1/48 Albatross DIII converted to an early DII

43851707242_1130f6381e_z.jpg

Found in my attic about a year ago, started about thirty years ago and finally seeing the light of day again. As I have a DV in my stash and there are many good DIII kits out there I decided it would either be an Offag DIII or a DI/II, seeing as how there are many good Offag kits too and the wings were terrible I decided to go for the latter.

48463589842_449ab95da2_z.jpg

Wing blanks now ready for skinning, already better than the kit parts :). My younger self had already replaced the tailplane and filled the fuselage a bit. Still have to decide on a DI or a DII, those ear radiators are awfully cute, but the colour schemes on the DII are much more interesting, ho hum.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 8

Oh no...another Marklo project that will finished before my Avro is even painted! 

Do I detect a note of despair there Steve. I've realized I'm a serial starter and indifferent finisher of projects. My WIP is ridiculously large and technically even if I finish this tomorrow (which is highly unlikely) it still will have taked thirty (possibly forty) years to complete :)

BTW if that perterbs you I won't even mention this......

48486032936_a3b4bcdc9c_z.jpg

• Like 3

Looking good so far. One thing you can be certain of, it'll weigh less than my Merlin one that I've been restoring!

I too have a selection of part built Glencoe Albatrosses, bought when they were being sold off cheap at airshows, any 2 for a fiver, probably from about 1992!

I'm trying to think when and where I bought it. It was definitely London, Probably at the model engineering Exhibition, (used to go every year with my Dad in my teens< then went once again probably in the  early nineties with my other half as well, she went to Oxford street we went to Wembley) so indeed it could have been 1992.

An interesting conversion indeed. Never mind about taking a long time - when I restarted modelling again some years ago I found two unfinished Vickers Gunbus (FB 5 and FB 9) conversions in a box - I used the Airfix DH4 as the donor kits. It was only a 30+ years gap between starting and finishing them.

P

Well I did finish my Heller Mig 21 F to Mig 21 PF conversion last year and I'm  pretty sure I started that in my teens which means it took nearly 40 years to complete. As far as I remember that tnd the Albatros are the only things lurking in the attic. But I am planning to pay a visit to my Dad's soon and there may be many more partial builds there 

41420155315_271a03128c_z.jpg

New nose and canopy. The camo really needs to be airbrushed.  Seeing as how I ordered an airbrush at the weekend and I do still have some of the North Vietnamese decals left I may revisit it . Don't normally do jets but this was for a Good morning Vietnam GB and I thought it would be an interesting departure from the endless Huey's and Phantoms that usually go with that territory.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

48989806176_257ef40493_z.jpg

Now that I'm clearing my WIP a bit (Pfalz , Bulldog, Laird, and the Typhoon  are all nearly done) I'm dusting this off and as soon as my wood grain mask arrives will probably finish it.

Drilled and attached the lower wings. Used .8mm Oasis wire CA'd to the fuselage, I 'm not going to glue the wings until I have the fuselage painted.  Still not sure if I'm doing a DI of a DII will probably depend on my final choice of schemes, they only built around 60 DIs so options are more limited. , I have also fabricated the Windhoff radiators so I am gravitating towards a DI/Early DII. (otherwise I need a Teeves & Braun wing mouinted radiator)

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

49033357116_202abeff16_z.jpg

Did a bit of painting, a little premature as there's still lots to do but I'll finish the build then retouch the paintwork when it's done, that said very pleased with the basic look at this point. The brown may be a little dark and I think I missed a section on the starboard lower wing root, so I will probably come back to that.

Had wanted a purple and green scheme but that is probably more DIII, but really loved the three colour scheme once I found it in the web. Makes sense as I have seen photos of Fokker DIIs with obvious three colour camo but had no idea which colours to use.

I have now determined that the colour scheme I’ve chosen is an early DII with the Windhoff (ear type) radiators but the DIII style cabane struts.  Might do a DI at a later date, although as there were only around 60 made the choice of colour schemes is very limited.

Edited by Marklo

• 5 weeks later...

49191390548_acd03ebe3a_z.jpg

Sprayed some darker brown using my RB products woodgrain mask. Thought i t didn't look too great but decided to give it a coat of clear orange anyway and am now quite pleased with the result, it's subtle but it does look wooden. I reckon if I add in some panel lines with my watercolour pencils it will look pretty good.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

49237097632_a13f81952c_z.jpg

Panel lines added with a brown water colour pencil then a coat of satin varnish. The effect is subtle but looks extremely wooden to me. Wings attached, now that I'm happy with the fuselage.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

50061469158_d6f303be8a_c.jpg
The DII is now in traction.   Now sporting a tail fin and skid and the wings are glued on.

Only one slight problem, I’ve set it up with slight diehedral but looking at plans the lower wings are quite flat, so need to adjust it and the jig before the upper wing goes on.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

50108748091_5b79ef3ee7_c.jpg

50108748226_1770240ac9_c.jpg

50108988002_1d6f54bd6e_c.jpg

50108748131_dea1926a92_c.jpg

50108747956_e69b34cf5e_c.jpg
Decking fitted cockpit completed and upper wing fitted, as well as a bit of detail painting and touch up. Next up fill all the spurious holes and blemishes and then on to markings and rigging but not necessarily in that order.

• Like 5

50133299598_e3dce276b9_c.jpg
Started rigging. I’m going to try using 0.25 mm fishing line for this build and see how it goes. Ez line is good but I reckon slightly under scale. Hopefully this will end up as my go to rigging method.

• Like 4