1/48 Porsche King Tiger

Hello All,

Normally I only do 1/72 or 1/144 scale stuff and rarely venture beyond this. Even rarer, is a diorama attempt. Tamiya 1/48 King tiger (Porsche Production) figure from the Tamiya Wirblewind kit  and a Black dog resin building + a custom made base. Just have to fiddle with getting her to sit properly on the base.

Happy Modelling all. 

Ian

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 17

Nicely done.

This is one of the few in the 48th series that I never built. What did you think of the kit? I'm assuming the grills did not come with the kit?

I see what you mean about needing to fuss with the sir. Maybe adding rubble to the street will mask the gaps? :)

I'm really digging your paint job, and the weathering on the wheels and tracks looks amazing.

Care to share a step by step next time you do this?

To answer SoftScience, The kit is standard Tamiya fare and goes together without stroke inducing dramas. They are such great kits and the engineering is superb. I am aware that a lot of people were not happy with the die cast hulls of these earlier 1/48 jobs but I have encountered no major issues.

Yes, the grills were aftermarket.

I admit to being a bit of a fan of the Mike Rinaldi school of weathering as a reliable basis of getting things to look good to my eye. Not everyone likes the really stressed look but it's a matter of taste. I do tend to vary things a bit. some of the scratches are derwent coloured pencil marks. I just go with things as I feel what seems plausible.  The tracks were painted NATO black and Mig track wash added. Then it was dried mud pigment added and fixed with tamiya X20A diluent. A bit of dark mud pigment was added after the previous 'mud' had dried using the same technique. The roadwheels got the basic 3 tone camo, initial pinwash of burnt umber oils on the bolts. If I remember correctly it also got a mig neutral wash. then they were dusted with mig pigment dry mud and tamiya X20A used as a fixer. after that layer had dried, MiG dark mud was added, fixed and allowed to dry. The additional staining on the roadwheels was a pinwash of shadow brown (abteilung oil) and s bit of streaking.  Thanks for taking time to ask questions. experiment and have fun.

Ian

Edited by Farnarkle