Best 1/48 Do 17 and 1/48 HE 111 BoB era?

One 48

Looking to do a full set of BoB era aircraft in 1/48, good to go for the Hurricane and Spit MK1's, (Airfix n Tamiya) I'll need a 109 and Stuka too of course, but always wanted to build a Do 17 especially, have a 1/32 HE 111 that will be getting sold and would like a good quality HE 111 in quarter scale too.

Focusing on a Do 17 though for now though, I understand there are one or two kits out there, BoB ones? ICM I think it is, is one manufacturer, how are they for quality and ease of fit? I guess not up to Tamiya standards, but anything reasonably well fitting will be fine, not a greatly skilled modeller to be honest but can make a decent model out of something that Tamiya do these days ... who cant? :)

Advice appreciated please.

Only ICM. Classic Airframes Do-17 is an expensive short run halfhearted attempt, and ancient Hobbycraft... least said, soon as mended :D

Revell/Monogram He-111 is a H-4/H-6 mix with undersize engine nacelles, again IMO surpassed by ICM.

As to ICM fit, it varies but they have improved a lot. Still, dry fit, dry fit, then glue.

Cheers,

Vedran

• Like 1

IIRC both the ICM 17 and 111 had in-box Reviews on a certain Australian-based site, with plenty of photos to give you an idea of General optics. And I'd be very surprised if there weren't any builds around here commenting on the respective fit and any issues to be Aware of. 

• Like 1

Thanks guys, will do more research, but reading between the lines might hold off on a good 1/48 Do 17 and even same scale He 111 for BoB area and hope Tamiya or Airfix do them one day.

Without starting a new thread, what about good 1/48 BoB  Stuka's, 109's and 110's?

The ICM Dornier DO-17 has a couple of issues to be addressed if accuracy is your thing - they got the engine/cowl braces wrong (not even close), and the horizontal tail is inaccurate - the 'beaver tail is way to wide, and they completely missed the variable incidence tail plane.  I built the Classic Airframes kit a few years back and found it to be a challenging but rewarding experience.

bramo20eng_zpsf4e2f352

engine 10_zpsi159hetb tail 5_zpsbbvxsl3v

tail drawing

I had an ICM kit, but dealt it away, as there seemed to be almost as much work require on it as the Classics kit, but at 3 time the price. (IMHO)

I can give the mods required, if your interested.

I've also built (back dated to an H-2 BofB) the Monogram kit and quite enjoyed it - as an aside, it can be had for 1/3 the price of the ICM kit here.  The Monogram has a couple of quirks, but builds up nicely - it doesn't have all the interior that the ICM does, but most can't be seen anyhow.  I have never built the ICM for comparison, but never felt the need.

I'm not trying to be contrary, just saying don't completely discount the older kits.

Edited by Tail-Dragon
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, One 48 said:

what about good 1/48 BoB  Stuka's, 109's and 110's?

By "good"  I assume you mean "most accurate"

Stuka, the only B-1 is the new tool Airfix kit, and they also do a B-2.       IIRC there are more BoB B-1's

Hasegawa (reboxed by Revell of Germany ) do a B-2 that I've not seen wailing or gnashing of teeth about, but overall the new tool Airfix is the 'best' I beleive.

The Italeri B-2 kit has some issues, cockpit in wrong place, horrible spinner, and it's expensive. Avoid.

The old tool Airfix kit is, old, bit basic, but does have rivets, and Stukas are rivetty.  Can be got cheap, also came in a Heller box.

Bf 109E, Airfix, later issues Tamiya and Hasegawa (again, reboxed Revell)  are all rated.

The Eduard kits is neat, well detailed, but reputed slightly overscale,  not a problem if not next to another kit.   

The Hobbycraft reboxed by Academy is a copy of the Hase kit IIRC.   

Bf110,  either Eduard Bf110C (or the harder to get D) or the Dragon kit.   There is the very old Fujumi kit as well, which was reboxed by someone.   the Eduard kits are easier and cheaper options in the UK, and the profipack will have masks.  reputedly tricky to build.

Like all these things, opinions vary,   have search,  see what you think of the pros and cons.  

HTH

• Like 1

There seems to be a recurring myth that the JU-87 was covered in domed rivets and was as 'warty' as a DC-3.  When I looked at the Stuka at the RAF museum (admittedly a JU-87G) was that it wasn't that crude. It stretches credulity to think they changed from dome rivets to flush with the development of the 'D ' or 'G' variants.

P8292398

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Jordi said:

Interestingly, the Ju87R-2 that is being restored by the Flying Heritage & Combat Armor Museum in Everett, Washington, which I was fortunate to see a while back, is completely smooth except for the very aft most part of the fuselage.  The rest of the fuselage and wings are flush riveted.  

12 minutes ago, Tail-Dragon said:

There seems to be a recurring myth that the JU-87 was covered in domed rivets and was as 'warty' as a DC-3.  When I looked at the Stuka at the RAF museum (admittedly a JU-87G) was that it wasn't that crude. It stretches credulity to think they changed from dome rivets to flush with the development of the 'D ' or 'G' variants.

Thank you. Indeed, a look at walkrounds of the Hendon

http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/richard_tsang/junkers_ju-87/ 

and Chicago

https://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft/ju87/ju87b_walk.shtml 

planes shows flush rivets,  but some screw on panels underwing, and  on the wing the rivets lines are noticeable on the upperwing, but flush.

well, that's useful to know.  Glad of the correction.

cheers

T

Thanks again folks, ordered a Tamiya 1/48 109 E, looking at an Eduard 110 and an Airfix Stuka as near future purchases.

Am thinking sticking to 1/72 for bombers now, already have 2 of each 1/72 Lancs and B-17's, will look at 1/72 Do 17's and 111's soon, bound to be more choice in this scale, really do need to sell off my 1/32 stash, I was crazy to think I'd have room to display them.

Really was surprised with the quality of those 2 1/72 Lancs especially, new tool ones, 1/72 has come on a long way since the first time I tried 1/72 decades ago.

Love the WNW 1/32 stuff, will keep that, they are not that big once built, have a 1/32 Dambuster Lanc on pre-order from Hannants, will cancel that and order up a couple of Dr 1's once available, those and Tamiya 1/32 single engine fighters I'll keep, will sell my Tamiya 1/32 Mosquito I think for afore mentioned size considerations.