Fw190 A-5 vs A-8 engine difference

Basuroy

Hey guys , basically my problem is this - I have a 1/72nd scale BMW engine  brassin set for a FW190 A-8 kit from eduard.

But I want to build an A-5 . My question is are there any day and night cosmetic difference between the engine used in these two models ?

I understand there are some minor ones but are the fuselage of both the a-5 and a-8 identical ? Are there any differences regarding the placement of the engine within the airframe which might cause assembly issue ?

Also , can an engine meant for an A-8 be passed off in a F-8 as well ? I really don't wanna build another a-8 . A-5 is my preference followed by F-8. 

Basically, at least for model purposes, the A-5 and A-8 engines were identical. Fuselage and wing differences between the two were for reasons other than engine. If you are asking if the Brassin engine will fit the A-5 kit, no clue since the Eduard ones I have finished used the kit engine.

• Like 1

Short answer - no, you will struggle to see any difference as all the variants you mention used the 801D-2 engine.  If you wanted to an A-9 then you would have to source different fan blades and prop blades. 

• Like 1

Certainly soon people will be around with more knowledge on the subject, but: No, 5 and 8 fuselages are not identical, versions post the 5 were slightly longer between engine and cockpit, something like 40cm or so. The basic engine should be alright for all three versions I think, especially in 72nd.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tempestfan said:

Certainly soon people will be around with more knowledge on the subject, but: No, 5 and 8 fuselages are not identical, versions post the 5 were slightly longer between engine and cockpit, something like 40cm or so. The basic engine should be alright for all three versions I think, especially in 72nd.

The movement of the engine forward of the cockpit (by 15cm) is really evident from the A-5 and was continued with the rest of the A and F series. The engine pack, known as the 'kraftei' or 'power egg' was a modular pack which could be removed or bolted on without major disruption. 

spacer.png

• Like 4

2 hours ago, tempestfan said:

2 hours ago, Parabat said:

The movement of the engine forward of the cockpit (by 15cm) is really evident from the A-5 and was continued with the rest of the A and F series. The engine pack, known as the 'kraftei' or 'power egg' was a modular pack which could be removed or bolted on without major disruption. 

I am bit confused , was the A-8 engine module 15cm longer than the A-5 or both are same length ? the brassin engine set I have comes with the entire firewall and everything so if the forward fuselage length is different between a5 and a8 , I doubt it will fit .

Thanks a lot to everyone here for the awesome help so far btw :D , this forum is a gem ! 

12 minutes ago, Basuroy said:

was the A-8 engine module 15cm longer than the A-5 or both are same length ?

The same

The A-5 introduced a 15 cm extension, so the A-5 throughA-9 (and corresponding F and G models) are the same length.

the A-1 through A-4 are the same shorter length.

this should help sort out what is what

Focke-Wulf 190
Part One - Würger Genesis

A Modeler's Primer to the Focke-Wulf Fw 190 A, F and G Series

by John R. Beaman, Jr.

see http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/fw190jb_1.htm

the only main difference between the A-5 and A-8 fuselage is the armament fit,  so you can fit the A-8 engine set into an A-5.

• Like 2

Hi

From IPMS Stockholm's excellent account of the 190s versions and changes.

Fw 190 A-5

On the basis of data collected during tests of the experimental Fw 190A3/U1, Blaser's designer team became convinced that the planned additional armament would move the plane centre of gravity forward. The best solution to offset this was to move the engine forward. This was done with a 15 cm steel tube engine mount extension. This change (new engine mount) was introduced on the all production lines. It also led to an increase of the plane length to 9.10 m

So you should be fine for taking the engine and putting it into an A-5 airframe. The F-8 was essentially a ground attack A-8 and so the engine arrangement is identical (there may have been some armour around the lower cowl, but doubtful it'd show up in this scale).

Matt

Hang on - if the armament moves the cg too far forward then moving the engine further forward is entirely the wrong thing to do.  Whatever the reason was, that wasn't it.

PS  According to Smith & Creek (Classic 18, Fw190 vol 1) the engine was moved forward to improve the cooling.

Edited by Graham Boak
  • Like 2

Thanks a lot gents , will order the a-5 with eyes closed now :D 

Intend to make a hangar diorama with the airplane undergoing service and all. Got myself a very good 72nd scale airfield crew set by Zvezda as well.

Good point. A-5 wasn't slated for MG 131 so I think the armament they're talking about was the wing armament?

Nothing changed at the rear, so it is all happening around the wing/mid-fuselage. I think it is the bringing in of more exotic, heavier wing weapons and the increasing use of the centreline rack for drop tank and bombs (either actual or envisaged).

The A-8 had the MW 50 tank installation behind the cockpit which shifted the centre of gravity backward and, as a cure, the under-fuselage mounted ETC 501 bomb rack was moved 20 cm forward. This rack became a standard from the A-8 model.

Matt

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Basuroy said:

Intend to make a hangar diorama with the airplane undergoing service and all

Note, the armament difference will be visible if the gun panel is open, the A-5 has 7.9 mm MGs, the A-8 the 13mm,  hence the bulged gun cowl  panel of the A-8 compared to A-5.

Is there not an A-5 set?   

• Like 1

Budget restriction folks , the engine set costs almost same as the model itself and the A-5 kits have such nice decals that it is what I want(otherwise would have just got the a-8 as well) ....

I have like 4 different e-modelshop tabs open on my browser , the less I buy , the better :)

Edited by Basuroy

28 minutes ago, Mattlow said:

Maybe just add the A-5 gun set. That'd give you the MG 17s and their decking and the smaller cover...?  Less expense.

Matt

Yup that is a good idea and I will infact do that. When I am doing it , might as well go the full length .

1 hour ago, Graham Boak said:

Hang on - if the armament moves the cg too far forward then moving the engine further forward is entirely the wrong thing to do.  Whatever the reason was, that wasn't it.

Exactly! So I think that newer and stronger (more heavy)  armament moved the center of gravity  backward, what had to be compensated by moving engine forward :)

The more effective cooling could be an additional benefit.

Cheers

J-W

I doubt it.  The position of the guns in the wing would not produce a significantly aft movement to compare with the mass of the engine moving forward.  Compare other aircraft types that saw significant increases in wing armament.  The Fw190 was already notorious for poor engine cooling.

4 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

The reason I have seen for the engine move was to improve external stores carrying capacity for the ground attack role i.e. to move the empty CoG forward so that more/heavier bombs could be slung aft of the CoG, without moving the CoG too far aft in the fully loaded state.

Edited by Vlad

3 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

PS  According to Smith & Creek (Classic 18, Fw190 vol 1) the engine was moved forward to improve the cooling.

http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/fw190jb_1.htm

A-5

Now comes the first big change

In an effort to overcome both weight distribution problems and the eternal engine-heat problem, the entire engine was moved forward 5+ inches. This results in a longer cowling for the MG cover, fuselage side panel, and a special insert near the wing roots.

• Like 2