Polywood relic pieces from a BF-109 G10

antonio argudo

Hi everyone, wanted to share these pictures from a polywood tail pieces  from a   Me109 G10/U4 W. Nr. 611008  that I recently acquired. it  crashed near Schoenberg due to flak fire,  they  are in great condition and show RLM 74/75/76.

good.jpg

IMG-20190804-032850.jpg

IMG-20190804-034954.jpg

IMG-20190804-035001.jpg

Whats-App-Image-2019-08-02-at-15-33-55.j

Whats-App-Image-2019-08-02-at-15-33-35.j

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

Wow, congratulations! And thank you for sharing these pictures. It is always nice to see "The Real Thing"; I mean this is just the thing we keep talking about here on Britmodeller.

It would be very nice to hear how these examples match with Monogram Luftwaffe painting guide for example😊

Kind Regards,

Antti

• Like 1

thank you Antti for your words, 

well, I don't have that book or luftwaffe chart , maybe if you have it you or anyone  could  post the 74/75/76 colors here would be nice,  although this method is not much scientific to say lol, a  spectrocolorimeter  would be ideal, I did this chart from my relics, I try different light conditions and this is what looks more accurate with what I see in the flesh although monitor calibration will vary from one to another, as a said not too much scientific but just a try, lol  

cheers

Screenshot-3707.png

Edited by antonio argudo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Antti_K said:

Wow, the colours in the scanned page seem to be very good matches to those Antonio posted (# 5). Both are based on "Observed Colours" which might help, but still...

Cheers,

Antti

thanks man for you words, well,I would call this orientatives colors only, what you see in your monitor may be different of what I see on mine, it is just impossible to match digital colors  with photos or book scans but just a interesting approach, nothing more that's why I will get my sample measured by a professional with spectrocolorimeter technology  

cheers

Edited by antonio argudo
  • Like 2

On ‎11‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 00:43, Antti_K said:

Wow, the colours in the scanned page seem to be very good matches to those Antonio posted (# 5). Both are based on "Observed Colours" which might help, but still...

Cheers,

Antti

The Monogram Painting Guide is now 35+ years old. While some of the factual information within the Guide has been superceded by subsequent research (Late War Greens for example), in my view the colour chips, camouflage plans and photos within are amongst the very best available for those of us with an interest in Luftwaffe colours.

It's well worth having a copy of this

SD

• Like 2

On ‎08‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 04:09, antonio argudo said:

some examples of other polywood 109 examples, they also show that  distinctive green protective undercoat paint and dark magenta stains, I'm guessing it is the glue used

5b59f73ea0223.png

Lovely pictures Antonio. Very clear with good colour balance and lighting.

I suspect the magenta colouring is Wood Sealer as below (this page is also from the Monogram Painting Guide) rather than glue. According to Hitchcock & Merrick this dark red primer was applied to wooden and metal surfaces. Perhaps the light green primer is RLM99 Yellow-Green?

Hope this helps

SD

Images posted for the purposes of research

Source: Merrick K and Hitchcock T (1980) The Official Monogram Painting Guide to German Aircraft 1935-1945 Boylston Mass. Monogram Aviation Publications

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by SafetyDad
Add extra picture
  • Like 3

thanks SD for the scans, I guess that green/yellow  does match with what I can see on the interior faces of the wood, it is quite bright and intense color, they also use it on the radio panel in the fuselage, like the picture below.

there is no red primer in my parts like in the LUX militare picture, but some dark  magenta stains, they are bright, looks more  like some kind of glue or resin  to me but I'm not sure what is yet... someone might know!

thanks again mate, cheers

Antonio

eduard648239reviewbg-10.jpg

Whats-App-Image-2019-08-13-at-05-52-38.j

Edited by antonio argudo
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, SafetyDad said:

The Monogram Painting Guide is now 35+ years old. While some of the factual information within the Guide has been superceded by subsequent research (Late War Greens for example), in my view the colour chips, camouflage plans and photos within are amongst the very best available for those of us with an interest in Luftwaffe colours.

It's well worth having a copy of this

SD

I have come to this conclusion as well because Thomas Hitchcock & Co. had a chance to study those remaining original colour samples "only" some 30 years after the WWII. Research today will have to work with samples almost 80 years old.

I already have three copies! It is worth noting that all the paint chips are identical in these samples. They are also almost perfect matches for current RAL K5 system (those shades still part of the RAL system).

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Antti_K said:

I have come to this conclusion as well because Thomas Hitchcock & Co. had a chance to study those remaining original colour samples "only" some 30 years after the WWII. Research today will have to work with samples almost 80 years old.

I already have three copies! It is worth noting that all the paint chips are identical in these samples. They are also almost perfect matches for current RAL K5 system (those shades still part of the RAL system).

Cheers,

Antti

Yes Antti, I agree. Hitchcock and Merrick were well ahead of their time, both in terms of the large, accurate chips provided but also in their recognition that there were wide variations in greys such as 76 and also that some other colours used were not yet fully understood or categorised. Subsequent books (and some authors) became rather dogmatic in their views and lost this capacity to remain open to new ideas and information.

SD

• Like 5