1957 - Airfix Cutty Sark (conversion) +++FINISHED+++

Ray S

That's looking so good now that it's had a lick or two of paint. It's all looking very straight and symmetrical which is testament to some good modelling skills. Nice progress Ray!. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

On 9/13/2019 at 2:39 AM, Rabbit Leader said:

That's looking so good now that it's had a lick or two of paint. It's all looking very straight and symmetrical which is testament to some good modelling skills. Nice progress Ray!. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Thanks Dave! I hope you have noticed there has not been an overhead photo...

The time has now arrived for me to look at fitting the sails. I had wondered about fitting them prior to attaching the masts to the boat, but, after the rigmarole I had fitting the masts, I am glad I did not. However, the aftermath did show up some of my deficiencies. I found things difficult to handle - masts got in the way, my tremors in my hands seemed worse than normal, but I prevailed and did not give in!

First though, I had to experiment. What was the best way to attach a sail to the brass rods? CA, I thought, so I used my practice sail, got out my non-shake 'helping hands' and give it a go:

48742325893_b0807dc0ec_b.jpg

Three small dabs of CA Gel on the brass, a steady(ish) hand on the sail, bring 'em together and hey presto, one sail standing vertically on the jib! Wow, way to go! It was really easy, and worked like a dream.

So, why would another sail NOT stick to the jib when I tried it for real? Four goes it took to get the sail on...I eventually laid the boat down on its side and used the upper jib to keep the sail in place for a few seconds, then reinforced the join with some thin CA as well. That worked, and soon afterwards had this:

48742657356_a3d76b847f_b.jpg

I had managed to stick the sails on with a bit too much over the top jib on the fore and mid masts, but got it right on the mizzen mast. Scissors soon rectified that issue. The fact that I had drawn them sightly over-sized helped too, as I was able to get them bowing outwards a bit, to give the impression of them billowing in the breeze.

I have also now glued on the bowsprit, and now I will leave this all to set solid before I begin to look at adding the rest of the sails and (gosh!) the rigging.

More soon with luck, thanks for looking and the likes, they are very much appreciated!

All the best,

Ray

Edited by Ray S
Tidy the post
  • Like 6

Another super update Ray, with some great photos and text all thrown in. The Sails really brings this whole project to life and I have every confidence in your abilities to make the rigging process a piece of cake! 

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all!

There has been some slow progress on this project over the last few days. I was able to get the rest of the sails on, and some rudimentary 'rigging', but I have reached the limit of my abilities now, so I am calling the 'Ice Schooner' finished. At some future stage I may try to do the rigging properly, but as of now I am finding the tremors in my hands too great to successfully complete that part of the build. This is what she looks like at this time:

48788145587_2194ef5717_b.jpg

The rigging for the jib sails was EZ-Line, but the little bits at the top of the masts was speaker-core cable gone over with a black Sharpie. Here she is against the obligatory pen:

48787641508_b8200209ed_b.jpg

And finally an overhead shot to show that things were not too far off symmetrical and true(!):

48787644073_fa7b427d5e_b.jpg

I have had great fun with this fantasy project. I had tried to do the same subject way back in the 1970's but lacked the skills then, and am happy with the way this has come out.

I would like to say a big THANKS! to all who have contributed to the thread, either by commenting, liking, and reading, it has been greatly appreciated. I will pop a few more pictures into the Gallery shortly.

All the best everyone,

Ray

Edited by Ray S
Tidy the post
  • Like 5

It looks terrific! A really inventive use of a terribly dated kit.

I bought and built the Mary Rose on a whim and really enjoyed it. So I bought this kit, some 60 years more primitive. It is still scowling at me half-built from the shelf of shame...

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

Well done Ray, that’s honestly turned out brilliantly. There’s just so much to like about this project, most of which was all scratched built and very well thought out. She may only be a small model, however definitely packs a huge punch. Thanks so much for taking part. 

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 1