Bobcat 1/48th Yakovlev Yak-28P Firebar

Hi all, here's another project I finished recently for July's issue of Airfix Model World, this time a big lump of Soviet heavy metal in the form of the 1/48th Bobcat Yak-28P Firebar, a fantastic looking aircraft that seemed to be supersonic just sitting on the ground. Considering it's Bobcat's first kit in this scale I think they did a great job on the old beast. Being a huge fan of Soviet Cold War aircraft I never thought we'd see a 1/48th IM Firebar, let alone two, as Hobby Boss have just released theirs, contrary to some reports it's a completely different kit. Bobcat, we need more quarter-scale Soviet heavies, how about a Fiddler to go with it! 

Primed with Stynylrez Gloss Black (polished within an inch of its life) and finished using my favourite MRP metallic lacquers, AK Xtreme Metal enamels,  AKAN acrylics, AK filters and weathered using Abteilung oils and AMMO MIG pastels. Final finish protective layer applied courtesy of AK Intermediate Gauzy Agent...

Great fun...in fact I've got another one to build at some point, either as the short-nosed earlier version or maybe, if I'm feeling in a particularly masochistic mood, a conversion to the outrageously hopeless but interesting Yak-28-64 version.:banghead:

Thanks for looking:cheers:

Melchie

1-DSC-4189.jpg

4-DSC-4216.jpg

5-DSC-4203.jpg

6-DSC-4172.jpg

3-DSC-4217.jpg

7-DSC-4196.jpg

2-DSC-4190.jpg

8-DSC-4209.jpg

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 59
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, Gary Brantley said:

The Fabulous Fifties rock! 😀 Great looking Yakovlev!   Yes, by all means, they need to bring out more from this period.   Yours looks superb! :clap2:

Very well done model! I would like to see a new Su-15 and

a Yak-141, in 1/48th scale would be nice!

• Like 1

Thank you guys, as always your kind comments are very much appreciated. 

Deano,

Great looking model there, is it big?

It was indeed a big beast, 70 feet (21.36m) in length....to give you some idea that's the same as an RA-5C Vigilante, slightly shorter than an F-111 and 1 foot longer than a Lancaster.

It's great to see these kits coming out now, following on from this and the Brewer E, I hope they'll release a Yak-28R Brewer D at some point. The fifties designs were just so radical, (and they're just the ones that made it off the drawing board) just hope they continue the trend, I'd really like to see more 1/48th Soviet metal on the shelves. As for the top of my wishlist, the ultimate would be a Tu-22 Blinder, even though it would take up a lot of shelf space, what an imposing beast that would be, (could really go to town on that NMF!).

I would like to see a new Su-15 and

a Yak-141, in 1/48th scale would be nice!

Agree, a new quarter scale Su-15 would be particularly welcome.

• Like 3

That is really impressive indeed and definitely falls into the never thought we would see an injection moulded kit of one of these. The natural metal finish really is impressive. Could I ask how you did the beige canopy sealant?

Will

• Like 1

Could I ask how you did the beige canopy sealant?

Thanks Will, the sealant is ultra thin 0.4mm Aizu tape, sprayed using MRP Light Earth, cut to length, applied and trimmed. Once in place it's burnished down using a cotton bud and oversprayed with AK Gauzy Intermediate gloss coat until any hint of a step disappears (the tape's very thin so this doesn't take long)...this was followed by a topcoat of MRP Semi-Matt clear lacquer was applied to dull things down a tad and give a completely level finish, followed by a good polishing with 12,000 Micro Mesh cloth.  Hope that helps.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, general melchett said:

Thank you guys, as always your kind comments are very much appreciated. 

Deano,

It was indeed a big beast, 70 feet (21.36m) in length....to give you some idea that's the same as an RA-5C Vigilante, slightly shorter than an F-111 and 1 foot longer than a Lancaster.

It's great to see these kits coming out now, following on from this and the Brewer E, I hope they'll release a Yak-28R Brewer D at some point. The fifties designs were just so radical, (and they're just the ones that made it off the drawing board) just hope they continue the trend, I'd really like to see more 1/48th Soviet metal on the shelves. As for the top of my wishlist, the ultimate would be a Tu-22 Blinder, even though it would take up a lot of shelf space, what an imposing beast that would be, (could really go to town on that NMF!).

Agree, a new quarter scale Su-15 would be particularly welcome.

