What are you reading - Part II

jrlx

"As I walked out on a Midsummers day", by Laurie Lee, the sequel to Cider with Rosie & another refugee from the book fair last month, I'm quite enjoying it, though Spain pre the Civil War doesn't sound like a must visit place to me. :unsure:

Steve.

Because I binged watched "Slow Horses" a week or so ago, anyone else see it? I decided to reread the Slough House books by Mick Herron and I have to admit I am enjoying them more the second time around. Seems more continuity reading them back to back. I am currently half way through "Spook Street", the fourth book and fifth story, there is a novella called "The List" between "Dead Lions" and "Real Tigers". My model building is suffering because I'm still trying to recover from covid, (long covid?) but I am enjoying Mick Herron keeping me company. :)

Edited by Billy54
spelling
  • Like 3

@Billy54, I share your enthusiasm for the Rivers of London books. I'm looking forward to reading the new one, Amongst our Weapons.

Currently in hand; How soon is now? A history of independent record labels, the bands and the people who ran the labels. 

On the bedside cabinet; Never by Ken Follett, his latest long novel, about a virus, some jihadis, and an US president.

Together with the 3rd and final part of the Attlee PIne trilogy, Mercy, by David Baldacci. 

He has written some of the best US thriller and crime books I've read over the years, I'd say he is probably a better writer than Lee Childs, whose Jack Reacher books I have also enjoyed immensely. And also on the bedside cabinet are Billy Summers, by Steven King, and Hirohito's war, by Francis Pike.

2 hours ago, Whofan said:

@Billy54, I share your enthusiasm for the Rivers of London books. I'm looking forward to reading the new one, Amongst our Weapons.

Currently in hand; How soon is now? A history of independent record labels, the bands and the people who ran the labels. 

On the bedside cabinet; Never by Ken Follett, his latest long novel, about a virus, some jihadis, and an US president.

Together with the 3rd and final part of the Attlee PIne trilogy, Mercy, by David Baldacci. 

He has written some of the best US thriller and crime books I've read over the years, I'd say he is probably a better writer than Lee Childs, whose Jack Reacher books I have also enjoyed immensely. And also on the bedside cabinet are Billy Summers, by Steven King, and Hirohito's war, by Francis Pike.

Could you be confusing "Rivers of London" with River Cartwright? :)

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Billy54 said:

Could you be confusing "Rivers of London" with River Cartwright? :)

If it were possible to hang my head in shame anymore it would fall.off!!

Why on earth I thought you wete writing about the Rivers of London books I have no idea !!!

As it happens, I have read every Slough House book and novella, I share your enthusiasm for the series.

12 hours ago, Whofan said:

If it were possible to hang my head in shame anymore it would fall.off!!

Why on earth I thought you wete writing about the Rivers of London books I have no idea !!!

As it happens, I have read every Slough House book and novella, I share your enthusiasm for the series.

Please don't let it bother you, I can easily see myself making the same jump, both books have a "River" in them. By the way did you get the opportunity to watch the "Slow Horse" show? Gary Oldman plays Jackson Lamb.

• Like 1

It does annoy me when somebody writes a book and rides on the fame of an author with a very similar name. I've read, and thoroughly enjoyed most of the books by Michael Connelly, so when I was looking for some new books to read at an animal charity, I thought that I'd found one that I hadn't read before. When I started reading it, the style was completely different. Then I looked at the name of the author.......Michael Connolly. What a crock!

So now I'm back on firmer ground.....The Racketeer, by John Grisham.

John.

• Like 1

Just started Brothers In Arms by James Holland. Have to admit this is the first time i've read one of his 'historicals' and am very impressed thus far. Lots of detail but easy to read and follow. Once i've finished this one i'll be getting his Sicily 43. I've read a couple of his Jack Tanner books and found them to be great reads. 

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Billy54 said:

By the way did you get the opportunity to watch the "Slow Horse" show? Gary Oldman plays Jackson Lamb.

No, we don’t have Disney - yet. Depending on my forthcoming stern words with Sky over a sly, un- notifies price increase we might be ditching sky movies for Disney.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Whofan said:

No, we don’t have Disney - yet. Depending on my forthcoming stern words with Sky over a sly, un- notifies price increase we might be ditching sky movies for Disney.

Here in the US it's on Apple tv. What you need is a close relative, in our case a son, who subscribes to all sorts of streaming platforms and when he finds time to visit puts them on our various electronic devices. :) 

ALmost finished "Spook Street", Roddy Ho is starting to become my favoutite character.

Just now, Billy54 said:

Here in the US it's on Apple tv. What you need is a close relative, in our case a son, who subscribes to all sorts of streaming platforms and when he finds time to visit puts them on our various electronic devices. :) 

Almost finished "Spook Street", Roddy Ho is starting to become my favoutite character.

4 minutes ago, Billy54 said:

ALmost finished "Spook Street", Roddy Ho is starting to become my favoutite character.

D'oh, yes, not Disney Apple tv here too!

