New compressor -advice please

aerodes

Hi. My old compressor has just about given up (leaking air like a punctured tyre). Been scanning the forums and web page for a new one. Arghhh I'm more confused, the more info I read. Can anyone help point me in a right direction, through the jungle of info and reviews. I have a budget of up to £150 - £200 max. I don't do a large amount of painting. The quieter the compressor the better. I have two airbrushes (an Iwata Neo and a Harder & Steinbeck). Do I need a compressor with or without a holding tank given the amount of painting I do?

Currently looking at Sparmax??????

Rgds

Hi,    A tank is a nice to have, but not critical, especially for an occasional user.  All you need is a constant air pressure at the pressure level you use.

We only sell two compressors ( the one's I would used myself ).  Both are sparmax, one has a tank the other doesn't.

The little-jet is  a simple 1/8th hp single piston compressor with an attached moisture trap/regulator.  Weight is 3.5kg, it runs all the time you are painting and is very quiet. I have people using them in flats  & in domestic situations with the other half in the next room.  It will chuck out up to 30 psi quite happily & is currently £135 with a 2 year warranty.

little-jet compressor

The little tank compressor is uses an uprated 1/6th hp motor that feeds a 2.5litre tank up to 60 psi, then the motor stops until the tank pressure drops below 40 psi.  It has a detachable moisture trap/regulator on the front  and is £210, also with a two year warranty.   

Little-tank compressor

Hi.Thanks for the info. I've already looked at both your compressor. I particularity like the motor cut-off feature the little-tank compressor. Price was just above the budget limit I'd set.

Will look at your shop site for info on p&p and delivery dates - probably PM you.

Rgds

A compressor will last you a very long time if you use it properly. Your modelling habits might change and you might need one with a tank so I'd get that one from the start. Yes, it's a bit more expensive, but it means less wear on the engine. Just remember to drain the tank periodically so there less chances of a failure.

4 hours ago, aerodes said:

Hi.Thanks for the info. I've already looked at both your compressor. I particularity like the motor cut-off feature the little-tank compressor. Price was just above the budget limit I'd set.

Will look at your shop site for info on p&p and delivery dates - probably PM you.

Rgds

Compressors are delivered by courier, next day delivery charge is £10.

Thanks,

Paul

I have a Sparmax, a 620 I believe.  Before that I had one of the generic chinese ones you see frequently on eBay - that had a tank, regulator and moisture trap and to be honest it was fine and did the job.

But I bought the Sparmax when I treated myself to decent airbrushes and it is a leap up in quality and engineering.  Whether it makes much difference in real terms I cannot say, it just feels and sounds much smoother.

Like driving a well engineered car compared with an old banger.  Both do the job in getting you from A to B but one just feels so much nicer than the other.

Don’t regret my purchase.  By the way, Iwata don’t make compressors - the ones that they sell badged with Iwata labels, are made by Sparmax.

Cheers,

Nigel

Edited by nheather

I bought a Iwata Ninja for a steal last month but I'm already going to get rid of it and pick one of these up. Not sure which one yet. Anyway these are all the same compressors you see made by other brands but without the proprietary parts by a specific manufacturer. There are quite a few video reviews on YouTube.

https://spraygunner.com/compressors/

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 8/6/2019 at 8:12 AM, aerodes said:

Hi. My old compressor has just about given up (leaking air like a punctured tyre). Been scanning the forums and web page for a new one. Arghhh I'm more confused, the more info I read. Can anyone help point me in a right direction, through the jungle of info and reviews. I have a budget of up to £150 - £200 max. I don't do a large amount of painting. The quieter the compressor the better. I have two airbrushes (an Iwata Neo and a Harder & Steinbeck). Do I need a compressor with or without a holding tank given the amount of painting I do?

Currently looking at Sparmax??????

Rgds

why not go with one of these. They are popular and while they wont last for ever none of them will.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=as186&adgrpid=59040139131&gclid=Cj0KCQiA5dPuBRCrARIsAJL7oejm_sH9TtaO3icx-c4ijifIYUaNoZC5rW5T7K5Vhw36epVIeTdpyRwaAh78EALw_wcB&hvadid=259016558382&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=1007040&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=10342915773972984555&hvtargid=kwd-300178384730&hydadcr=174_1736117&tag=googhydr-21&ref=pd_sl_262afqahcn_e

Edited by ElectroSoldier

• 1 month later...