1961 - SleeperService arrives and Project Mercury gets ready to leave

Hi Peeps

While I frantically try to find time to get some mogel-making done I've ordered the Revell 1/48 Mercury/Gemini kit and New Ware Kit NW088

spacer.png

spacer.png

It's sobering to note that this test of the abort system was April 28 1961 and Shepard's sub-orbital flight was May 5 1961. Good job the test went well then 😮

• Like 4

Another space inspired build Nick, well done. The 60’s was all about the Space Race so it’s fitting to have as many of these builds here as part of this GB. 

Cheers and warm welcome... Dave 

• Thanks 1

That brings back memories. I built the Mercury and Gemini kits donkeys years ago , but had forgotten they were Revell. They were joined later by a large scale Vostok, top end of a Saturn V/ Apollo with LEM, together with the 1/144 Airfix Saturn 1B, Saturn V and the combi of Russian Vostok, Voshkod and Soyuz (I think). My first "rocket" was a kit my parents bought as a present labelled "Werner Von Braun's Moon Rocket" or words to that effect - the landing stage had wings as I recall!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PeterB said:

My first "rocket" was a kit my parents bought as a present labelled "Werner Von Braun's Moon Rocket" or words to that effect - the landing stage had wings as I recall!

Apparently there was a TV programme in the 60s that featured Von Braun and various space concepts. That may have been a model from that series?

The Revell kit has arrived and doesn't look too bad apart from being tiny!! I think the Mercury Seven could have been selected because they could fit into a capsule designed for a chimpanzee!!! 😮

• Like 1

Yes, I seem to remember the Mercury capsule kit being no more than 2" long if you did not count the escape rocket frame - after all they did call it the "Can with a Man in it" or was it perhaps "Man in a Can"? The Gemini was only a bit longer but rather wider, and had no escape rocket on top, but some sort of "adapter ring" underneath I think as in the box artwork. Saw an Apollo capsule in the Science Museum in London back in around 1977 and it was surprisingly small. I have a pic of my future wife standing by it and it was not much taller than her. They certainly "shoehorned" the crew in. As I recall Gus Grissom was quite short, but the other astronauts were a bit taller.

The Von Braun rocket had a big fat 1st stage which tapered into a somewhat smaller 2nd with a tiny 3rd and the lander on top so shades of Saturn V/Apollo. I think you may be right about the TV programme though I don't remember seeing it. I suspect the concept would have been somewhat earlier though - perhaps he wrote a book.

The only problem I recall having with the build was the escape tower but plastic cement in those days was a bit iffy. I shall watch with interest.

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments Peter. Yes, the Apollo capsule gave me the jitters thinking of three people in there, I don't do small spaces very well. The escape system on the Mercury will need significant TLC made easier by your observation ;)

In other news the resin conversion has been replaced by a set of David Weeks drawings from Real Space Models and an understanding of how the Little Joe was assembled. Two crosses with four small and four larger tubes with nozzles on, wrapped in a sheet of aluminium. That seems rather OK so I've ordered some tube and a suitable drinks can. As a bonus the drawings include the launch assembly....  they also include the Redstone and Atlas launchers but that would be silly.

• Like 2

After a slow start I've just collected the tubing and a new tube cutter from the Post Office. Later I'll be getting the plans copied so I can write on them, spill coffee, and not worry about Sushi the SleeperCat chewing them. Then Little Joe is Go!!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Oh well, there’s still plenty of time (I think?) so hang in there and post whenever you can. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Thanks for that. As they were received in an undamaged box I stupidly assumed they'd be OK so didn't check them. I was silly. As soon as I get the Frog Squad Hurricane finished this will be number one on the runway. So many GBs so little time....

• Thanks 1