What are you reading - Part II

jrlx

@Whofan

Just finished The 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle, I guess the UK title was 7 Deaths so it seems she died 1/2 time extra crossing the pond. :)

I enjoyed it and would recommend it to anyone who likes a "who dun it" with a touch of deja vu. For me it did leave some unanswered questions but nothing that spoilt the story line or the plot.

• Like 1

The latest book for me is by Harry Harrison (with David Harris); Bill, the Galactic Hero and the Final Incoherent Adventure. It is a parody of Science Fiction genres, with a smattering of recent history. I find it very funny, and half the fun is tying in the written stuff with real-life stuff that was the inspiration.

Cheers,

Ray

• Like 1

Most recently finished Geoffery Cooper's:

41B+Fn-+duL.jpg

An odd book in many ways, one that veers from technical extracts to the anecdotal and personal, yet always much of fascination in it with regard to the development of various ways you can throw aircraft into the air and grab hold of them again. You can pick up a copy cheaply enough at the moment from second hand sellers as well for it to be worth a punt.

Currently at work on:

Bridle-New-Dark-Age.jpg

and already questioning how slovenly my thinking has been about the brazen levels of manipulation/abuse that confront us now on a daily basis.

By contrast:

The-Invention-of-Morel.jpg

is a short (easily read in an afternoon) novella (actually I'm not sure what category it really falls under) that melts your sense of reality like ice cream. Anyway. It involves an island and has Louise Brooks on the cover and makes you want to forget----

I forget...

• Like 2

On 03/08/2020 at 23:15, Billy54 said:

@Whofan

Just finished The 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle, I guess the UK title was 7 Deaths so it seems she died 1/2 time extra crossing the pond. :)

I enjoyed it and would recommend it to anyone who likes a "who dun it" with a touch of deja vu. For me it did leave some unanswered questions but nothing that spoilt the story line or the plot.

I finished it, but found it hard going to be honest.

I can't see any reason why it was titled 7 1/2 deaths in America, it must have been, as you say, the tedium of crossing the atlantic!

• Like 1

An update on what I have been reading.

Eight Perfect Murders by Peter Swanson, I had not read anything by this author but was intrigued by the inside flap synopsis of this work of fiction. The story takes place in Boston and areas around New England and concerns the main character, a book shop owner, writing a blog entry, a few years ago, which lists eight books containing murder mysteries which he considers are possible perfect murders. Fast forward to the present and it seems someone is attempting to recreate those perfect murders.  I found the plot interesting but could not warm up to the writing style of the author.

Death of a Doxy by Rex Stout. My reason for choosing this book was based upon the A&E Nero Wolfe series of shows which were first broadcast in the early 1990's. I did enjoy this particular show and wanted to see how close the book was to the TV version and was pleasantly surprised to find out that both the story line and dialog matched up very closely. I haven't read too many of Rex Stout's Nero Wolfs books but enjoyed those that I have read.

I plan to start The ABC Murders by Agatha Christie because well, it's Agatha Christie, and because it is one of the books mentioned in Eight Perfect Murders. (Although I really want to finish an Airfix Phantom which is really challenging me first :)

• Like 1

John Grisham - The Chamber. It's got all the fun of the fair; the KKK, bombings and deathrow. What more could anyone want to cheer themselves up?

John.

PS. It's actually quite good.

• Like 1

@Billy54,

Interesting set of books there -I will look out the 8 perfect murders book. Thanks for the heads up.

I've just finished the new Stephen Leather book, the Runner; have the new Tony Clement book Hitler's Secret and the new Stephen King The Institute to follow up. 

I say new, they are new in paperback.

Edited by Whofan
  • Like 1

I know this does not really qualify as I am not reading it at the moment, but yesterday I was, and finished it! It was 'Erebus' by Micheal Palin, and was a very interesting read. I have read lots of Arctic/Antarctic exploration books and this gave a lot more detailed information about what actually went on during the Erebus/Terror voyages. I loved it.

Ray

• Like 3

On 8/11/2020 at 11:09 AM, Whofan said:

@Billy54,

Interesting set of books there -I will look out the 8 perfect murders book. Thanks for the heads up.

I've just finished the new Stephen Leather book, the Runner; have the new Tony Clement book Hitler's Secret and the new Stephen King The Institute to follow up. 

I say new, they are new in paperback.

Eight Perfect Murders came out in March of this year and was still in the "new releases" section at B&N when I picked it up a few weeks ago, possibly because of the shut down.

Haven't read anything by Stephen Leather, but I shall keep an eye out. It seems he lives in Thailand where one of the authors I read, Colin Cotterill lives, I can recommend his Dr. Siri books and if you are interested you may want to start with his first Dr Siri book - The Coroner's Lunch where the background and characters are introduced.

Almost finished The ABC Murders and am really enjoying the book. 

The postman delivered two Ross Macdonald books that I had ordered, both Lew Archer adventurers - The Ivory Grin and The Instant Enemy.

• Like 1

Bohemia by Count Lutzow, revised edition, History of Bohemia to 1939

The English Conquest Of Ireland AD 1166-1185, Part I by Giraldus Cambrensis, in two parallel early 15th century texts

Falling Off A Cliff by Eileen Dover

Just now, Silver Fox said:

Re-visiting the Brother Cadfael novels by Ellis Peters, I read them  about 20 years ago so they are fairly fresh. Most of my favorite authors are dead so I must find some newer ones.

Ah! I must re-visit Cadfael. Good idea.

I know what you mean about favourite authors passing away.

Most of mine have gorn.

Absolutely loved Tom Sharp.

That's some more I need to dig out. I have them all in the loft. Well thumbed!

Rick.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Billy54 said:

Eight Perfect Murders came out in March of this year and was still in the "new releases" section at B&N when I picked it up a few weeks ago, possibly because of the shut down.

I've just done a quick Amazon search and it comes out in paperback next February over here!

I've put it in my wish list, thanks.

I've just finished Into the fire, latest Orphan X book by Gregg Hurwitz.

Reminiscent of the Jack Reacher style, but different.

And have now started the Accomplice, by Joseph Kanon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Whofan said:

I've just done a quick Amazon search and it comes out in paperback next February over here!

I've put it in my wish list, thanks.

I've just finished Into the fire, latest Orphan X book by Gregg Hurwitz.

Reminiscent of the Jack Reacher style, but different.

And have now started the Accomplice, by Joseph Kanon.

Thanks for the heads up, I've read most of Joseph Kanon's books but not Accomplice. I enjoy his work and feel he does a excellent job with his historical fiction.  Will look for Accomplice and pick it when I can.

• Like 1

Soldiers of Fortune, from Time Life's "The Epic of Flight"  Series. Given to me by an older friend. It is a interesting overview of many of the conflicts that have featured in these pages, from early aerial shenanigans in Mexico through to Vietnam with the Spanish Civil War, the Flying Tigers, Katanga & the Congo & Biafra to Vietnam along the way. Better than I'd expected.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Black Knight said:

The English Conquest Of Ireland AD 1166-1185,

I'm not much of a historian, but wouldn't that be better titled The French Conquest of Ireland. At that time, most of England was still reeling from the uninvited immigrants from across the Channel.

John.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 8/16/2020 at 8:35 AM, Neil.C said:

I enjoy reading reprints of vintage American pulp fiction.

Currently reading this.

The covers have nothing to do with it! 😉

spacer.png

You may be interested in the "The Big Book of The Continental  Op". It contains all of Dashiell  Hammett's Continental Op  stories which appeared in the popular pulp Black Mask from 1923 until 1929. The Dain Curse was serialized in Black Mask starting in October 1928.  

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Billy54 said:

You may be interested in the "The Big Book of The Continental  Op". It contains all of Dashiell  Hammett's Continental Op  stories which appeared in the popular pulp Black Mask from 1923 until 1929. The Dain Curse was serialized in Black Mask starting in October 1928.  

I certainly would be and will no doubt get around to buying the collection after I have got through some of my backlog.

I have a read a couple of Continental Op stories in other collections and enjoyed them.

Thanks for the heads up! 

• Like 1