QF-4G paint color ?

Hello everyone ? More questions about F-4 Phantoms ? This time its F-4G 69-0254 when it was a drone in 2000-2001. In the photo I've linked it looks like its taking off out of Nellis AFB in Vegas. 

https://flightaware.com/photos/view/248147-44754ec0c92610ad1a0417b74c9d604f5458ef1b/user/Habujet/sort/votes/page/1

While a drone it wore a dull mustard yellow paint. Is this paint zinc chromate or some variation of it ? Still somewhat new to Phantoms as I've always concentrated on props until just a few years ago. Now I'm becoming a major fan of the Phantom. Thank you in advance ? 

Dennis

35 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

While a drone it wore a dull mustard yellow paint. Is this paint zinc chromate or some variation of it ?

It's a primer, yes.

Welcome to the Dark Side. ;)

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Hook said:

It's a primer, yes.

Welcome to the Dark Side. ;)

Cheers,

Andre

Dont suppose you would know if it have an FS # by chance. Or will it be something I'm going to have to mix ? 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

3 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Dont suppose you would know if it have an FS # by chance. Or will it be something I'm going to have to mix ? 

I don't think it has an official FS number. I have an old tin of Humbrol 81 that's a good starting point (before their paints became unusable). Recently I've used Vallejo Air 71107 Yellow Zinch Chromate which also looks to be in the ballpark.

HTH,

Andre

• Thanks 1

I have used Humbrol 81 too, seems a decent match for zinc chromate. My tin is pretty old as well. Some of Humbrols more recent offerings are rather watery to say the least.

Talking of aircraft flying in primer only, my favourite has the be the Binbrook Lightning F.6 back in the eighties. Very unusual.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Timbo88 said:

My tin is pretty old as well. Some of Humbrols more recent offerings are rather watery to say the least.

After 30 years, I stopped buying Humbrol altogether because of the total lack of quality. Pity.

Cheers,

Andtr

• Sad 1

Now a lightning in primer would be interesting ? As for Humbrol paints i haven't seen a Tin since 1987-88 around here. I can remember i had those or the little square Testors jars growing up in the 80's. I will probably use Tamiya or some other variation of Zinc chromate with a little standard yellow and maybe a hint of tan to get the dull mustard color. Zinc chromate seems a bit to bright and green caste to match on the F-4. 

Strictly speaking it's still a standard F-4G in that photo. It doesn't have the very distinctive 'destruct hump' on the spine or the additional antennae for the NOLO (No Onboard Live Operator) system. The tag on the linked page indicates it was taken at Victorville, California, I would think that the picture was taken during a test flight shortly afer a Depot Maintenance visit. Given the grey tanks and radome, I suspect it was then going to be finished in the Hill Grey scheme, so it's more likely that it was taken about 1988-89. 69-0254 was converted to a QF-4G in 1998 and finally expended in June 2001. QF-4s weren't repaiinted during conversion, after all why paint something that's going to have a short life and a fiery ending. 😉 The exception would be the Heritage Flight jets but even these ended up at the wrong end of a missile launch.

As to the primer, just go with something you're happy with. It won't have a specific FS number as the primer's protective properties are more important than being an exact colour; I've seen a similar picture of another F-4G which looks more of a lemon yellow! Airbuses are notorious for being a patchwork of green primer shades, just look at this A380: https://www.airliners.net/photo/Untitled-Lufthansa/Airbus-A380-841/1711644?qsp=eJyrVkrOzytJrSgJqSxIVbJSSsxJKs1V0lEqSCxKzC1WsqqGiHimKFmZmpma1tYCALDvEKo%3D . The primer on each section will be of the same specification probably from different suppliers but, since it'll be overpainted, having a uniform colour isn't important.

HTH,

Jonathan

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, XV571 said:

The tag on the linked page indicates it was taken at Victorville, California, I would think that the picture was taken during a test flight shortly afer a Depot Maintenance visit. Given the grey tanks and radome, I suspect it was then going to be finished in the Hill Grey scheme, so it's more likely that it was taken about 1988-89.

Thanks a lot for this info Jonathan, Ive looked at the link multiple times and have never seen this info. Thanks for seeing it and helping to define the time frame for the photo. This may go into the list now as a candidate for my F-4G build. Nothing wrong with the Hill grey scheme but always nice to have options and a colorful build is always nice to have in the display case or shelves. 

Dennis