1/48 Tamiya Kawasaki Ki-61-Id Hien (Tony) - mottling procedure specs added

8 hours ago, kiwitrogg said:

..there was a little bit of extending patches and mintor touch-ups to get the densities right.  And trying to keep a somewhat consistant mottle size and separation was a challenge as well.  Worth the effort though I reckon.

Outstanding result and effort put into achieving that green mottling Gaz. That said, and I understand the internal drive to finish that way - I'm find myself internally conflicted about it constantly, it's not necessary as a reflection of realism. Check out the many photos of mottling application on the real thing in those final desperate days, Kobayashi's mounts in particular. 

Inspirational build. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bigglesof266 said:

Outstanding result and effort put into achieving that green mottling Gaz. That said, and I understand the internal drive to finish that way - I'm find myself internally conflicted about it constantly, it's not necessary as a reflection of realism. Check out the many photos of mottling application on the real thing in those final desperate days, Kobayashi's mounts in particular. 

Inspirational build. 

I hear ya.  I felt much the same when I was painting the squiggles on my camoed MiG-17 in North Vietnamese livery, displayed here on BM.   Using my single-action Paasche H, with my skill set, was a real challenge.   I still had more overspray than I liked; but I'm betting that when the real plane was painted, most likely under a tarp or camouflaged cover of some sort, that Vietnamese painter likely had quite a bit of overspray himself.   At least that thought did make me feel better about my own efforts.  😀

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Bigglesof266 said:

Inspirational build. 

36 minutes ago, Gary Brantley said:

I hear ya.  I felt much the same when I was painting the squiggles on my camoed MiG-17 in North Vietnamese livery, displayed here on BM.   Using my single-action Paasche H, with my skill set, was a real challenge.   I still had more overspray than I liked; but I'm betting that when the real plane was painted, most likely under a tarp or camouflaged cover of some sort, that Vietnamese painter likely had quite a bit of overspray himself.   At least that thought did make me feel better about my own efforts.  😀

Morning Chaps

I agree; I put it into the same category of conundrum as the need to perfectly mask invasion stripes that were originally hand painted, and can often be seen in photos as being quite rough at the edges. I've given my self too many  headaches (literally) trying to strive for perfection.  The long and short of it for me now is to make an honest attempt, and make sure it looks good in the cabinet. I can build more, and I get less headaches that way :lol:

Cheers

Gaz 

• Like 1

I agree with you Gaz. I paint mainly for the cabinet.  It is amazing how good a model looks in the cabinet. Somehow all those annoying flaws just disappear and the model finally leaves one smiling. 

• Like 1