Tamiya YZF R1

Well it's been a few months now since I first registered and completely messed up my first two kits. Disheartened and feeling sorry for myself I decided to go away and practice without the pressure of having to post updates and progress pictures.

The result was my first completed build.

Nothing fancy straight out of the box using Tamiya acrylic paints through my airbrush.

The eagle eyed may spot the missing decal on the fairing and the incorrect position of the Yamaha decals on the fuel tank but other than that it's not too bad (for me)

So that's the first one I completed and there are 3 more I will upload shortly

20190311_181226

20190311_181248

20190311_181407

• Like 9

Hi Chris, there’s nothing wrong with this!! The incorrect positioning of the decals is a minor annoyance, but it’s something else that you’ve learnt, and won’t do again. That’s the great thing about this hobby, you never stop learning how to do things better.

As for feeling “downhearted”, I found that posting my builds in progress and noting my mistakes gave me a lot of support from other forum members, and (as noted above) it was something more that I learnt. But whatever works for you, just don’t hide completed builds like this away, we need more bikes!! And remember that the superb builds that you see on this forum will also have mistakes in the eye of the builder, they know what they did wrong.

Good luck with your future builds, and keep posting.

Regards Ian

• Like 1

Hi Chris

Nowt wrong with that one.  You can park it in my shed any day !

It's nicely finished and I wouldn't have noticed the decal issues if you hadn't mentioned them.  I look forward to seeing your next ones....hopefully there's a Ducati amongst them........no pressure intended :thumbsup:

Cheers

Gaz

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kiwitrogg said:

Hi Chris

Nowt wrong with that one.  You can park it in my shed any day !

It's nicely finished and I wouldn't have noticed the decal issues if you hadn't mentioned them.  I look forward to seeing your next ones....hopefully there's a Ducati amongst them........no pressure intended :thumbsup:

Cheers

Gaz

Thanks Gaz.

I've been looking at other bike Kits and really fancied the Ducati 1199 S Tricolore alth6i haven't bought it yet.

What I did do though was buy another R1 to dominate the red/white colour scheme

• Like 1

I fancy building the Tricolore as well, I’ve built the 916 and Desmosedici, both are great kits up to the usual Tamiya quality. I’ll keep an eye out for your R1, hopefully followed by the Tricolore, that may give me the push to build it myself (there are a couple of other builds that need completion first).

It would be great to see some new bike kits from Tamiya, maybe looking at the Triumph engined range of Moto2 bikes or a couple of Moto3 bikes since they consistently give such great, close racing week after week.

Your other builds look great as well Chris

Regards Ian

• Like 2