Bobcat just brought out an Il-28 Beagle :) :)

and yes, everything above is needed!

GREAT model by the way!

• Like 1

Thanks again chaps,

Bobcat just brought out an Il-28 Beagle  

Hopefully, I should have one of these soon, wouldn't mind having a go at a Mascot conversion.

Some great suggestions for future releases too, to which I would add a new 1/48 Su-7 family.

Thanks MM, totally agree..I'd also add to that the big Mikoyan E-150/152 family, though I have serious doubts that would ever happen in 1/48th. Never mind, I'm more than happy with the 1/72nd Modelsvit offerings for the time being.

• Like 1

It's a stunning model - and photography too. The NMF is simple outstanding - hats off :worthy:

May I ask what MRP colors you chose for the metals? I would like to give them a try because

they look more convincing to me than the Alclad stuff I use.

Lothar

• Like 1

On 8/8/2019 at 12:02 PM, general melchett said:

Thanks Will, the sealant is ultra thin 0.4mm Aizu tape, sprayed using MRP Light Earth, cut to length, applied and trimmed. Once in place it's burnished down using a cotton bud and oversprayed with AK Gauzy Intermediate gloss coat until any hint of a step disappears (the tape's very thin so this doesn't take long)...this was followed by a topcoat of MRP Semi-Matt clear lacquer was applied to dull things down a tad and give a completely level finish, followed by a good polishing with 12,000 Micro Mesh cloth.  Hope that helps.

Thank you for that detailed response. When you used the Gauzy gloss and MRP semi-Matt lacquer I take it that you masked the clear portion of the canopy?

On 8/7/2019 at 8:45 PM, general melchett said:

if I'm feeling in a particularly masochistic mood, a conversion to the outrageously hopeless but interesting Yak-28-64 version.

That one's been on my 'to-do' list for years - but in 1/72 scale.

In your case, put the Bobcat Firebar parts into the Trumpeter Su-15 box, shake it up and pour it out - and Bingo! - a Yak 28-64 :thumbsup:

If you do get around to doing it, I'll be watching with interest......

Ken

PS - Quite nice Yak-28P BTW...... :worthy:

PPS - Building the Contrail vacform Yak-28P was what got me into modelling Soviet aircraft - about a zillion years ago!

• Like 1

Thanks guys, very kind of you all.

May I ask what MRP colors you chose for the metals? I would like to give them a try because

they look more convincing to me than the Alclad stuff I use.

Lothar, I find MRP lacquers fantastic to use as they have very fine pigments and flow beautifully right down to 12psi. Like Alclad they're pre-thinned but seem to cover more evenly and never form rough areas/pools that Alclad sometimes tends to do, plus they are hard wearing and buffable. For this one I used MRP-3 Super Silver as a base coat and a mix of MRP-128 Silver, 008 Duralumin, and 146 Dark Aluminium for the wing panels,  030 Steel, 081 Anodized Aluminium for the engine nacelles and fuselage underside and 147 Burnt Iron for the engine exhausts. I also mix many of these paints to form custom colours and heavily thinned versions to use as washes.  Give them a try,hopefully you'll get good results... I don't really feel the need to use Alclad any more.

When you used the Gauzy gloss and MRP semi-Matt lacquer I take it that you masked the clear portion of the canopy?

Scimitar, yes, absolutely, the Gauzy won't affect the clear parts but the MRP will. For this one (and in fact all my models) I prefer use the excellent New Ware masking sets that includes inner glazing masks just to make sure. The MRP is sprayed at a low psi in multiple thin coats to reduce the chances of any bleed through, just a matter of taking your time and a bit of patience.

Hi Ken,

In your case, put the Bobcat Firebar parts into the Trumpeter Su-15 box, shake it up and pour it out - and Bingo! - a Yak 28-64 

If you do get around to doing it, I'll be watching with interest......

Not a bad idea, I'll have to try that!in fact if it's a Trumpy Flagon then we're almost ready to go as that kit has more than a few shape issues! To be honest it wouldn't be that bad a conversion looking at the parts breakdown. I think I'll probably give it a bash, so stand by your bed, (but don't hold yer breath)...

PPS - Building the Contrail vacform Yak-28P was what got me into modelling Soviet aircraft - about a zillion years ago!

Oooh, I remember that too! never got one but I do have a built but not painted Amodel jobbie lying around somewhere. I'm much keener on 1/48th for these aircraft and leave 1/72nd to the big stuff.