Flying Phantom 2

Afternoon everyone

As a kid I grew up on the Clydeside (Old Kilpatrick) during the 1970's and one of our favourite pastimes was watching the mighty tugboats sail past. My dream then was to be a tug boat captain but ended up becoming a draughtsman as sometimes happens in life. Still love to watch them when I can, though its a bit hard when living in Warwickshire!

The Flying Phantom was built by Ferguson Bros, Port Glasgow and launched in 1981. She assisted ships with navigation and was also equipped as a fire fighter.

t0BGxfx.jpg

Tragically on 19 December 2007 she was dragged over and sank while assisting a cargo ship past Clydebank in deep fog with the loss of Stephen Humphreys (captain), Robert Cameron (engineer) and Eric Blackley (deckhand) with only Brian Aitchison surviving.

https://www.gov.uk/maib-reports/girting-and-capsize-of-tug-flying-phantom-while-towing-bulk-carrier-red-jasmine-on-river-clyde-scotland-resulting-in-1-person-injured-and-loss-of-3-lives

BLgQr28.jpg

In tribute I have modelled the Revell 1/144 Fairplay X as the Flying Phantom 2 in the Clydeside colours of the 70/80's. I have added, chains, ropes, winch hydraulics, dinghy cover and my own decals as extra detail.

Hope you like them ATB, Dave

BlaMfhY.jpg

T2f1yiq.jpg

xSfvXXn.jpg

Yf8v8EQ.jpg

• Like 9

Thanks Guys.

beefy - I'll keep an watch on your progress, good luck the bridge is a bit of a pain with that transparent plastic.

steve - sadly no, after the investigation had finished with her, she was towed away in the dead of night and scrapped.

WGPKYer.jpg

ATB, Dave