What are you reading - Part II

jrlx

I'm now halfway through this one (again). I first read it a couple of years ago. Fascinating stuff.

Tales from the people who were there and who worked to build up the British Aircraft industry from about 1938 onwards.

We may not see the like again, they were a different breed. Bless them all.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Backroom-Boys-Personal-Britains-PAPERBACKS-ebook/dp/B014SVDRWO/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1HPDNRXBQ935M&keywords=backroom+boys&qid=1583001808&s=books&sprefix=backr%2Caps%2C174&sr=1-2

• Like 1

Islands in the Stream, by Ernest Hemingway. It has been a bit of a grind. & nothing to do with the Kenny & Dolly song. :( ;) I've not read much Hemingway, a couple of his African set works & the consensus seems to he his earlier stuff was his best so maybe being published posthumously says something about it. Taking it as semi autobiographical does give it a different dimension & makes it an easier read in a way. Not sure I want to try his early stuff or not. 

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Islands in the Stream, by Ernest Hemingway. It has been a bit of a grind. & nothing to do with the Kenny & Dolly song. :( ;) I've not read much Hemingway, a couple of his African set works & the consensus seems to he his earlier stuff was his best so maybe being published posthumously says something about it. Taking it as semi autobiographical does give it a different dimension & makes it an easier read in a way. Not sure I want to try his early stuff or not. 

Steve.

I'd recommend "For whom the bell tolls" (set in the Spanish Civil War) and "A farewell to arms" (set in WWI).

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, jrlx said:

I'd recommend "For whom the bell tolls" (set in the Spanish Civil War) and "A farewell to arms" (set in WWI).

Cheers

Jaime

Thanks Jaime, I'd already started to think on those lines, thought I'd start with Farewell to Arms, follow with, The Sun also Rises and finish with For Whom the Bell Tolls to complete my essential Hemingway. I wouldn't go so far as to say I admire him but in his enigmatic way, he was an interesting sort of coot that I've long had an uneasy fascination in.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 1

Just made a start on Vietnam - An Epic History Of A Tragic War by Max Hastings.

Have got past the end of French involvement and through the years in between until the beginning of more overt US involvement in the 1960s and it already casts a different light on events including the quite amazing about turns in both directions for and against by some US political and military leaders in those few short years and determination by some to have at all costs what was already being described as an unwinnable war before combat troops had even (officially) set foot in the country.

Edited by Des
year to years
  • Like 5

Raid 42 by Graham Hurley. I normally loathe and despise WW2 (or pretty much any) military fiction. Messerschmidts, Mohawks on 1944 recce missions in Europe, Americans winning the Battle of Britain, Spitfires on carriers and countless other mis-steps. Graham Hurley knows his stuff and can create leap of faith fiction without making those sort of mistakes. The plot is out there but believable and the writing is restrained.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just started reading Harry Turtledove's In the Balance series, great what if Sci Fi.

If you don't know it, it's set in WW2, when earth is invaded by aliens, who are lizards.

No, Harry Turtledove isn't an alias for David Icke, but the books are well written, funny in places, and just enough solid what if science to make it interesting.

He also writes some good battle scenes.

Now working my way through The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara -  This is a Pulitzer Prize winner about the battle of Gettysburg, I read this back in the mid 70's and this is still a very good read.

After this I will move onto the Drop by Mick Herron, if you have not read any Herron yet, please give them a go, start with Slow Horses, the first of the Slough house books.

• Like 1

I'm currently reading the unedited edition of The Stand by Stephen King, which is about a worldwide spread lethal virus (Capt. Trips), which escaped a laboratory in the US and killed 90% of the world's population. Quite timming read on the current events, huh?

Scary... :undecided:

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Uncle Uncool said:

I'm currently reading the unedited edition of The Stand by Stephen King, which is about a worldwide spread lethal virus (Capt. Trips), which escaped a laboratory in the US and killed 90% of the world's population. Quite timming read on the current events, huh?

