Space Marines!

Hello everyone,

I wasn't sure where to put this as it's mostly figures but maybe later I will be adding vehicles so I guess Science Fiction it is.

I was introduced to warhammer about 2 years ago by my college flatmate. he wasn't into building and or playing but had lots of books and a very good looking wallpaper on his computer so I went out and bought my first set of figures. it was the easy to build primaris intersessors with the paints. they came out okay and I gifted them to my flatmate. but somehow I was fixed... Over the last 2 years I bought the dark imperium starter set, the start collecting sets of Space marines and adeptus mechanicus, and some other sets. some of the models where started and some almost finished but mainly not. I am mostly a modeller, so my figures will be display pieces more than gaming equipment. I have not jet started reading the rules book but will do so someday...😅

So I guess now is the time that I start building and more importantly painting all those models to give me an army for the unlikely event that I will find someone in my vicinity to play with...

I will start this thread with a terminator squad. they look awesome and should boost my mojo for this project.

Before I show you the pictures of my progress so far I want to express my admiration for the work of @Will Vale I hope to someday, with lots of practice, come close to your painting and photographing skills.

that being said... my pictures are horrible and my painting skills... well those figures are something else than my usual ships...

so let's get started

T01.jpg

T02.jpg

I started to decide the poses and equipment each model should get. I have no idea whether this is conforming to the rules or not, it just looks cool and gives an interesting squad.

T03.jpg
T04.jpg

I joined as much as I thought was good for painting and after sanding all mold lines and drilling out the gun barrels I fixed them with blue tac.

T05.jpg

After priming everything with alclad primer I started with a basecoat of tamiya flat blue. I used tamiya because I had not much luck with airbrushing the citadel paints. I will experiment more when I get my hands on some flow improver as the tamiya paint retarder did not work so well.

I also started the head of the squad leader... (Now I wish I had a good camera on a tripod)

Its mostly sephia and light pink washes over white basecoat follows by some highlights... I'm still practicing blending colors in smooth transitions and I will most likely go over it again.

T06.jpg

please excute the red around the mouth... It looks like he had a long kissing with a lady of the night😅

I did not see exactly where the mouth was until I took the picture... I will fix that later and use my magnifying glasses to properly paint the lips (if I get the paint to the right consistency)

Anyways... All tips, criticism, jokes, and general comments welcome!

Cheers Konrad

• Like 8

Well, not much progress over the weekend but I managed to build myself a lightbox for taking photos

67-C12509-DCC3-4182-973-B-0131-F4-C04-BD

which brings the quality of my pictures to a whole new level, even though I still use a phone for it.

here‘s an example:

84-BB0-BF3-A6-D9-4455-BFA3-940-D361-A0-F

I also went over the face again, this time wearing 3,5x magnifiers and got it to a point where it still looks rough in closeup but rather ok from a normal viewing distance.

3-AC892-EA-EEA7-4-A83-9-A7-D-5-DC2813-CB 

D794249-A-DA82-4-CD6-AB76-268-BBCC723-C5

That‘s it for now

cheers Konrad

• Like 4

I wasn’t happy with the blue over gray primer so I gave them all a coat of black followed by a white highlight from above. Therefore I blue tacked the arms to the models in the desired position.

A80-B1-B7-E-DACF-45-F4-A5-B9-F716263-BDA54707-ED0-5-C59-4577-9-B49-0-DE9-D65-D5503324753-8510-4-B6-D-9-E4-B-76-C493828-B

703044-A5-F307-4314-9-F1-B-556-AE3-E8-CB

I then gave them several light coats of blue until I was happy with it. The panels show a nice gradient. I might go over it again adding a few drops of white to the blue to emphasize the highlight a little further.

C4-F5-C9-E2-BDE1-4531-9-FE8-579-C200-A0-B9-B59-E09-A66-A-4-BEC-A73-F-DD85-D94-DB15-BCE348-206-D-4-BB8-8-F9-A-703-FBF9-D0

0-BDB4-EE3-9-A6-B-4-DB6-9001-C94391-A97-

I also made some progress on the little beacon thingy that was also in the box

I‘m pretty happy with the yellow and hope to get a nice finish on the red light on top. Still in progress I have to say!

393-FDB90-274-E-4649-9-A05-3-FABB0992-DB

that’s it for today.

• Like 7

Today I made some progress on the squad leader/ sergeant by blocking in the other colors and then I tried to get some smooth highlights on the blue and white. On these close ups it looks really crude but from normal viewing distance it's quite convincing...

First time using a wet palette for this. It makes painting a little bit easier but I still lack talent/experience to get the results I was hoping for. Well I guess it can only get better from here.

T07.jpg
T08.jpg
T09.jpg
T10.jpg

I'm undecided whether to continue with this figure or bring the others to the same level first...

Any comments welcome

Konrad

• Like 4

Looking good! I do like SPACE MARINES although I hardly ever seem to build or paint any...

I think you've got the hardest bit nailed - picking out all the details against the power armour. The chest eagle, kneepad and crux terminatus on the shoulder look excellent. The edge highlights on the bolter look really good too, they're very sharp.

For the face, you could try mixing a little grey with your skin tone and glazing over the jawline and top of the head to add a bit of stubble? Keep the paint quite thin for this and unload your brush on tissue like you were applying a filter rather than a wash.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 2

On 19/08/2019 at 23:41, Will Vale said:

Looking good! I do like SPACE MARINES although I hardly ever seem to build or paint any...

I think you've got the hardest bit nailed - picking out all the details against the power armour. The chest eagle, kneepad and crux terminatus on the shoulder look excellent. The edge highlights on the bolter look really good too, they're very sharp.

