Spitfire Mk 24 belly window

ragnarec

Hi,

I'm currently building the Airfix 1/48 Spitfire 22/24, and the instructions tells me to install a clear part under the rear fuselage for the Mk 24 variant. Does anyone know the purpose of this "window" - is it a camera port? I've had trouble finding reference photos showing this feature.

spacer.png

Regards

Ragnar

Hmm.  I dug out an example of the kit, and it has the more familiar three in a row under the wing (aft of, but the plastic part that is wing underside and a bit of belly).  Then it also has this "Spit 24 only" part, and the markings drawings do show it only on the 24 scheme (still with the three in a row as well).  As you observe, it is a bit larger than the three lights.  I'll have to do a bit of digging, which I should be able to do today.

It's the downwards facing camera port for the Seafire FR 47,  but it should only appear on the Seafire , not the Spitfire F24.  Presumably Airfix have confused the item in the instructions, since certain parts are common between four versions in the two Airfix kits, the F22 and F24 should only have the downward identification lights under the belly, ie. the three small red/amber/green in a row.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1