HMS Hood Shapeways Aftermarket Turrets in 1/350 Scale

73north

rGayYEZ.jpg

I ordered these replacement Turrets from Micro Master on the Shapeways website last week , which arrived today
( he is based on Shapeways ) for the Trumpeter 1:350 scale HMS Hood.
The existing Kit Trumpeter turrets to their 1:350 scale Hood are a dog's breakfast.

With all the effort that the company put into the kit, it is amazing that they could so botch the turrets. The crowns are wrong.
The front face is missing vision ports.
There are missing details at the lower juncture of side plates and above all rear Turret vents for B and X Turrets . ( the 2 inner turrets )
These replacements add the correct Hex Nuts, Rivets, Periscopes, Stanchion Holders, Sighting Ports and Hatches

This is the final parts I really need to get HMS Hood built ( in the future )

264EAHF.jpg
the reason for the delay , was the sheer upheaval and stress of a divorce early this year - which I have finally recovered from it , although the financial ' hit ' still stings .

KqtFSqy.jpg
The 4 Turrets and Turret adapters were not cheap ( about 91 Euros including Shipping )
but I ordered the very best quality in printing - smoothest fine detail plastic
( you only get what you pay for )

hopefully of interest to the Forum ?

kind regards 73north

Edited by 73north
  • Like 4

Nice! I agree the Trumpeter turrets are a car crash. Do you have barrels also?

Have you used Shapeways stuff before?

If not, it's worth leaving anything they have made out in the sunshine for a day or three. They are only partially UV cured when they are packaged and sent, and this is the reason why they state that their stuff is incompatible with solvent based paints. They're not - they just need to be cured properly first :) Even if you want to use water based paints it can't hurt having the parts fully cured!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi

I was given the 3 D Printed Barrels also with the Purchase - with the sale - but I plan not to use them

( they will be either Metal - Master Models of Poland 15 inch Gun Barrels or the Supplied 15 inch Flyhawk Barrels from the Super-Detail set I also bought

I have used Shapeways before ( usually from Micro master ) - always delighted with the results - seen here on the HMAS Vendetta 1/350 Kit from Showcase Models of Australia ( now defunct sadly )

for the ' Refit ' Bridge which replaced the 1917 era Bridge supplied with the Model Kit

bDSWYDp.jpg

K1KeMJa.jpg

I have the out-of-production ArtWox Wood Deck ( and anchor Chain ) , Alliance IJN Battleship Mushroom Vents , G Factor HMS Hood propellers ,

and 2 Brass Pontos Ensign and Jack Staff's ( raided from HMS Prince of Wales set ) , and one one-of a kind in the world  -

I also got 2 Silver Pedestal Lintels added to the Kit supplied Display Base ) which have underside Metal Feet hidden underneath ( see photo of it used on HMS Repulse )

DInfnDA.jpg

I will show what the Shapeways Turrets look like ( the Repulse and HMS Walker was built for me by Steve Bowe )

r5kpFLkh.jpg

and when painted and fitted to the Model

IDnhfkF.jpg

I will have to buy Tetra 0.5 inch AA Quadruple AA mountings as the Flyhawk ones supplied are just folded etch

Edited by 73north
  • Like 4