For the face, you could try mixing a little grey with your skin tone and glazing over the jawline and top of the head to add a bit of stubble? Keep the paint quite thin for this and unload your brush on tissue like you were applying a filter rather than a wash.

Cheers,

Will

Thanks Will,

comming from you that really means a lot to me as I admire your figure painting skills!

next update should be out soon, habe been blocking in all the base colors on the other marines and already started on the next squad. An old pewter vanguard veteran squad that a friend of mine gave me together with his whole crimson fist army that I will repair for him.

cheers Konrad

Hello Folks!

Now the promised glamor shots...

sort of...

T14.jpg

the Sergeant:

T15.jpg T16.jpg T17.jpgT18.jpg

next is the guy with the chainsword on his forearm...

T20.jpg T20.jpg
T21.jpg T22.jpg

and the brothers with the heavy weapons... not the brightes but effective

T23.jpg
T24.jpg
T25.jpg

and last but not least the Rocket Man

T26.jpg
T27.jpg
T28.jpg

So after finishing this squad, what's next you ask?

Well...

Van01.jpg

or...

Cap01.jpg

or maybe something from this lot... :whistle:

001.jpg

Anyway, thanks for watching. all sort of comments welcome - even sarcasm...:D

Cheers Konrad

• Like 9

Nice work. I didn't think that a light box would make that profound a difference. 

I'm back to the hobby after 25 years away, so essentially starting from scratch. I'm painting up some Ork Nobz currently but the standard is really poor...I know what I want to do, but I am technically inept!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ProjeKtWEREWOLF said:

Nice work. I didn't think that a light box would make that profound a difference. 

I know what I want to do, but I am technically inept!

I was really surprised how much better the pictures are with such a simple booth!

and I too know the problem with expectations vs reality... for me it’s blending colors for smooth transitions. All those YouTube tutorials make it look so easy but I just can’t pull it off...

3 hours ago, DalekCheese said:

Beautiful. The start collecting space marine box, perhaps? Dreadnought.

I feel like I want to keep the dreadnoughts as a “reward“ for painting up two ten men squads (tacticals and primaris intercessors)...

But the Captain in Terminator Armour out of that Box seems fitting🤔

thanks for the input!

Konrad

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, USS_ESSESS said:

I feel like I want to keep the dreadnoughts as a “reward“ for painting up two ten men squads (tacticals and primaris intercessors)...

Fair enough. They’re really fun to paint though.

19 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Something I just noticed is that you have equipped three heavy weapons. Can't do that on a termie squad in the rules so you may have some issues if you decide to use these playing the game.

I guess then I‘ll have to do two more terminator squads😬

• Like 1

On 31/08/2019 at 13:16, Adam Poultney said:

Something I just noticed is that you have equipped three heavy weapons. Can't do that on a termie squad in the rules so you may have some issues if you decide to use these playing the game.

Are you aware of the consequences such words might have???🙈

EB5-E6707-56-DA-4137-9-E9-A-64-EA29-D9-F 

Yeah, me and my wallet fully blame you!

cheers Konrad

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, USS_ESSESS said:

Are you aware of the consequences such words might have???🙈

EB5-E6707-56-DA-4137-9-E9-A-64-EA29-D9-F 

Yeah, me and my wallet fully blame you!

cheers Konrad

It's a slippery path... Scale models have nothing on the number of kidneys you will need to harvest for this side of the hobby.

Just be aware that old marines are not as strong as the shiny new primaris rubbish they seem to want everyone to buy. 

But vanguards with thunder hammer and stormshield will always be good

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, DalekCheese said:

Is it just me, or is it weird how even in the German editions they’re still called space marines and not [insert German for space marines]?

Because “Weltraum Marineinfanteristen” sounds a little bit weird... you know we Germans love our loooong words.🤪

Well beside going shopping I achieved something too!

After a rainy sunday and a rainy monday I finished another figure. Like I hinted friday it is the captain in Terminator Armour.

As I'm doing Ultramarines it is Captain Severus Agemman, First Captain of the Chapter and the Regent of Ultramar, meaning that he is ruling the Homeworld when the Chapter Master is absent.

So here are the pictures:

TC01.jpg
TC02.jpg
TC03.jpg

And I also did some closeups to capture certain details better:

TC04.jpg
TC05.jpg
TC06.jpg
TC07.jpg
TC08.jpg

TC09.jpg

TC10.jpg

Seeing this pictures now on the big screen I see some mistakes and things I forgot, so tomorrow I will go over him again.

Thanks for watching

Cheers Konrad

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

So this is my last update for a while, as I’m back on my ship for the next months.

I did a little work on a squad of vanguard veterans. They’re the old pewter ones, lovely details but a lot of prep work and one was missing an arm which I replaced with a plastic one from the spares pile.

F4744CD0-FB61-4B60-B0F6-8A465140207D.jpg

Here they are, in various stages of unfinished:

DAB953CC-B304-426D-8363-F49282A295A9.jpg

BBB9EC6C-9D73-487C-8EC6-B32571D6385C.jpg

C79C10C7-7B77-425B-B6EE-DA37A3FA1EA2.jpg

E5EC9044-95C0-4858-97B5-1836FAE30D8E.jpg

and the one who’s closest to being finished:

FC7A9F74-287F-4A8F-A507-03F15E45EF4E.jpg

878A74EC-9738-43F8-A5D5-B1724523C843.jpg

2112EE44-6F9F-4154-BBB4-771EE778C215.jpg

Still a lot to do but I really enjoy those!

well I did. Now I have to play with big Diesel engines and such...😉

bye for now

thanks for watching.

cheers Konrad

• Like 5