What are you reading - Part II

jrlx

2 hours ago, bootneck said:

Hi Dave,

how detailed are the drawings?  Would there be enough detail to scratchbuild some models?  If so, then I may have to invest in a copy.

cheers,
Mike

Hi Mike,

Most of the drawings are concerned with hovercraft theory etc and only a couple of cutaway drawings similar to the "Flight Magazine" layout for the SR.N4 and SR.N1 which to be honest are too fuzzy to be of any use. There are two plan views of the SR.N4 showing the layouts of the Mk1 and Mk2 as well but no side or front and back profiles. Having the kit in front of me, I can't really see how it would be possible to scratchbuild any of the hovercraft featured using the book drawings alone. Actually, the Airfix SR.N4 kit painting profiles give top, side, front and back views and if used in conjunction with the plans and photos in the book, it should be relatively easy (!!) to draw up plans yourself.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't blame you, Mike. It is a lot of money especially as it won't give you the plans you need.

BTW, I have scanned the Airfix SR.N4 Hoverlloyd painting profile so should you decide in the future that you would like to scratchbuild one, you can get it at: https://davecov.org/modelling/models/pictures/miscellaneous/SRN4/Airfix_SRN4_Painting_Profile_Hoverlloyd.jpg

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Dave,  I've saved that.   I am hoping to do the hovercraft sequentially, starting with SR.N1, if I get detailed enough plans.  I just need to get a couple of GB items completed first. :frantic:

cheers,
Mike

• Like 2

So there I was last night, stricken with insomnia and deep into the Borneo boys book.

A lot of the Whirlwind missions were to resupply army hilltop observation posts that were actually small forts along the border.

Our young hero RAF pilot (aged about 22 & on his first tour)* is bimbling along (solo) in poor vis on the way to one such place.

The idea is that an RNZAF Bristol Freighter comes in, does the supplies paradrop, and the chopper lifts said loads to the top of the hill.

Otherwise it takes the troops at least half an hour to get each load to the top in 90% humidity.

Suddenly our man is jolted back to reality as 'G'DAY!' comes over the VHF, and the Freighter stumbles past at a two knot overtaking speed!

Cue Whirlwind into holding pattern until the drop is done. It made me laugh out loud. This is one fabulous read!

*These guys came straight from Helicopter school at RAF Tern Hill. A couple of familiarisation flights and they were sent off solo over the jungles!

• Like 3

Having been on 'one of those hilltops'  I can tell you it was an enjoyable sight when the Whirlwind arrived.  Fortunately, we had a landing pad made out of a few logs so didn't need the para drops.

Mike

• Like 1

Lancaster. John Nichol. It follows the same format as his Spitfire book (another excellent read) in that it's memoirs of the crews and those who built them. etc.

There were three factories churning out Lancasters in the UK. At least 60% of the workers were Women. Want to guess how many babies were conceived or even

born in Lancaster Fuselages? No one knows, but apparently it happened.

Imagine this though, Lancaster over Berlin, final run in, Bomb bay doors open. Flak shell hits the incendiaries. 

Intercom goes out, 23 year old Pilot is trying to tell the crew to get out, the fire gets to the 4000lb Cookie.

The pilot found himself hurtling upwards, still in the seated position, arms out to hold what was the column, and thinking, "Where's my bloody Aeroplane?"

Another amazing read that I seem to be devouring way too fast!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Lancaster. John Nichol. It follows the same format as his Spitfire book (another excellent read) in that it's memoirs of the crews and those who built them. etc.

There were three factories churning out Lancasters in the UK. At least 60% of the workers were Women. Want to guess how many babies were conceived or even

born in Lancaster Fuselages? No one knows, but apparently it happened.

Imagine this though, Lancaster over Berlin, final run in, Bomb bay doors open. Flak shell hits the incendiaries. 

Intercom goes out, 23 year old Pilot is trying to tell the crew to get out, the fire gets to the 4000lb Cookie.

The pilot found himself hurtling upwards, still in the seated position, arms out to hold what was the column, and thinking, "Where's my bloody Aeroplane?"

Another amazing read that I seem to be devouring way too fast!

Brave men, and we will remember them

• Like 2

Finished A brief history of 7 killings, which centres around the attempt to kill Bob Marley in 1976.

