1954 - Hawker Hunter F.4 & F.6 - Final update Jan 2020

10 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

That's some mighty fine dials picked out there, what's your weapon of choice John? 

Cheers Dave. There's no fancy equipment involved, just some fine brushes and a steady-(ish) hand. Oh! and this special pair of glasses :nerd:

:winkgrin:

• Like 4

16 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

Cheers Dave. There's no fancy equipment involved, just some fine brushes and a steady-(ish) hand. Oh! and this special pair of glasses :nerd:

:winkgrin:

John made the glasses himself from the bottom of a couple of coke bottles and some brass rod :rofl:  

That pit looks amazing, great work good buddy. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

After a search on't'internet I have decided that this 4 Sqn Hunter F.4 will the subject of the 1/144 build, which should please @Hockeyboy76 (see post #16). I have made a start on painting this one, silver on the underside and DSG on the uppers, and I'll try to have it finished over the next week.

49043648621_2bb842003b_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr 

49043862682_0404166120_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

I have stumbled across some conflicting dates for the F.6, with an internet source quoting 22nd January 1954 as the first flight date, but my copy of Modellers Datafile (16) stating 23 May 1955 as the date, but with a F/F for the FGA.9 being given as 3 July 1859 I am not sure how accurate that date is :lol:. My original decision to build the F.6 was based on its first flight being in 1954, and so to be fair to the other modellers who have stuck to the rules for this GB, I think that I will continue with the model but I won't include this build in the gallery.

• Like 3

Hi John,

Don't know if this helps. Mason in the Putnam book on Hawker says that in 1951 Hawker began looking at a version of the Hunter with a reheated engine and 50 degree sweep known as the P.1083. Work was well advanced when in June 1953 the Air Staff decided they wanted a larger more powerful engine rather than one with reheat so Hawker began a redesign to use the Avon 200 engine instead. By using the centre section of the P.1083, Hawkers produced the model P.1099 aka Hunter 6 quite quickly and the very first one, XF833 made its first flight on January 22nd 1954! Another source ( "The Hawker Hunter" by Bradley - SAM Publications) confirms this and says that a number of pre-production conversions from Mk1 started to fly in March 1955, with the first true production one flying in October of that year - Mason just says pre production aircraft started flying in March 55. Deliveries to the RAF began in 1956. It looks like Modellers Datafile is out-voted!

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for taking the time to confirm the January 54 date Peter, it ties in nicely with the Wikipedia first flight date for the F.6 variant. I have the same reference book by Bradley and the May 55 date came from the table at the back of the book, which will teach me to pay better attention to the text in future, As a result of your input, I am pleased to say that the evidence is strong enough for me to include the finished model in the gallery.

• Like 4

John, please enter this little beaut into the GB Gallery once finished. At this late stage of the GB, I’m not going to argue over a few dates that might be incorrectly written here or there. Pete seems to have found a tie up so let’s just accept it all as 1954. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

On 12/11/2019 at 10:22, Rabbit Leader said:

John, please enter this little beaut into the GB Gallery once finished. At this late stage of the GB, I’m not going to argue over a few dates that might be incorrectly written here or there. Pete seems to have found a tie up so let’s just accept it all as 1954. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Thanks Dave. I added the first layer of Dark Green colour on the little F.4 yesterday and I will add a second coat tomorrow. Once that has dried I can get on with the decaling. I have started painting up the intakes on the F.6 and have more camouflage paint arriving tomorrow for this. Fingers crossed :fingerscrossed: that both make the deadline.

• Like 2

I finished painting the dark green camouflage on the F.4 yesterday and left that to dry overnight, then after two coats of clear this morning I made a start on adding the national and squadron marking decals Next job on this one is to sort out the serials, code letters and some stencilling, once I can get into where they are stored.

49068593543_4d2f6af627_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

49069115451_962209af9d_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

The paint for my F.6 build has arrived and I hope to start on getting that on in the next couple of days. Because our son lives in Groningen (not too far from Leeuwarden) I plan to do this one as the kits Leeuwarden based aircraft.

• Like 8

After adding the last of the decals and stencils yesterday, I brushed on some acrylic satin varnish this morning - and that completed the little 1/144 Hunter F.4.

49116043957_c08db2c6b3_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

49115850346_c6c8e740fc_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

I also managed to brush a second layer of Hu.163 on the 1/72 Revell F.6, but after looking at it again this morning it will need a third coat as a minimum. Unfortunately that means I won't have it completed for the deadline.

49115345728_abf9698256_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

49115848311_397f198a54_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

49115848946_f92c73c39a_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Great work good buddy. She looks cracking. 

Hope you manage to sort your “72” Hunter soon. 

Cheers matey. I hope to get another coat of green on tomorrow and all being well I can then start on the decals.

2 hours ago, ajmm said:

Superb. Beautiful work and the conversions seemed to go very nicely. I have far too many of these hunters unbuilt. I must be going now. This is all a bit too inspiring. 

Thanks for the kind comment buddy. The RetroWing parts fit well, you just need take some care making the cut on the rear fuselage. The wings fit OK with a little bit of adjustment but the. improvement they make to the intake area is worth it.

43 minutes ago, Murdo said:

I love 1:144 planes (the wee ones, not the airliners) and these are brilliant!

Thanks a lot Murdo, I think that this 1/144 Hunter is one of the best kits of its scale out of the Revell stable. 

• Like 2

That’s hugely impressive for such a small kit. No dramas about getting this over the line. You’ve had a great GB John and it’s always a pleasure to marvel at your excellent work. 

Cheers and thanks for doing part.. Dave 

• Like 2

On 25/11/2019 at 02:24, Rabbit Leader said:

That’s hugely impressive for such a small kit. No dramas about getting this over the line. You’ve had a great GB John and it’s always a pleasure to marvel at your excellent work. 

Cheers and thanks for doing part.. Dave 

On 25/11/2019 at 12:30, Ventora3300 said:

Love the build and the final result on the Hunter F.4, John, excellent modelling, at 1/144 too so outstanding. All the best. Mike

Thanks very much guys. Things have been a wee bit busy here since the FROG group build finished, and I am a little disappointed that I couldn't get the F.6 over the line. I am very pleased with the way that the F4 turned though and I have even managed to squeeze it into an already packed cabinet

On 25/11/2019 at 10:02, CliffB said:

Congratulations on another little beauty John.

Cheers

Cliff

Cheers Cliff. The Xtradecal sheet has plenty of choices, so there could be more to come, if I can find enough kits. Superb result with the Valiant by the way. :thumbsup:

• Like 3

Work continues on the Revell F.6 and I have finished painting the Dark Green camouflage, there is just a little touch up to do around the nose where the paint has peeled off when removing the masking after painting the black on the nosecone. I have also sprayed on a satin topcoat using a rattle can but I have to add a second coat once I can pick up another can.

49164589207_f3ca8e271d_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 4

Coming along nicely John. Paint peel is so annoying no matter how hard we try to avoid it. No doubt this will be another winner once finished. Good to see the continued progress on here. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1