A Cuban Balalaika for two: KP 1/72 MiG-21UM

Righty-ho, here's another completion for the year, KP's re-issue of the RV Aircraft 1/72 MiG-21UM in Cuban colours.

Colours are a mixture of Humbrol and Xtracolor; an old tin of Humbrol Authentic HG10 German WW1 Blue combined with 117 US Light Green for the uppersurface and 65 Aircraft Blue for the underside. Xtracolor X629 Soviet Cockpit Green/Blue, X628 Eastern Bloc Wheel Hub Green, Revell 6 Tar Black and various Humbrol colours were used for the details.

Decals are from Aztec Models' "Castro's Raiders" sheet. The model is semi-fictional as I went with the theory that MiG-21UM "Black 526" was probably initially camouflaged in the typical Green/Blue scheme and later repainted in to it's current Green/Sand/Brown one. I also used THIS image as a guide with some interpretation of other pictures of Cuban MiG-21's from THIS page and elsewhere.

A little history culled from the 'net:

...... Cuba received 5 MiG-21U on 1966 serial 401-405. Then in 1971, 6 more MiG-21UM serial 500-505 got to Cuba with a squadron of 12 MiG-21MF. In the 80s, 12 MiG-21UM were delivered to Cuba for used as combat trainers for regiment UM 7000 (Escuela de Aviacion Militar Comandante Che Guevara) under Squadron UM 1650 at San Julian air force base, the serial on these MiG-21UM were serial 522-534.

The kit itself is OK, but is typical limited run offering in that plenty of test fitting and filler is needed. It comes with two canopy options - a single part one for display closed and a three piece one so you can display the canopy open. I cracked the single piece one and had to use the three part one instead. Surprisingly the multipart canopy was a better fit! I used NH Detail's MiG-21MF Exterior and Quickboost's MiG-21MF Air Scoop sets as the kit is missing a few items (namely the "Odd Rods" IFF antennas) and the kit air scoops are a bit "blobby"!

Now for the photos:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Comments welcome!

Mike.B)

• Like 16