1/48 Tamiya Kawasaki Ki-61-Id Hien (Tony) - mottling procedure specs added

Evening All

And here is catch-up number 2......and that's it, for the planes anyway.

Here's an OOB build of Tamiyas Ki-61.  I picked this up from my local for an easy build that would add a little colour to the cabinet. 

And wow, what a kit ! Fit and detail is pretty special, I didn't use any filler at all with this build.

This was my first real attempt at freehand airbrush mottling so I practiced on scrap plastic tubs until I was happy with the paint thickness and air pressure before touching the plane.  I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out.

And here it is.........

If anyone is interested, here's my method for the mottling.

Airbrush / paint specs used for the mottling.

Airbrush - H & S Infinity

Needle Size - 0.2

Needle Cap - removed

Paint - well thinned Tamiya Acrylic XF-13, thinner than for normal airbrushing.

Air pressure - 10psi

Method - practice on primed scrap plastic card (ice cream tub).  Adjust the paint thinning / air pressure balance, and set the needle position stop so that thin lines can be sprayed up close without the paint spitting or blowing out into little spiders. Practice spraying small circles/dots. Practice mottling by moving the airbrush in very small circles/spirals and build up the colour density gradually....keep the airbrush moving at all costs.  Take a deep breath and have a go at painting the model.

HTH

Gaz

spacer.png

I need to sort out the ariel wire again by the look of it

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

In the cabinet -  next please

spacer.png

Thanks for looking

Cheers

Gaz

Edited by kiwitrogg
Added the mottling procedure that I used
  • Like 38
  • Thanks 2

Wow - great model! Good job with the mottling. Major Kobayashi would be proud of how often his Hien has become a subject for modellers.

The ailerons (fabric covered) would have been doped grey-green, but this very minor point doesn't impair the beauty of your model.

Cheers, Michael

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Toryu said:

Wow - great model! Good job with the mottling. Major Kobayashi would be proud of how often his Hien has become a subject for modellers.

The ailerons (fabric covered) would have been doped grey-green, but this very minor point doesn't impair the beauty of your model.

Cheers, Michael

Hi Michael, thanks, I'm glad you like it.  You've got me thinking if I can respray the ailerons now.  Hmmm :hmmm:

Cheers

Gaz  :)

• Like 1

Yes,You have done an excellent job with the mottles which would probably terrifies the rest of us.The Hien is a beautiful design, clean and uncluttered,same as the Macchi C.202 and C.205 which used the same Daimler Benz DB 601 engine.

Edited by Kampartiger
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, 28ZComeback said:

Gaz how did you achieve the outstanding bare metal finish? 

Hi there

That was Tamiyas AS-12 straight from the can. So quick and easy it felt like I was cheating :)

Cheers

Gaz

4 minutes ago, Kampartiger said:

Yes,You have done an excellent job with the mottles which would probably terrifies the rest of us.The Hien is a beautiful design, clean and uncluttered,same as the Macchi C.202 and C.205 which used the same Daimler Benz DB 601 engine.

Hi there

Yeah thanks for that.  Like I said I practiced quite a lot before starting on the model.  Even as I progressed the model I gained more confidence and was able to go back and fill in smaller mottles between the bigger ones. I agree with you about the Macchis and will definately do a C.202 one day.  The only Macchi I have at the moment is a 339 which isn't quite as elegant :rolleyes:

Cheers

Gaz

4 hours ago, kiwitrogg said:

I need to sort out the ariel wire again by the look of it

That's a beautiful plane Gaz!  Your model will cost me money because that kit is going on the shopping list.   Your paintwork is simply superb; and if I could ever get an aerial wire to look as good, I'd be a happy modeler.  Very cool indeed!  😎:worthy:

• Thanks 1

Excellent build. The mottled patches are very well done.  I know it isn't an easy thing to do having done mottling on a Zero. Controlling the overspray can be difficult and you seem to have done it very well. Also keeping a consistent density like you have here is the other difficult thing to do.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Gary Brantley said:

That's a beautiful plane Gaz!  Your model will cost me money because that kit is going on the shopping list.   Your paintwork is simply superb; and if I could ever get an aerial wire to look as good, I'd be a happy modeler.  Very cool indeed!  😎:worthy:

Hi Gary, thanks.  It's a great kit that's quite easy to build, I doubt you'll regret buying one.  And the aerial line.......it's eezy-line......easy !  :)

16 hours ago, Greg Law said:

Excellent build. The mottled patches are very well done.  I know it isn't an easy thing to do having done mottling on a Zero. Controlling the overspray can be difficult and you seem to have done it very well. Also keeping a consistent density like you have here is the other difficult thing to do.

Hi Greg, thanks for your comments.  Yeah, there was a little bit of extending patches and mintor touch-ups to get the densities right.  And trying to keep a somewhat consistant mottle size and separation was a challenge as well.  Worth the effort though I reckon.

13 hours ago, chris148 said:

Very nice build and colourful scheme,looks like your display is soon going to need an extension

Hi Chris........Ummm, that is the extension :rolleyes: :winkgrin:

3 hours ago, Cellarfrog said:

very nice build and a great choice of plane. Indeed it adds colour to the cabient.

Looking at your cabinet: if this model is 1/48, that is quite a large cabinet you have! Envy...

Hi Cellarfrog........yup, all 1/48.  You run out of room quite quickly at this scale :winkgrin:

Thanks everyone.

Cheers

Gaz