Mig 25 foxbat finish in Steel?

Hi All

i am embarking on a mig 25 Foxbat model intended to finish the same in a bare steel finish. 

I have read read that mig built these aircraft with a stainless steel skin? Images appear well weathered with a flat aluminium finish?

any advice on how shiny the steel finish should be and how best to replicate the aircraft’s real in service appearance?

thanks in advance,

Foxbats were painted mostly in grey. The rear exhaust area was unpainted metal.

I have not seen an unpainted one I think!

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, exdraken said:

Foxbats were paimted mostly in grey. The rear exhaust area was unpainted metal.

I have not seen an unpainted one I think!

That's what I was thinking too, but I'm no expert. :hmmm:

1 hour ago, Caerbannog said:

I seem to recall the Ye prototypes were silver? But this was painted as well IIRC. Maybe you could show the MIG during a repint, after the grey was stripped to bare metal?

I am sure there was one stripped completely once.... if there are photos though...

Just build it! Sure looks impressive! But please do not claim it to be operational ;)

similar question 2 years ago:

Edited by exdraken

MiG-25s were usually painted with light gray (can't recall the FS equivalent) except for the area around jet pipes. Note that the main construction material was aluminium. Stainless steel was only used on leading edges and other small and pointy areas.

Somewhere I have a few photos of a MiG-25 that resided at Tampere-Pirkkala airport; one Finnish guy simply bought one when Soviet Union collapsed... Then he purchased a ladder (a tall one) and started to sell tickets for a "cockpit experience"! I don't know What happened to the MiG

Kind Regards,

Antti

• Like 2

Thanks!.

Great images.

That grey finish looks far easier to work on that the camoflage version!

I had thought these flew at high altitude? Why would they go for the mottled finish?

spacer.pngspacer.png

18 minutes ago, ipaul321 said:

Thanks!.

Great images.

That grey finish looks far easier to work on that the camoflage version!

I had thought these flew at high altitude? Why would they go for the mottled finish?

The tasks were different, including a low-level air defense breakthrough

Edited by NazarovVladimir
  • Like 1

I've personally been up close with the Mig25 and the aircraft was not painted with the exception of the black nose anti glare and red stars. The metal was a dull gray and the it did look like paint from a distance but up close it was just unpainted steel. When they were painted the grey was brighter than the steel. The Mig I saw was next to RIX airport in Latvia so maybe it was just that one but it was definitely unpainted. 

Edited by Deano353

1 hour ago, Deano353 said:

I've personally been up close with the Mig25 and the aircraft was not painted with the exception of the black nose anti glare and red stars. The metal was a dull gray and the it did look like paint from a distance but up close it was just unpainted steel. When they were painted the grey was brighter than the steel. The Mig I saw was next to RIX airport in Latvia so maybe it was just that one but it was definitely unpainted. 

All serial Mig-25s were stained. Оnly the prototypes E-155 were not painted.

1 hour ago, NazarovVladimir said:

All serial Mig-25s were stained. Оnly the prototypes E-155 were not painted.

I didn't realise that but the one I saw sure didn't look painted maybe I'm wrong but it looked like unpainted metal to me.spacer.pngspacer.png

I mean to me it looks unpainted and up close it sure didn't look painted. These aren't photo's I took but this is the Mig 25 you can visit at Riga.

spacer.png

Edited by Deano353

the rear end, around the nozzles are the areas normally unpainted 

40804514732_dee6eb55d7_b.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/787/40804514732_dee6eb55d7_b.jpg

supposedly the same aircraft:

you can clearly see the difference between the painted fin and the unpainted area around and in front of the nozzles. BUT: those aircraft are really heavily weathered and NOT operational!

the fin seven show some yellow primer! I do not think that are composites.....

Edited by exdraken

@exdraken I never noticed this actually I would guess that is the same aircraft as from the photos I posted you can see the yellow on the tail fins. I could have sworn it wasn't painted but I guess I'm wrong on that one. There doesn't appear to be a difference in colour from the front to rear fuselage in the photos I have. To be honest the aircraft in that collection were all in pretty bad shape with the exception of a few mig 23s and mig 21s they all had yellowed windows and really faded paint although the weather extremes from summer when I was there of about 34 degrees to however cold it gets and being Eastern Europe I'd imagine quite far below zero. It has been years since I was there so I would guess my memory has let me down on the colour of this one.

MiG-25 was designed for one purpose only: to bring down a Lockheed SR-71. So it could reach speeds in excess of Mach 3 in an environment where temperature is something like 60 Centigrades below zero. If the mission was flown in the summer, the difference between airport level and operating altitude would have been close to 100 Centigrades. And that temperature difference was reached in a few minutes. Add the compressibility which will give 100 Centigrades (but into the "opposite" direction) for some parts of the airframe. The paint used must have been something very special.

The one I examined here in Finland looked well weathered but all surfaces were extremely smooth. The paintwork was patched as it has been constantly retouched.

To my knowledge no fiberglass or carbon fibre was used. MiG-25 is an all-metal aircraft. Russians have used a dirty yellow protective coats in their aircraft since the late 1940s. Di-electrical panels (at the top of the fins) were some sort of "plastic".

Cheers,

Antti