"...from the Delta to the DMZ" - Part 2

06/24

Over in the armour forum I started a thread on my current Vietnam war builds. However the PBR feels out of place there, so this thread will follow the PBR build. There might be a hiatus while I crack on with the M151 on the other thread, but as a taster here's the bits before I begin work:

48474753781_ce805bc718_c.jpgUntitled by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

48474903032_a9fdf1eeba_c.jpgUntitled by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 9

I'm already confused (quelle surprise).

I know the Tamiya kit omits the exhausts, and that these were routed differently on different versions of the PBR, but most references I had found seem to show them exiting vertically down through the transom flat at the rear. (My knowledge of nautical terms is virtually non-existent so if I talk nonsense please let me know.) but I don't see how they can in this kit, as there doesn't seem to be room? More research needed I think.

By jove I think I've got it. My quick perusal of the instructions had not noted parts 45 & 46. These appear to (mostly) box in the sides of the rear gun platform/deck. They're just about wide enough for the exhaust system to squeeze through on the way to the back of the boat.

Herewith a dry fit to demonstrate:

48490873971_e6958d7c94_c.jpgD2 by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

I'm not convinced by the fairly large gap at the front of this part, visible even with the engine compartment covers in place, but at least they give me an idea on where the exhaust nozzles should be drilled.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...