Shorts PD.17 Lifting platform

Dr_Fester

Hi all,

I have a quick question.

I recently discovered the remarkable Shorts PD.17 lifting platform from the 1960's, a vertical take-off platform allowing a fighter/interceptor to be carried vertically before releasing the aircraft once forward flight had been achieved .

spacer.png

Like something from Thunderbirds, but I wonder if anyone has seen a model of this combination out there?  Looks like a great scratchbuild project......

spacer.png

The lifting platform alone had 56 lift engines! If the aircraft release sounded fraught then recovery included aircraft and platform matching speeds then 'simply' landing on the platform!!!

Personally I think its a crackers idea but hey it was desperate times and sometimes the obscure seems to make perfect sense. 

spacer.png

The EE P.17B would have been the ride of the poor unfortunate RAF pilot.

Needless to say the project was cancelled but a great what-if.

Cheers

Doc

• Like 4

How many engines??? That thing would have made a horrific noise I would imagine, had it been built.

Fascinating to read about those ideas that never quite made it to reality, the PD17 is a new one to me. Thanks for sharing.

Thx for your comments guys.  This will be a future project and have to decide what scale.

The Short PD.17 Lifting Platform

Length 1/72=325mm or 1/48=489mm

Span 1/72=199mm or 1/48=298mm

I'm really a 1/32 builder but even the 1/48 model might struggle for shelf space so I might have to bite the bullet and go for 1/72.

I am aware the RB.108 did appear and in fact powered both Short SC.1 aircraft, 5 engines in each.  In fact my father lived in Idmiston at the end of Boscombe Down runway during the exciting 50's and 60's and witnessed many prototypes in action.

20 hours ago, 71chally said:

...as did the P.17 which by way of Vickers input ultimately became the TSR2.

Yes so all that expense and wind tunnel testing did aid the magnificent TSR2 which saved the British aircraft industry......... oh........ no that didn't actually happen did it !

I gotta clear some desk space and make a start.

Doc

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Robert said:

So will it be 3D printed or scratch built from plasticard, would be great to see a WiP for this.

Regards

Robert

I'm intending to scratch from plasticard with formers and filler probably skin with thin plasticard sheet.  I envisage a shiney metal finish so some foiling ahead!

Yes I will start a WiP when it's underway, just have to scale some drawings up.

Doc

• Like 1