Panavia Tornado GR.1 - part identification

speedy

I’ve noticed doing research of a small panel on the port side beside the canopy hinge, that seems to be open on the ground.

what is it?

Steve.

Edited by speedy
GR1 added for clarity

On the Tornado F.3 there is a cockpit air conditioning vent on the panel above the trailing edge of the canopy rail on the port side , round in early service but square and louvered on Gulf War and late service aircraft with upgraded Environmental Control Systems.

Oops , I thought that you meant something on the spine but I see what you mean now.

Never noticed it before but a quick look through some of my own photos and it seems to be peculiar to the GR.4 as I cannot see it on the GR.1 or F.3 and wonder if it is connected with the GR.4 ECS either as an air intake for cockpit ventilation when ground running or as a pressure relief valve to ensure that the cockpit is depressurised before the canopy is opened.     

The GR.4 has another small ground opening air intake hatch low on the same side just above the back end of the FLIR fairing , was down at Leuchars one day with a working radio for a change when one of the first GR.4 to visit from RAFG was about to depart when the Caravan Controller noticed that one , crew didn't know what it was for so ATC had to phone the engineers at Bruggen to check that it should be open before they could be cleared to take-off.

• Thanks 1

Its for the onboard cooling system, ECS, for the crew and all the electronics on board. Theres a fan under it which turns on when power is applied to the jet. Theres 2 more of the doors, the one above the flir as mentioned above and then a smaller one on the right hand side under the refuel probe, usually in the middle of a roundel

17 hours ago, Motley said:

Its for the onboard cooling system, ECS, for the crew and all the electronics on board. Theres a fan under it which turns on when power is applied to the jet. Theres 2 more of the doors, the one above the flir as mentioned above and then a smaller one on the right hand side under the refuel probe, usually in the middle of a roundel

For the GR.1 or just GR.4?

Steve.

It was on the GR1 too. you had to stitch the ECS on if you had the battery switched on also. if you didn't  it was time just right so once you were down the ladder an alarm would sound to tell you the ECS wasn't switched on.

Edited by tweeky