Oh, it was hard going. 

Now I'm reading Walk the wire by David Baldacci. It has a surprising plot twist! I'm enjoying this more than 7 killings, to be honest.

• Like 1

Just finished Twilight of the Gods by Ian W Toll. It's the final part of his huge Pacific War trilogy (Vol 1 is Pacific Crucible and Vol2 is The Conquering Tide). They are all large books but well written and very readable. Toll not only covers the actual battles (naval, air and land) but also the personalities, politics and 'home front' narrative too.

Just finished rereading John Wyndham's The Kraken Wakes for the third or fourth time. The style is a bit dated (it is more than 60 years since the book first came out, after all) but still a great yarn.

I've now started The Hail Mary Project by Andy Weir. Not far in yet, but looks to be every bit as good as The Martian, which was a cracker!

• Like 1

Slowly reading 'On the Shoulders of of Atlas' by Chris Gibson. 

One of the interesting snippets of interest in the book is that in the early 1950s, the RAF was slated to receive about 56 C119 Flying Boxcars under MDAP. They were being obtained for use in the UK and Europe to free up Hastings and Valettas for use in the Middle and Far East. Unfortunately the deal fell through as the USAF needed the C119 in Korea. Anyone fancy a C119 in Transport Command colours? 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I am currently half way through, the 600 page, "Lady Joker, Volume One" by Kaoru Takamura, it is the first of her books to be translated into English. I am finding it a bit of a struggle because of the long introduction and history/background of the characters, the author laying the foundation of the plot and understanding the mentality of modern Japanese corporations and its effects on Japanese society. Perhaps being translated from Japanese into English may be adding to my struggles.

The plot, according to the reviews, consist of five Japanese men of different backgrounds who meet weekly at the horse racing track and decide to kidnap the CEO of a Japanese beer company and hold him for ransom. I am now at the point in the book where a plan to kidnap the CEO is starting to take shape. 

Volume Two is in the process of being translated and should be available next year.

On a more lighthearted note the postman left these for me yesterday. It is of note that the USMC Phantom book contains a few photos taken by a fellow modeler and a very good friend of mine. :) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, paul bardell said:

Have got 30% of the way into  Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir,  this is every bit at good as his first book -  The Martian.

Very enjoyable so far.

:poppy:

I saw this in Sainsbury last week, from the dust jacket it looked a good read - glad to hear someone’s enjoying it! I’ll wait for the paperback to come out.

I’ve just finished Richard Osman’s Thursday Murder club.

I liked the premise, but - and this is a personal point of view only - I didn’t think it was as good as it was cracked up to be.

Everyone’s taste is going to be different to mine, so take no notice of me.

I’ve also just finished Mawdsley’s  War for the seas, a brisk but satisfying account of the sea war in the various theatres. 

And have started Trinity, a biography of Klaus Fuchs by Frank Close.

Air Force Blue, by Patrick Bishop. A History of the RAF in WW2. Though it starts way before that with details of the expansion plans.

Even I'm learning stuff I didn't know! Even as late as 1935 the Air Marshals wanted more bombers than fighters built!

Well worth a read.

Losing The Battle, Winning The War. Story of Ben Parkinson MBE. Most injured British serviceman ever to survive. Great book about a very brave and determined Yorkshire lad. Actually met him year before last at the Yorkshire Wartime Event. Top bloke 👍

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

Most of my fiction 'reading' is by audio book these days for several reasons. Recently finished listening to 'The Secret Commonwealth', the second Book Of Dust by Phillip Pullman. It is actually quite dark in places and as well as having a pop at corrupt organised religions, also has a go at extremists and authoritarian government. I shall be interested in where the third book goes. 

By way of contrast, I am now listening to an air sea rescue drama called 'Let Not The Deep' by Mike Lunnon-Wood. So far I have found it gripping and a good listen. 

• Like 1

I sometimes listen to audio books in the car when i'm going to get the boss from work. Last one was James Herbert's The Fog read by Christopher Lee. Next up may be The Exorcist also read by Mr Lee. He had the perfect voice for audio books. 

Previous one to that was Swan Song by Robert McKimmon. Run time of about 15 hrs so took a while to get through but very enjoyable.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 2