+++++ Willys Airborne Jeep +++++ FINISHED

My Bedfords are coming along bit by bit and my Frog GB kits are almost done so I will double up in the D-Day GB with this little contribution. 

resized_37cf2fbe-a4c9-4846-a9ec-6233654d

Two sprues of grey plastic and one clear wig a windscreen and lights. 

resized_76bb1ca9-0e0a-45c3-88a7-1f4d7192

Has parts for a British airborne jeep and an American versions that is tooled up with a 50 calibrate machine gun. There are also parts for an airborne trailer and airborne artillery piece, as well as an air portable stand for the jeep. 

resized_9f8c9306-0a95-4201-b96c-ff98443b

I will be doing this version

ffc0d07f-a41d-4429-b49d-eaaa29a23344.JPG

There is also a diminutive transfer sheet. 

ff11f124-6d00-42a1-a5a1-f8a6e7f87446.JPG

Edited by 825
  • Like 2

Some paint onto the parts pre-assembly. Olive drab for the jeep and Citadel Death World Forest which is quite close for British Green. 

resized_de3c3f5f-4eaa-42af-8de4-dfba2ad4

• Like 1

The jeep's chassis and body are straightforwardly assembled. A little fiddly due to the size of the parts. 

resized_f548dab3-c30d-46f0-a948-e195491d

Care was needed as the fit was quite tight and paint needed to be removed to ensure parts line up properly. 

• Like 3

The trailer body went together neatly and quickly. 

resized_09491f74-35d2-4383-acdf-e61b3a8f

The main parts for the gun's trunnions. Seriously fiddly I must admit. 

resized_f6a8d2c9-a1b5-4515-a6ba-2d8784de

if I were being persnickety I should drill out the lightening holes but to be honest life is too short. 

• Like 2

A bit more tidying up on the jeep. 

resized_0a0edfab-caa8-4e2d-9546-d862e399

• Like 2

Chassis and body combined. I've included a scalpel to show the jeep's small size. Seats have also been added and some touching up required. 

resized_c1166bdf-b710-4ef9-9f8c-cf3f78ee

Some touching up done. The build has stalled a little as the windscreen is added along with the bonnnet, so some masking needs to be done. 

resized_5971e0a3-f439-4ba1-b4a3-8a451377

Trunnions for the gun complete, again very fiddly and the fit was very tight so there was a need to scrape off paint and gently sand the joints. 

resized_9186c644-0697-4c23-b7d8-1cd1f0c6

And the gun on, nicely moulded with no seam along the barrel which cuts down on that tricky sanding on a tubular piece. 

resized_47a4453c-3127-4d31-ba61-526e9025

• Like 3

On 8/8/2019 at 8:56 PM, Robert Stuart said:

Looks good @825.  Did I hear right? This kit might want a bit of filler?

No @Robert Stuart , there isn't any filler needed. It's actually the opposite. The fit is so tight that any paint or slight imperfection will stop the parts fitting properly. As I slap paint on everything before glueing up this is a challenge for me. 

Here we are today with some more bits on and touching up done. Need to think about wheels soon. Biggest job is to mask the windscreen. 

resized_cce7aab3-38f8-4994-bce9-6305b001

• Like 3

Nice going with this.

Recently built the Jeep and trailer myself and its a lovely little kit. It's currently sat on the shelf of doom awaiting it's decals and weathering. Built mine with the hood up!

Look forward to seeing more. :thumbsup:

Regards,

Steve

🇬🇧

• Like 1

Pack howitzer and trailer effectively finished. Just the wheels to touch up and give a coat of matt varnish.  And some light weathering to be done. 

resized_8da0c09a-faec-4df0-82df-f27110bb

And the windscreen masked.  It didn't take that long and was straightforward. I don't know why I leave these things off for so long. I am a definite transparency masking procrastinator. 

resized_b643b0a4-52f3-4b8c-809d-3039fa2c

• Like 2

Windscreen painted and added along with the bonnet, or should that be hood. Now to add the wheels. 

resized_c249c2fd-940c-4cce-8555-f4db252c

• Like 2

Moving on, wheels on and the majority of sticky out bits. Effectively just the transfers to go on, a little weathering and some matt varnish to go. The jeep is tiny, as are the trailer and howitzer, so there is a fair amount of magnification and every speck of dust and imperfection shows up. 

resized_8b0e8d24-0ef7-49bd-93e9-4bda37ce

• Like 4

Now some transfers on. The remainder are actually tiny, just look at the size of the star on the rear sides. Luckily they are behaving OK. You have to make up a few pieces from plastic card though. A plate for the reflector on the trailer, a triangular plate in front of the spare wheel (which I have made and glued on upside down , so it'll have to come off and be re-made) and a 2mm disc for the bridge weight plate. I have bo idea what to do about the last one I don't have ast of punches which might do the trick. 

resized_0a393260-1c9a-45a4-9722-77ee681f

some paint touching up needed in a small number of places. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Got nearly all the transfers on, they are minuscule and I lost a couple.  The triangular one for the front of the spare wheel could only be seen when the transfer sheet was blown up. One of the Pegasus transfers just disappeared as I was moving it to the water. I left one off the back of the trailer. 

resized_cf70d431-e592-4661-9f5d-009703d2

Now leave them to dry and a couple of coats of matt varnish, the tools on and we're done. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Lawzer said:

At that scale I doubt I could even see the decals! Nice work! 👍

I had to use my reading glasses.  And a magnifying glass. 

Edited by 825
  • Like 1

Finally finished. Unmasked and all the little bits added. Gun and trailer given a dry brush with a lighter colour. But to be honest not much to be seen. I've resisted a lot of weathering as I suspect much of the kit used a time D Day would have barely left he factory before being loaded onto a ship, or in these vehicles' case, a plane or glider. So they would be pretty clean. 

resized_8e067fad-77bd-4d2a-bd27-a705e8ad

Now to post in the gallery. Along with a number of other completed builds for this and another GB. I think I'm getting a bit over exacting when it comes to the final photographs. I just need to get a move on and do it. 

• Like 5

Finished. The last few transfers were quite challenging but otherwise it went together not too badly. Makes a rather nice little model. 

resized_6cfbaeff-e791-41c7-abba-2e7054f7

• Like 4