I wonder if I can make 3 mistakes in 3 posts??

Sadly we don't have a close relative who can do these things, I have to rely on the power of argument.

🙄

Edited by Whofan
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

It does annoy me when somebody writes a book and rides on the fame of an author with a very similar name. I've read, and thoroughly enjoyed most of the books by Michael Connelly, so when I was looking for some new books to read at an animal charity, I thought that I'd found one that I hadn't read before. When I started reading it, the style was completely different. Then I looked at the name of the author.......Michael Connolly. What a crock!

So now I'm back on firmer ground.....The Racketeer, by John Grisham.

John.

Michael Connelly who writes the Bosch series? I like his work it's easy to read and moves along nicely.

Have you seen the Bosch series on Prime Video? They are worth watching especially if you want to see some of the sightsd in and around Los Angeles.

6 minutes ago, Whofan said:

D'oh, yes, not Disney Apple tv here too!

I wonder if I can make 3 mistakes in 3 posts??

Sadly we don't have a close relative who can do these things, I have to rely on the power of argument.

🙄

Here's your chance for the hat trick. :)

• Haha 2

Started reading Wilber Smith's, "The Quest" the forth in his ancient Egypt series, so further adventures of Taita the eunuch. After about 5 pages I'd kicked it into touch. Either my tastes have changes dramatically or Mr Smiths abilities as a writer went down hill somewhat in his later years. I'd quite enjoyed the earlier of the Egyptian books, this last was too far fetched & implausible by far for my taste. Since started on "On a Wing & a Prayer" by Di Websdale-Morissey, yet another refugee from the book fair & probably the best buy of the lot. The story of the 1934 MacRobertson  Air Race from London to Melsbourne. Much more my style I think.

Steve.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, psdavidson said:

If it sways the argument, Apple is (was) cheaper than Disney.  See if you can get a free trial, binge watch the series, then cancel.

/P

Good advice!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Billy54 said:

Michael Connelly who writes the Bosch series? I like his work it's easy to read and moves along nicely.

Have you seen the Bosch series on Prime Video? They are worth watching especially if you want to see some of the sightsd in and around Los Angeles.

Yes, Harry Bosch, or to give him his complete name, Hieronymus Bosch. Great books, and as you say, easy to read. And with his background in crime reporting, Michael Connelly  knows what he's talking about.

John.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Started reading Wilber Smith's, "The Quest" the forth in his ancient Egypt series, so further adventures of Taita the eunuch. After about 5 pages I'd kicked it into touch. Either my tastes have changes dramatically or Mr Smiths abilities as a writer went down hill somewhat in his later years. I'd quite enjoyed the earlier of the Egyptian books, this last was too far fetched & implausible by far for my taste. Since started on "On a Wing & a Prayer" by Di Websdale-Morissey, yet another refugee from the book fair & probably the best buy of the lot. The story of the 1934 MacRobertson  Air Race from London to Melsbourne. Much more my style I think.

Steve.

Steve,

I think Wilbur Smith had ghost writers for his later stuff and just outlined a story and let them get on with it. 🙄

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Neil.C said:

Steve,

I think Wilbur Smith had ghost writers for his later stuff and just outlined a story and let them get on with it. 🙄

That may explain it, I thought it was just rubbish.

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I enjoyed his early stuff many years ago, The Courtney family, Eagle in the sky etc but then, for me, the quality or maybe just my interests, drifted away.

ATM, I'm halfway through Bomber Flight Berlin by Mike Rossiter. The real story of a bomber crew on 57 Squadron at East Kirkby.

Where they came from, how they got together, and what happened after they joined the Squadron in 1943.

There are also interesting Bomber command facts and numbers. A very good read. :poppy:

I just received from World of Books (for a very good price) Sea Harrier over the Falklands. Sharky Ward.

It's years since I last read it, And the 40th anniversary is as good an excuse as any to rectify that! :poppy:

BTW, World of Books currently have a buy three get one free offer going!

• Like 4

On 7/12/2022 at 2:32 AM, Neil.C said:

Steve,

On 7/12/2022 at 8:44 AM, stevehnz said:

That may explain it, I thought it was just rubbish.

Steve.

Turns out after some checking that Smiths ghost written stories began about 2012 & were published by Harper Collins, the Quest was publish 2007 by Macmillan. So not ghost written but still rubbish imho. :shrug:

More on the whole unhappy saga here.

Steve.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just finished Lancaster Target and Mosquito Victory by Jack Curry. Now reading Lion by Conn Iggulden.

If you want something a little out of the ordinary, read the Charlie Parker series of books by John Connelly. Murder/Thrillers with a very strange supernatural twist. Love em.

Whatever your tastes, whatever your favourites, JUST KEEP READING.

Regards

Pete

• Like 3

Engrossed for some time in Sharon Lee and Steve Miller's SF novels revolving around their "Liaden universe" - sixth book in a row. I would never have believed it when I was half done with the first one. More than twenty in the serie ...... some recharging of the ebook reader will be needed 😁

• Like 1