"...from the Delta to the DMZ" - Part 1

06/24

I wasn’t sure where to put this, since it’s a thread with both military vehicles and a boat! (And if Kittyhawk ever release their UH-1 in in 1/35 it might end up with a chopper too!)

48466219706_9614f67cc8_c.jpg1 by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

The Vietnam war was still underway when I was born, and growing up our local library was a source of endless fascination – I don’t remember all the titles but among them there was Air America; another book about a Brit serving in the US army, and many others. The poignancy of many of them was probably lost on me as a kid, bit as I grew older I read other works, Dispatches, Chickenhawk and others, which gave me a different take on what was, then, recent history.

Looking back now, I have to wonder if the war was unwinnable, and if the US, and its allies, ever really had a strategic vison, or were they just (as I suspect many saw it) “holding the line”.

None of which takes away from the very real suffering of the Vietnamese people and the troops (mainly US, but other allied nations as well) who fought over that land for so many years. If Korea was a continuation of WW2; Vietnam was, by contrast, the first truly modern war. (I’m no historian, so all of this is my personal impression only.)

Anyway, enough preamble. I haven’t done any plastic bashing for months, so before I make a start on the main event, I thought it would be a good idea to “get my eye in” on something less expensive or challenging. The Tamiya M151A1 seemed a good place to start – I built this (in the A2 version) when it was first released in the early 1980s (the main sprue mould date is 1982, when I was 12).

48466373172_2590aabf3c_c.jpg1 by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

48466373282_201f0c9d1c_c.jpg1 by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

I’ve ordered the Legend Productions set (mainly, daft though it sounds, for the pedals, but I felt they were likely to be better than anything I could scratchbuild, but meantime I’ve made a start on the tub. I’m aware that the front suspension is oversimplified so will probably try and do something about that as well.

48466219631_e8fa474fdb_c.jpg1 by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

@Procopius will be pleased to learn that I have already made (and hopefully repaired) the obligatory thumb glue print. He's less likely to approve of the lack of wings, but at least its modelling!

• Like 3

@06/24 the M151 does have wings, each side of the engine at least.  Though @Procopiusmay call them "fenders" unless he has fully anglicised himself, whereupon he would know that those are the squishy bumpers on boats!

Edited by malpaso
  • Haha 1

An idle moment over lunch saw a Revell UH-1C falling into my Amazon basket. I think I'll split this into three threads, a Vietnam trilogy over the three genres, so going forward this thread will deal with the M151 and then the Sheridan.

So, where were we? Suspension bits. Now a disclaimer, none of this is precision, this is bodging. That being understood, here we go:

48474753636_f3391e8146_c.jpgUntitled by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

48474753531_a3fe4c88b5_c.jpgUntitled by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

Upper suspension arms

48474902507_19f9506aae_c.jpgUntitled by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

48474753576_097f95a7be_c.jpgUntitled by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

Steering rods

• Like 4

Progress isn't quick. The age of the kit shows, and I'm stopping to fill ejector pin marks every part, or so it feels.

48482530761_77b588b323_c.jpgUntitled by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

I decided to replace the steering column, not strictly necessary but having scratchbuilt the steering box it seemed a shame not to connect it up. Currently waiting for the filler around the dash to set for clean up.

48482682757_426a414d9b_c.jpgUntitled by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

48482530696_25dc8f8c5a_c.jpgUntitled by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

48482682802_364cc4476f_c.jpgUntitled by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

The bonnet (hood?) and dash/windscreen aren't fixed in place, to leave room to fit the pedals when the Legend set arrives.

• Like 2

Getting clean joints inside the hood (if Americans call the bonnet the hood, what do they call the hood?) has been tricky but hopefully they'll be barely visible once completed.

48490223927_3d06e925c3_c.jpgD1 by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

48490053531_e622c9d254_c.jpgD1 by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

Again, just sub assemblies dry fitted for now, this is, I think, about as far as I can take it before the Legend set arrives. So this will be parked and I'll make a start on the PBR.

