near home last week, on closer examination I've noticed that this machine (ZA940) carries the barely visible code letter V just to the rear of the defensive aids fittings.

As I haven't seen one of these beauties for a while, I'm just wondering if the rest of the fleet have been coded? 

48416849707_290642bb1a_b.jpg

48416849457_0fae994444_b.jpg

48416729251_6df5d84098_b.jpg

48416693076_d90dee7da4_b.jpg

Edited by Evalman
  • Like 14

I was aboard one almost a month ago - code was 'K'. I'm afraid I didn't get to see the code letter of the accompanying airframe in the flight clearly, but it appeared to be a single letter.

Couldn't tell you the serial of the airframe; the tailboom was rather grubby (as in the shots here) and the serial wasn't clear, even when boarding the cab...

Thanks for the kind comments.

I'd totally forgotten about this one I saw at Plymouth Hoe last year, ZJ956 / Y,  so it seems the coding process has been ongoing for a while.  

A quick search of Flickr shows the following:

XW220 / K

XW231 / N

ZA940 / V

ZJ954 / W

ZJ955 / X

ZJ956 / Y

ZJ957 / Z

41291897730_d079270052_b.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Nice pics ....I begrudgingly like the puma...

She is possibly the best looking helicopter around ....very aesthetically pleasing even though it's a load of old rubbish and can bearly lift anything...clearly I'm biased towards the much superior Sea King and we dont get 'telling offs' from the RSM for putting divots in his lawn at Impal barracks in York.

Meanwhile I have an Airfix kit of one...does anyone know where I can get a set of sand filters from?

2 hours ago, junglierating said:

She is possibly the best looking helicopter around ....very aesthetically pleasing even though it's a load of old rubbish and can bearly lift anything...clearly I'm biased towards the much superior Sea King and we dont get 'telling offs' from the RSM for putting divots in his lawn at Impal barracks in York.

Meanwhile I have an Airfix kit of one...does anyone know where I can get a set of sand filters from?

Strangely the Heller kit (which I think is the same kit) has them in, and I think that the later version of the Airfix kit also has them. As for aftermarket I do not know of any.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, junglierating said:

Totally agree your comments regarding the looks of the Puma. I'm not sure about 'our' (British orientated) views on the load carrying capability - you are not the first to make this observation but maybe we were expecting too much of the aircraft in the early, pre-Chinook, days when it came to lift capacity. I have previously spoken to several South African pilots and they never seemed to have the same problems operating the SAAF SA.330 Pumas in the 'hot and high' conditions experienced during the Bush War (or maybe the aircraft had uprated engines ?).   

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to bore you with another, but I managed to catch K (XW220)  near home last week.

Most impressed to see that it is as nimble and agile as I remember.  It appeared almost from nowhere, unlike the Chinook which you can hear approaching from miles away.

48723778847_132e9be133_b.jpg

• Like 2