What are you reading - Part II

jrlx

Im slowly working my way through this right now. 

https://www.amazon.com/Lost-Airports-Chicago-Nicholas-Selig/dp/160949900X

My Sisters in law gave it too me as a birthday gift. Its quite interesting as Ive walked or driven over most of the locations in my lifetime. Sadly I didn't even know some had ever been there. 

Modelart Australia. Aug/Sept 2020, issue 114. The last issue of the only Australian magazine that covers scale modelling. Tis truely a sad time that this publication has ceased to be continued for the future. 😭

• Sad 2

• 2 weeks later...

A recent spell in hospital gave me more reading time than expected so finished off:

021595.jpg

A deeply mis-titled book, much burdened as it is by reams of bureaucratic history and financial planning notes. Given the main author's usual area of specialization, I was surprised to see his name on a book of this nature and and should have been forewarned, so my mistake. Surprised at the narrow scope, privileging officers, politicians at the expense of crews and the wider place of naval service within society: in this respect a mentally dull and uncritical establishment history, one better entitled perhaps: 'An Economic & Political Account of the Submarine Service' (on many levels).

By contrast a couple of thrilling discoveries made up for this disappointment:

51HzuLhyaHL._AC_SY400_.jpg

His earlier book 'The Idea of North' was such an exciting joy to discover at the time and this promises more of that same sense of wonder.

I'm not familiar with this author:

41pMc2IwaUL._AC_SY400_.jpg

- but this looked far too irresistible to pass up on.

• Like 2

I've just finished reading '11.22.63' by Stephen King.  I do enjoy a good time-travel story, but this one was a bit different.  The idea, as you might guess, is for the central character to change history by foiling the Kennedy assassination.  The difference is that, instead of going straight to the appropriate time period, the time portal (aka rabbit hole) opens in September 1958, so the hero has to live in the past for five years before the event comes round.  I've not really been a Stephen King reader before, the only thing by him I've read was 'Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption' which I really enjoyed, but I really, really, enjoyed '11.22.63'

• Like 6

On 05/10/2020 at 16:21, 593jones said:

I've just finished reading '11.22.63' by Stephen King.  I do enjoy a good time-travel story, but this one was a bit different.  The idea, as you might guess, is for the central character to change history by foiling the Kennedy assassination.  The difference is that, instead of going straight to the appropriate time period, the time portal (aka rabbit hole) opens in September 1958, so the hero has to live in the past for five years before the event comes round.  I've not really been a Stephen King reader before, the only thing by him I've read was 'Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption' which I really enjoyed, but I really, really, enjoyed '11.22.63'

I'm glad to see someone else enjoy the book. For me, this was one of the best Stephen King books over the last few years.

I thought after the Tommyknockers (in Chronological order ) his books dipped considerably,  For me, since the Tommyknockers,  only the Green Mile, Under the Dome and From a Buick 8 were  worth reading, untl 22.11.63 which I thought was excellent. 

The best books since 22.11.63 have been the ones featuring the character Holly Gibney; Mr Mercedes, Finders Keepers, End of Watch, the Outsider, and Elevation.

I have to finish by saying the run of books from Carrie to Tommyknockers  was absolutely wonderful.

Except the Dark Tower series, which I could never get into.

Edited by Whofan
Spelling.

25 minutes ago, 593jones said:

I can see I shall have to read more of Mr. King!

I like a lot,  as I said, of his books.

That doesn't mean I recommend them 😉 Caveat Emptor, as they say.

I remember around 20 years ago enthusing over  Todd Rundgren to a new colleague, and I burnt him a CD of around 20 tracks as a sampler.

He returned it to me a few days later, saying, with a pitying smile, "You like this sh*te"?

I said, "oh yes, since 1972."

Is why I never recommend, just point out I like them!

• Like 3

On 04/09/2020 at 14:08, Wez said:

Now I've handed in the final assignment of my studies, I can now read for pleasure rather than studies.

Genuinely, I'm pleased for you. When I handed in my MPhil it took five years before I could read for pleasure, and I'd been an avid reader since childhood.! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Mm, think I might pop down to Asda later...

In the meantime I am reading Pearl Harbor: From Infamy to Greatness by Craig Nelson. A £5 bargain in The Works, and an absolute corker. In my view what a history book should be; informative, readable and entertaining. I've already downloaded Mr. Nelson's follow up on the Doolittle raid on my Kindle.

I fear my reading is starting to mirror my model building - buying faster than I read/build.

Yesterday, while at Barnes and Noble, I picked up the September issue of "Airfix Model World" and "Snow" by John Banville. I am half way through "The Accomplice" by Joseph Kanon with "The Ivory Grin" and "The Moving Target" both by Ross Macdonald and "Murder has a Motive" by Francis Duncan all waiting in the buffer for me to start reading again.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Billy54 said:

I fear my reading is starting to mirror my model building - buying faster than I read/build.

Yesterday, while at Barnes and Noble, I picked up the September issue of "Airfix Model World" and "Snow" by John Banville. I am half way through "The Accomplice" by Joseph Kanon with "The Ivory Grin" and "The Moving Target" both by Ross Macdonald and "Murder has a Motive" by Francis Duncan all waiting in the buffer for me to start reading again.

You're the third person including myself who's posted that they are reading/have read The Accomplice.

Joseph Kanon must appeal to modellers!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Whofan said:

You're the third person including myself who's posted that they are reading/have read The Accomplice.

Joseph Kanon must appeal to modellers!

While I enjoy all his books I feel his first two "Los Alamos" and "The Prodigal Spy"  were his best. I have to get back to "The  Accomplice" and finish it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Billy54 said:

While I enjoy all his books I feel his first two "Los Alamos" and "The Prodigal Spy"  were his best. I have to get back to "The  Accomplice" and finish it.

I thoroughly enjoyed those two as well. In fact, I still have my copy of Los Alamos and have read it several times.

• Like 1

Country Women's Association Soups and Stews. ISBN 978 0 14 320231 8.

Just tried one of the recipes, tasty kangaroo stew and substituted mashed potato for steamed potatoes and it turned out really well.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Have you read Time Line, by Michael Crichton?

John.

Yes, and I did enjoy it, but there was an awful lot of running around, being captured, escaping, running around, being captured, escaping, etc,, but a good read.  It was much better than the film, which was awful!

One book I did really enjoy was Doomsday Book by Connie Willis, which has a sub-plot about a Covid-like virus causing a lock-down in Oxford.  Quite timely!

• Like 2

Current read..............it'll take me many many months because just like any book, after about 3-4 pages I get bored.

the-british-are-coming-pb.jpg

I need to find another book like this one below.  Read it in 2014/2015...............was such a easy read.  Would love to find more WWII books since I'm back into the hobby again.

51aGTzecq+L.jpg

Following on from Graeme H, I'm part way through Morrisey's autobiography.

Let's say by page 135 we've reached him at around 18 years old. 

I have decided that I will finish the book on the off chance something interesting happens.

Oh wait - he's just about to meet Johnny Marr.