• Like 2

Well that didn't end up parked for long. The Legend Productions set turned up today, and it was worth the wait. Although I won't use all the parts, what I have used so far is very nice indeed. The seats are particularly nice. I was surprised (and delighted) to find that the turn signal lever was included, I had expected to have to scratchbuild it (Or ignore it!)

48497807441_0633e7eaff_c.jpgD1 by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

48497807366_9319823b89_c.jpgD1 by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

48497807241_f5fb5bea04_c.jpgD1 by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

48497979542_d7137c280a_c.jpgD1 by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 3

Thanks Nick. It's usually about this point that I mess it up!

This morning I got the cables added to the wiper motors, not entirely convincing but hopefully will look ok once it's all painted:

48502234861_c839d4c47e_c.jpgWiring? by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

The shoogliness is deliberate, based on the photo evidence I've found so far. Maybe a bit overdone, but deliberate.

• Like 2

Nick may have spoken too soon!

The hood sticks have broken on one side. I think it was just clumsiness on my part - I share my work desk with my son's homework, and I think the hood got caught up as I cleared away :( it may be repairable but I suspect not. At least I can model it open topped if necessary.

Ho hum. Meanwhile I have continued to stick fiddly bits on:

48553704832_dd14b43bb2_c.jpgD1 by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

48553558986_84bf2ef884_c.jpgD1 by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 2

Thanks to a helping hand from 06/24 jnr, and the magic of Tamiya quick setting green cap (which was bought by accident but has come in handy!) which he applied while I held the broken parts in situ, I think we may have saved it.

48556592246_0cd5081f87_c.jpgRepair by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

This was in three pieces, with only one still attached to the hood, so I'm happy with that, and am leaving well alone while the glue sets firmly. It's a bit bent, but nothing I couldn't excuse as these must have got bashed in real life, right?

• Like 2

With the exceptions of the wing mirror and headlamp lenses, basic construction is, I think, complete. Tamiya only supply solid green plastic headlamp lenses, so I've robbed some which appear to be about the right size from a defunct deuce and a half kit. The steering wheel will be replaced with a spare from a Bronco jeep kit, which isn't exactly right but is much closer than the A2 version supplied. However I've ordered some crew figures (from Australia!) so the steering wheel can wait until their slow boat arrives. The wing mirror I've just left off for now as I'm sure to break it.

I'm thinking it will be an MP vehicle (the figures will be the Bravo 6 MPs) so want to try and simulate the slightly bulled up appearance of MP vehicles, which were in some cases, to my eyes, almost glossy dark drab in appearance, so I've used satin black as an undercoat and will add a satin finish once the OD is applied. Pictures to follow when it's out of the low bake oven (airing cupboard!)

Tamiya Ts-5 spray over the Humbrol semi-gloss black undercoat:

48559134412_eb992135c9_c.jpgM151A1 by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

48558996421_987cf802ef_c.jpgM151A1 by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

The observant will note that the filler in one of the shovel holes has shrunk back a little, and will need repaired or disguised.

48559134322_7b8b392817_c.jpgM151A1 by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

48558996156_184c488147_c.jpgM151A1 by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

Also, despite jacking the rear suspension up with a 20 thou plastikard shim, it retains a distinct tail down attitude.

• Like 1

I thought I'd finished adding footery bits, but checking references it became obvious the lights needed wires adding, and the mirror arm was oversimplified - so while I haven't gone the whole hog, I added bolt heads from the trusty Meng pack.

48561188076_8251fd957d_c.jpg1/35 M151A1 by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

At the back I've added the fuel can (from the Legend set) and test fitted the spare wheel. I need to work out the correct orientation of the fixing bolts for the spare.

48561327747_6a107a63db_c.jpg1/35 M151A1 by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 2

This morning I’ve sprayed the hood canvas a slightly paler shade of OD to reflect the fabric covering. It’s in the cupboard drying. Wheels are added, headlamp and mirror reflecting surfaces given a dab with an ancient Tamiya paint marker. I don’t know if these are still made but mine, which must be getting on for 20 years old, if not more, still gives the nicest shine.