Junkers J1(J4) the first Flying Tank AKA the Flying Furniture Van - 1/48 Scratchbuild

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

resized_3a2e623a-4ff5-4b56-918d-1b8cb157The last of the struts added. This is so very nearly finished that I’ve decided it stays on the bench till it’s done.

I need to add a pair of struts to the tail, add control horns and wires, fit the upper wing, radiator, propeller and parebellum and put crosses on the upper wing, then a bit of remedial paintwork. An hour or two tops.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Very ambitious task due to corrugated surface. I appreciate your efforts! 

Let me share with some thoughts.  Some years ago I have another technique to do such surfaces in scratched model - I was copying the surface from a existing model surface (for example making new upper part of fuselage in Junkers K-43 converting from W-34 or in early G-24 converted to G24h ) by covering wing with silicon and then filling the obtained  form with a thin layer of epoxy glue. Such thin layer was flexible enough to cover any surface or just to make desired surface (for example a new fin+rudder)  and I was able to cut it with scissors. before it was completely fixed. When was fixed it was easy to sand and was not as fragile as the alu foil is. Also an idea came to me that perhaps the good alternate here would be in cutting the wings out from a Ju-52 kit in 1/72 wings... Of course it would not be that ambitious...

Best regards

J-W