1968 - Chevrolet Camaro

Right, this summer seems to run with a speed provided by a high-revving small block backed up with a Muncie four speed and a positraction 12-bolt. I haven't touched a model kit for a few weeks as, well you know, the summer in Finland is short... I was astonished to see we are actually so far that even this GB begins! Now do I have a backlog, I sure do... But here's the Round2 model kits revamped AMT Camaro from my birth year, 1968. The kit dates originally even further, as it's based on a 1967 model year version that was just tweaked slightly, as was the actual Camaro too, from its introduction year model.

2019-08-05_10-22-04

You can't help noticing it's a '68, can't you?

2019-08-05_10-23-22

You have the choice of building her "stock" or...

2019-08-05_10-24-33

...with "street machine features". I will build neither, I believe, sort of...

2019-08-05_10-27-29

Here's a peek at the plastic. I fell in love with the first gen Camaros ('67-'69) when I first met one. I was 13, I was vulnerable...

V-P

• Like 12

Hello V-P great choice with the Camaro. Though as a muscle car fanatic you should know the dates were 1967-70. Halfway through the 1970 production run they switched to the series two Camaro. Chevy's production facility wasn't ready with all of the steel stamps and moldings for the new generation on time in August of 1969. As a result the continued the '69 body part way through the 1970 production time frame i think until January or February until they were ready. Thats when they then switched over. So some of those Camaro's are 1970 1/2 models. 

Dennis

• Like 3

Great choice V.P and a warm welcome to this GB. I agree, those late 60’s muscle cars are true brutes and back in Australia we introduced such local classics as the Holden Monaro and Ford Falcon GTHO. It was the start of the great Ford vs. Holden fan war that still lives strong in Australian motorsport today. Cant wait to see this getting built. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

Thanks, all, now car magazines and websites are soaked with Z/28:s, Super and/or Rally Sports and COPO:s... What's the most remarkable thing about these ponycars and their bigger but bruter muscle car kin, is the fact that even the smaller engine displacement and less glamorous models delivered a lot in performance but with a decent price tag, right off the dealers' lot. Like the basic Camaro Sport Coupe with regular production option (RPO) L30/M20 combination. Stay tuned!

15 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello V-P great choice with the Camaro. Though as a muscle car fanatic you should know the dates were 1967-70. Halfway through the 1970 production run they switched to the series two Camaro. Chevy's production facility wasn't ready with all of the steel stamps and moldings for the new generation on time in August of 1969. As a result the continued the '69 body part way through the 1970 production time frame i think until January or February until they were ready. Thats when they then switched over. So some of those Camaro's are 1970 1/2 models. 

Dennis

Dennis, I had to check this out at Camaro Research Group website. The 1969 models were built beginning in August 1968 and ending in November 1969.

@Rabbit Leader now here's a tricky question for you: I was born the last, 31st day of August 1968. Since Camaro production was by that date completely converted to 1969 model, shouldn't it be eligible to build a next model year car because it was actually built the year, month and day I was born? You know, I visited my local hobby shop today and a Revell '69 Camaro kit was winking its eyes for me...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

now here's a tricky question for you: I was born the last, 31st day of August 1968. Since Camaro production was by that date completely converted to 1969 model, shouldn't it be eligible to build a next model year car because it was actually built the year, month and day I was born? You know, I visited my local hobby shop today and a Revell '69 Camaro kit was winking its eyes for me...

Personally id stick with the '68 as you were born in the year. Just because they switched production over doesn't mean the cars were sold right away. Having worked for Pontiac (Big Indian fan here) they do this to build up supply before releasing them to dealers at the end of the year. So even if a '69 model car was made in the fall of '68, it most likely wasn't sold until 1969. However this is your build so go with model you prefer ? Technically they both should work ? 

Dennis

• Like 1

Oh yeah i forgot to add this. My favorite all time Muscle car was the '66 GTO. Though my favorite all time Poncho is a '66 Bonneville with the wedge motor. Sadly only about a dozen were ever made though. I came real close once to owning a convertible '66 Bonnie but couldn't do it for $ reasons. 😔 Maybe someday. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Personally id stick with the '68 as you were born in the year. Just because they switched production over doesn't mean the cars were sold right away. Having worked for Pontiac (Big Indian fan here) they do this to build up supply before releasing them to dealers at the end of the year. So even if a '69 model car was made in the fall of '68, it most likely wasn't sold until 1969. However this is your build so go with model you prefer ? Technically they both should work ? 

