What are you reading - Part II

jrlx

1 hour ago, Neddy said:

The Time Police series by Jodi Taylor.  An excellent offshoot of the Chronicles of St Marys series - absorbing and hugely entertaining slightly sideways look at time travel.

If that’s your kind of thing, can I suggest giving Connie Willis a try? The Doomsday Book and To Say Nothing of The Dog are set in the Black Death and Victorian Englan, and Blackout and Firewatch in WW2 London… I loved all four…

best,

M.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Neddy said:

The Time Police series by Jodi Taylor.  An excellent offshoot of the Chronicles of St Marys series - absorbing and hugely entertaining slightly sideways look at time travel.  I'm halfway through the 4th in the series and have already pre-ordered the 5th which doesn't see the light of day until next June, sadly.

Ooh that looks interesting.

As much as I believe that it is not something that humans will ever achieve, time travel is still a favourite fictional topic of mine. Especially when they go back in history. I really enjoyed Michael Crichton's Timeline for instance.

I'm off to Amazon to check Jodi Taylor's work out!

Getting back to the thread:

Currently reading "X-Troop: The secret Jewish commandos of WW2" by Leah Garrett. It is a fascinating story with some horrific scenes being described that highlight the brutality of war - and of people - at its worst.

Recently finished Shockwave: Countdown to Hiroshima, which was similarly great to read while being difficult to digest. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Richard E said:

I've just finished Voyager by Carl Rackman ( @Alan P of this parish) - a very readable fusion of political thriller and science fiction so I've already laid hands on a copy of Sentinel, the second leg of the trilogy. 

That's amazing! Thanks very much 👊😉

• Like 1

Getting slowly through more James Herbert

Finished The Fog last week, now on to The Survivor :) 

Need easy reads at the minute due to being really busy at work, these I can just pick up and put down easily :) 

Winged Victory, by V M Yeats. Following a recommend on here as to what is the best read on WW1 flying, I picked a copy up. About 2/3 of the way through & absolutely enjoying it, fascinating, moving, poignant, thrilling & frequently thought provoking. It'll get another read I should imagine.

Steve.

• Like 1

Maybe me.  I have read three versions of this now but the more recent printings have been abbreviated/bowdlerised and lack parts I remember as a teenager.  If the copy you are reading is more original I'm jealous.  My first one was a library copy of the Henry Williamson-sponsored reprint from around 1960.

• Julien locked this topic

Hi,

Site protocol is you report these types of threads when they hit 40 pages and start a new one. Now someone appears to have started a new one but others continue to post here and not request its locked down. 

Please adhere to what has been agreed to help the site function in a better way.

Julien