If you're enjoying 'The Stand', you might want to cast your eye on the old BBC series 'Survivors' from the 1970's.  Not a cheery series by any means, Uncle, but quite timely.  Possibly a bit too timelyl

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivors_(1975_TV_series)   Available on YouTube.   By the way, avoid the 2008 'reimagining' at all costs, it was terrible!

Edited by 593jones

20 hours ago, Whofan said:

Just started reading Harry Turtledove's In the Balance series, great what if Sci Fi.

If you don't know it, it's set in WW2, when earth is invaded by aliens, who are lizards.

No, Harry Turtledove isn't an alias for David Icke, but the books are well written, funny in places, and just enough solid what if science to make it interesting.

I'm a Turtledove fan as well, have you read the Great War series?  Well, I say Great War, it starts with the Great War but carries on up to and including the Second World War.  Turtledove has some interesting ideas, although his writing style can get a bit ponderous.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 593jones said:

I'm a Turtledove fan as well, have you read the Great War series?  Well, I say Great War, it starts with the Great War but carries on up to and including the Second World War.  Turtledove has some interesting ideas, although his writing style can get a bit ponderous.

I've read those as well, as you say interesting ideas, especially in imagining the behaviour of historical figures, and I think you've got him down to  a T - a bit ponderous!

4 minutes ago, Whofan said:

I've read those as well, as you say interesting ideas, especially in imagining the behaviour of historical figures, and I think you've got him down to  a T - a bit ponderous!

Yes, there was one phrase he kept using, it drove me mad!  "I won't say you're wrong, because you're right"  How many times did he use it!!!  And that US sailor who suffered from sunburn, how many times were we told he had to use zinc ointment.  Aaaargh!!  Still enjoyed the books, though.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Uncle Uncool said:

I remember reading this when it first came out, and was amazed when it was reissued in the unedited form. I read it all over again and to be honest was quite annoyed it has been edited originally.

For me, I really can't separate this from Christine and It as the best ever Steven King book, though Firestarter and 22.11.63 run those close.

Having said that, his recent detective books (Bill Hodges trilogy) were a satisfying blend of his trademark "horror" and detective fiction.

• Like 1

On 3/20/2020 at 5:56 PM, Whofan said:

Read them a while ago and quite interesting and a bit different, although my favourite alien invasion story is 'Footfall' by Larry Niven and I think Jerry Pournelle. 

Currently very slowly reading 'Typhoon to Typhoon' by Chris Gibson and the NASA book on the X15 on the  Kindle App on my phone. It was very cheap as I recall

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 593jones said:

If you're enjoying 'The Stand', you might want to cast your eye on the old BBC series 'Survivors' from the 1970's.  Not a cheery series by any means, Uncle, but quite timely.  Possibly a bit too timelyl

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivors_(1975_TV_series)   Available on YouTube.   By the way, avoid the 2008 'reimagining' at all costs, it was terrible!

Nice, Jones, my mate! :worthy:

Thanks a lot. Will certainly look into that one. Too bad it's a series because I really like books much better but, as they say, beggars can't be choosers, yeh? Not in the mood to read cheery stuff these days, believe me, as I'm kind of losing faith quickly with regard to this pandemic bug and the lack of social commitment I witness every day.

People still don't seem to grasp the fact that there is a curfew into effect, and as I was strolling two blocks to the nearest supermarket today, I saw arsecaps walking their dogs and going out hand in hand with toddlers. :blink2: What's the point for most of us to heed the curfew and stay home if these jacknuts keep on spreading the bug all over the place by their idiocy?

Weren't it for my mum, I'd really give up on this, sincerely.

55 minutes ago, Whofan said:

I remember reading this when it first came out, and was amazed when it was reissued in the unedited form. I read it all over again and to be honest was quite annoyed it has been edited originally.