Dennis

True, I got too excited. Let's see first how the correct vintage -1968- turns out. No ruling by Dave needed 🙂

14 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Oh yeah i forgot to add this. My favorite all time Muscle car was the '66 GTO. Though my favorite all time Poncho is a '66 Bonneville with the wedge motor. Sadly only about a dozen were ever made though. I came real close once to owning a convertible '66 Bonnie but couldn't do it for $ reasons. 😔 Maybe someday. 

Dennis

Somehow I dislike those cars with two headlights above each other. Otherwise the '66-'67 Pontiac bodies are glorious examples of the GM Coca Cola- bottle styling of the era. I still prefer the original muscle car that started the whole boom; 1964 GTO. V-P

• Like 3

7 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

No ruling by Dave needed 🙂

All good, not my subject matter of expertise so happy to take your word for it. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been a terribly lazy, or better yet non-active at all, modeller this summer. Still the Camaro has taken some steps towards the finish line, which I've set for my soon-to-be birthday.

2019-08-06_07-16-10

The true treasure of this kit are these two sets of period correct, pad printed Good Year Polyglas GT:s, they are delicious!

2019-08-06_07-17-22

Nice stickers, though I won't be using the Z/28 stripes at all - this is not going to be one, you see!

2019-08-06_07-18-36

Chrome too, though I won't be using more than the grille, rear lights, bumpers and the shifter. That's the gear lever in English, I believe...

2019-08-06_07-21-16

A lot of parts for the spares box here too!

2019-08-06_07-22-27

What I just said!

2019-08-06_07-23-43

Finally a sprue with very little unused parts.

2019-08-06_07-36-49

These will all be used, really!

2019-08-20_06-52-36

First, I painted A LOT of black!

2019-08-20_07-45-22

Assembled some smallblock Bowtie Brigade power - that Saginaw 4-speed just needs a new colour.

2019-08-20_07-32-10

Now all you trackheads, can you name the colour - in German, please, hint hint :coolio:

That's all for now, see you later! V-P

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Sand Gelb? It's not a Panzer Camaro is it?

BTW, I do like a goat with stacked headlights. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNG0Ay6faN0

Pete

Haha yes, I've seen pics of a '67 Royal Bobcat GTO drag car, red front fenderwell liners and all, and I can't deny it looks very, very beautiful!

Sand gelb, no... try something darker :bounce:

Good to hear from you V.P. This is scrubbing up well, really nice tyres but the colour seems a little dour for such a classic muscle car. A bold red or bright green would be my pick. I’m sure it will look a treat in the end. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

Yep, Tamiya spray TS-3 dark yellow. To Dave I want to point out this will be a potent but not a glamorous performer; no fancy stripes or flashy paint job, a performance but not a hi-performance powertrain. You know, there appears to have been a large number of these budget screamers in the hands of young Americans, a lot more than those "magazine cars"! If you want to learn more, please read this!

http://www.camaros.org/l30m20.shtml

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the link VP, I’ll read it when I get the chance later today. In hindsight I probably shouldn’t as I’m turning 50 next year and pretty much well overdue for a new car. Our local General Motors affiliate (Holden) will be bringing out Camaros to Australia next year, so reading something like this will only sway me to raid the piggy bank (read mortgage offset) and pester Mrs RL into getting me one! Now the chances of this are pretty slim, however you never know your luck. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Colin W said:

Do you still  have Holden Monaros down there? They were Great cars.

Colin 

They did a Monaro retro release in about 2008, however you rarely see any on the roads these days. The original HK from 1968 is still my favourite and I recall my uncle having a bright orange one with black stripes from bonnet to boot... how cool. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

No, we don't. Not new, anyway. The newer ones (mid-2000s?) weren't bad (for Holdens), the old ones were like all 70s cars - bloody terrible unless viewed through very dark rose-tinted glasses.

Edit. Dang, BM's still playing silly buggers. This was supposed to have a quote above it, in answer to @Colin W

• Like 1

Nostalgia always looks better through rose tinted glasses. 

It was the 2002 Monaro I remember. I was thinking of buying one when my wife announced that she was pregnant. 2 door sports cars and babies don't mix so still saving up.

Colin 

• Like 1