A mate of mine recommended I bought this book and the vendor warned me about the existence of an unedited form (really thick volume). The way the novel starts is quite overwhelming. That Harold Lauder is starting to get under my skin, tho. :lol:

Always wondered what parts in the book got edited.

Cheers,

Unc2 

2 minutes ago, Mr T said:

Read them a while ago and quite interesting and a bit different, although my favourite alien invasion story is 'Footfall' by Larry Niven and I think Jerry Pournelle. 

Currently very slowly reading 'Typhoon to Typhoon' by Chris Gibson and the NASA book on the X15 on the  Kindle App on my phone. It was very cheap as I recall

Footfall is great, isn't it?

My personal favourite Sci fi books are Fadeout by Patrick Tilley, the IceriggerTrilogy by Alan Dean Foster, and Needle and Through the Eye of a Needle by Hal Clement.

All books that I've always thought would make a great film.

3 minutes ago, Uncle Uncool said:

A mate of mine recommended I bought this book and the vendor warned me about the existence of an unedited form (really thick volume). The way the novel starts is quite overwhelming. That Harold Lauder is starting to get under my skin, tho. :lol:

Always wondered what parts in the book got edited.

He did, didn't he? I remember reading the unedited version and remembered enough about the original "version" to spot the edits.

South by Shackleton is getting a reread at the moment

If anyone fancies it for kindle you can get it free at https://www.amazon.co.uk/South-Story-Shac…/…/ref=mp_s_a_1_1 A true epic of leadership, stoicism, resolve and delivery in the face of danger, isolation and hardship. Never a better time to read it and strive to live up to the example set

Maybe even follow it up by rereading The Worst Journey in the World http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/14363

Edited by LostCosmonauts

1 hour ago, Uncle Uncool said:

Nice, Jones, my mate! :worthy:

Thanks a lot. Will certainly look into that one. Too bad it's a series because I really like books much better but, as they say, beggars can't be choosers, yeh? Not in the mood to read cheery stuff these days, believe me, as I'm kind of losing faith quickly with regard to this pandemic bug and the lack of social commitment I witness every day.

The creator of the series, Terry Nation, did write a novel, partly based on the series, but taking the story further.  Don't know the availability, but it is out there   https://www.amazon.co.uk/Survivors-Terry-Nation/dp/1409102645  I read it many years ago, and remember it as being even more downbeat than the series!

Cheers mate,

Dave

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, 593jones said:

The creator of the series, Terry Nation, did write a novel, partly based on the series, but taking the story further.  Don't know the availability, but it is out there   https://www.amazon.co.uk/Survivors-Terry-Nation/dp/1409102645  I read it many years ago, and remember it as being even more downbeat than the series!

:analintruder: Outstanding, Dave! Will check whether Amazon ships to Argieland and will order it right away.

Many thanks for the heads-up, my mate. Highly appreciate it.

Cheers,

Unc2

• Like 1

Recently found on the internet a couple of stories I read as a teenager and come across occasionally. 'The Machine Stops' by EM Forster, set in a dystopian future where the bulk of humankind live in beehive like cities controlled by a supercomputer and communicate through something very like the Internet. It was written in 1907. In much lighter vein and almost contemporary, is Rudyard Kipling's 'With the Night Mail' and 'Easy as ABC'. The version I have has wonderful period illustrations of the airborne craft of 2000 and excerpts and advertisements from the 'magazine' one of stories appeared in. Both are worth a read for different reasons.

A couple of my favourite alternate reads that are a bit steam punk (and one is held up as an originator of the idea) Harry Harrison 'A Transatlantic Tunnel, Hurrah' and probably the much better known 'The Difference Engine' by William Gibson and Bruce Sterling. Would love to see the latter as a good quality TV series as I think it is too complicated to make a good film. There was a rumour that one of big names was looking at it at one stage. 

Alarm Starboard, by Geoffery Brooke. The one I bought from Abebooks last year never showed, so I got this one from the NZ National Library through our local one, now closed because of the Bat Pox. :(

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz