Whitley Mk III - Fly 1/72

CedB

On 9/3/2019 at 8:49 AM, perdu said:

Hmm, it does to me too

Is there a recess or spigot on the back which would lend credence to that theory?

Oh well stop pondering and make it so, chop chop

I've had a look at the photos and profiles of Tiger engined Whitleys in my Warpaint book. It looks like the rear of the propeller boss is almost in line with the front of the cowling, the gearing box cover doesn't protrude beyond the cowling but the whole ingine is recessed. If you want some pictures PM me and I'll take some and forward them to you. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, 825 said:

I've had a look at the photos and profiles of Tiger engined Whitleys in my Warpaint book. It looks like the rear of the propeller boss is almost in line with the front of the cowling, the gearing box cover doesn't protrude beyond the cowling but the whole ingine is recessed. If you want some pictures PM me and I'll take some and forward them to you. 

Ced take note mate

👍

• Like 1

On 03/09/2019 at 08:49, perdu said:

Hmm, it does to me too

Is there a recess or spigot on the back which would lend credence to that theory?

Oh well stop pondering and make it so, chop chop

[excess new lines removed!)

Minimal time for Ced to get annoyed and let's have him get on with it, I have spent enough time here amongst the green and brown....

On 03/09/2019 at 08:58, giemme said:

Agreed.

Ciao

On 03/09/2019 at 09:09, keefr22 said:

Instructions? Where are there any instructions?! Typical limited run 'guess where to put the bits' suggestions I'd say!

But I agree with Bill & Giorgio - just get on with it! That's a stonking Whitley and we need to see it finished!

Keith

Thanks Bill, Giorgio and Keith - photos below :) 

On 03/09/2019 at 10:17, bbudde said:

Hello Ced. Yep I guess so too. But check it better twice,  that they not sit too deep on the nacelles then. Then the props would scrub at the front engine cowling. From what I remember on mostly every mainstream injection kit is that the engines sit or are fixed more or less at the back of the cowlings with a slot and stab principle for the right depth.

Cheers

Thanks Ben - I wish Fly knew about that! :) 

18 hours ago, dogsbody said:

I'd be having something far stronger than tea, if it was me.

Chris

16 hours ago, bbudde said:

Hello, would it force a better result then? :unsure:

Cheers Benedikt

Thanks Chris :) I have had wine (last night) and yes Ben, it did produce A result; whether it's better or not we shall see!

15 hours ago, occa said:

I saw that already that the engines stick out by far too much when you had glued them into the cowlings, should have warned you but I thought someone else would see it also and ring the alarm bell.

Good that you're about to fix it before it's too late !!

Thanks occa and no worries - I'm the same as you when it comes to posting warnings :) 

12 hours ago, hendie said:

Here you go Ced, this should come in handy

1125791994.g_400-w_g.jpg

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Want one. Want one NOW!!

K

Thanks hendie :D Like Keith I want one but they're £50 over here (!!) so I'll stick to the swat.

Do you have one by the way? If so, what happens to the fly? Do you have to clean up lots of salt and, gag, fly bits? :sick:

12 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Heck no! At least not for me. Even on my best days, I'll never be close to the modeler that Ced is. There just ain't that much rum in the world!

Chris

Thanks Chris - kind of you, and thanks for the PM with the photos; helpful :) 

1 hour ago, 825 said:

Thanks 825, kind offer :) I have pictures but was, foolishly, trying to work out how the kit designer 'planned' them. Done now (see below)

1 hour ago, perdu said:

Ced take note mate

👍

Noted! :D 

Yesterday was quiet as our coffee machine has packed up, again.

You may know that I got a taste for 'proper coffee' whilst working in Italy and bought a bean-to-cup machine about fifteen years ago having tried all the cheaper options. That one gave ten years faithful service until the parts for servicing became unobtainable. Cheap trick eh? Three years ago we bought another and that went back for repair in October due to scaling; we live in a hard water area and we're HARD - hear me, hard! Despite what you may have heard about genteel Bath. Of course it's packed up again. 

Our agent charges about £130 for servicing, plus parts. A new machine of the same type is abut £550. 

Now I have the 'modern consumer' problem; do I buy another 'mid-range' machine that will last three years, a top-end machine that will last ten years, or a decent cheap one for £300 and just chuck it away when it clogs up? Tricky.

Yes, we do de-scale the machine when it tells us to and I think it's well looked after, but you can't get inside… or can you?

Right, I thought, this is a blockage. I have tools. I could probably fix it.

I downloaded the service guide and read it through - detailed instructions.

Tools out, take it apart:

48676112883_a92252c266_z.jpg

Crikey, this looks complicated:

48676625847_1a86197462_z.jpg

Can I find a blockage? No. Rats. Better put it back together again:

48676454886_d82a40756e_z.jpg

Where's that screw? Oh dear… :weep: 

Begging email sent to the service people to see what they think and if they're prepared to take it on or whether I should just buy a new one.

Yes, I did tell them I'd taken it apart.

Honesty is the best policy they say… they also say 'leave it to the experts'.

Another lesson learned 🙄

Better stick to modelling - Whitley progress follows…

• Like 5
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

So, let's recap.

Remember these:

48557471176_171e59b02f_z.jpg

See how the engines are (as usual) on a block but have a ring behind the cylinders? Remember this:

48670023921_9659e9ddf9_z.jpg

Looks like you cut behind the ring? Ouch (fnaar!)

A dry fit showed that would leave the engines deep inside the cowlings so I'd cut them just above the block like this:

48676309191_1ffb667d41_z.jpg

If I Tak them to the nacelle the sticky out bits go over the plastic:

48676312456_7ec200417e_z.jpg

If I'd cut off the sticky out bits they would push too far into the nacelle. Like that the cowling dry fits like this:

48675972448_2bf14d9e00_z.jpg

48675975523_41854d6344_z.jpg

Close? Better sand a bit off the back and trim the excess plastic off the nacelles:

48676332281_88f2dae8ec_z.jpg

48675992208_ebb35c054c_z.jpg

With that we get this amount of sticking out:

48676001878_0e5f68d62b_z.jpg

I think that's about right so I'll use some CA gel to give me a bit of wiggle time. Not this stuff:

48676519612_cc796bcddc_z.jpg

I bought that tube some time ago and it's been a pain. Cleaning the nozzle doesn't work and it sticks on, snaps when roughly opened and now the nozzle won't come off - in the bin! Here we go then. CA gel on the nacelle, position the engine, cowling on and wiggle and then breathe down the cowling to set the CA (thanks perdu for that great tip - moisture in your breath sets CA):

48676365851_d8540f2cbd_z.jpg

48676561792_1bdd68e3d6_z.jpg

48676562607_149b9d439d_z.jpg

They'll have to do, close enough.

• Like 15

Good recovery Ced. You didn't say but CA is the devil's spawn. The only thing I successfully manage to glue first time with it are my fingers. 

• Haha 4

14 minutes ago, 825 said:

Good recovery Ced. You didn't say but CA is the devil's spawn. The only thing I successfully manage to glue first time with it are my fingers. 

:D It does take careful handling…

9 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

Looks like you had a ‘ Eureka ‘ moment. Well done.

John

Thanks John :) 

Props and turrets on:

48676654676_756f2de01a_z.jpg

48676825862_bb08d0877c_z.jpg

Not perfect but as good as I can be bothered to get…

Landing lights, aerial wire and lower turret left to do.

Nearly there.

• Like 16

Great save, Ced; she's looking great! :clap: :clap: 

On a different subject: you worked in Italy? May I ask you where? BTW, now I know where to drink propre coffee in England (Espresso for you readers :wink:  ) - when they fix your coffee machine, that is :D 

Ciao

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Great save.

Stick to tea.

HTH. C

Thanks Crisp :D  Tea is being brewed, of course, but I miss the caffeine shot :hypnotised:

1 hour ago, Spookytooth said:

Well Ced, looks like you have done a great job on her sir.

Those little problems surmounted with absolute ease.

Simon.

Thanks Simon :) 

1 hour ago, giemme said:

Great save, Ced; she's looking great! :clap: :clap: 

On a different subject: you worked in Italy? May I ask you where? BTW, now I know where to drink propre coffee in England (Espresso for you readers :wink:  ) - when they fix your coffee machine, that is :D 

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio :) I worked on contract for ICL at the business park in Milanofiori, staying in the Jolly Hotel (where my allowances didn't allow me to eat!) Great memories…

The coffee machine is being collected tomorrow. Fingers crossed it's not too dear!

In the RFI now, at last.

Thanks as always for all your support, help and companionship during this build - always appreciated :)

Now, back to that Thunderbolt…

• Like 7

Swoosh and done. 🏋️♂️🏄‍♂️🚴‍♂️🧗‍♂️🧘‍♂️🤾‍♂️

Bravo Mr B she looks great!!! Brilliant save on the decals too. I think maybe where you’re (let’s not say going wrong) doing it differently from me say. Is I only use micro set if the decal looks old and has no sticky but I always use micro sol after the position is correct. I roll (lightly) with a bud then leave over night. If it looks a bit bobbins in places I give it another sol. It always wrinkles but always settles. 😇

sorry I don’t want to do d like I’m telling you owt as I know you’re ace at this. Great save on the engines as well. Wonderful finish. I’m headed for the RFI but I’ll get there on the way to the cave. 🙌

any ideas on what’s next or will you wait until the silver wonder is complete? 

Johnny.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Great save on those engines Ced, and a lovely looking Whitley for the ceiling. 

Result!

Ian

Sorry about the coffee machine!

Thanks Ian :) The coffee machine is on its way to the Gaggia hospital - all will be well (except my wallet!)

4 hours ago, giemme said:

That's less than an hour from where I live (without Milan traffic, that is). Small world. :)

Ciao

Wow! If only we'd known each other then :) 

27 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Swoosh and done. 🏋️♂️🏄‍♂️🚴‍♂️🧗‍♂️🧘‍♂️🤾‍♂️

Bravo Mr B she looks great!!! Brilliant save on the decals too. I think maybe where you’re (let’s not say going wrong) doing it differently from me say. Is I only use micro set if the decal looks old and has no sticky but I always use micro sol after the position is correct. I roll (lightly) with a bud then leave over night. If it looks a bit bobbins in places I give it another sol. It always wrinkles but always settles. 😇

sorry I don’t want to do d like I’m telling you owt as I know you’re ace at this. Great save on the engines as well. Wonderful finish. I’m headed for the RFI but I’ll get there on the way to the cave. 🙌

any ideas on what’s next or will you wait until the silver wonder is complete? 

Johnny.

Thanks Johnny :) You always use 'Sol? Kinky! I'll wait until the Thunderbolt is finished and then have a think…

• Like 2

Nice recovery on the engine nacelles Ced. Shame about the coffee machine. We had a shredder jammed last year, so I naturally took it apart ton fix it. It was a devil to get back together again. 6 months my wife claims, but as I explained to her that was elapsed time. I only spent a total of around 10 man hours over the six months, actually getting it back together and working. Strange really as it only took about 5 minutes to dis-assemble ..... ☹️

Terry

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Brilliant Ced

If we don't actually?

Do you mean EVER?

That shot of the coffee grinder/cooker

I'm pretty certain that was the easy bit, one solenoid valve and a pump

Where's the difficult bits, the grinder and the heating element?

Listen when it comes back can you open it up again to satisfy my curiosity/peculiarity/oddness please...

Or maybe not

When it comes back sit back and enjoy.

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, perdu said:

Where's the difficult bits, the grinder and the heating element?

… and the flow meter, safety valve, boiler, boiler spout spring, brew unit… and some weird things called Oetiker clamps - say what?

Operating on the brew side at 15bar - yes BAR! That's more pressure than I had on the Nimrod build…

The main thing is working out where the limescale has blocked something. I'll leave it to the engineers now, and get some stronger descaler.

• Sad 1

Stronger than white wine vinegar, which I have seen suggested but never tried?

We live in a 'two year max' kettle area ourselves

I really should descale but am never sure whether it has to be done separately or during operations

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

Spiffing Looking Whitley.

I’m about to de-scale my coffee machine right now, so wish me luck. I use Lidl’s own brand descaler which seems to work fine. 

john

Thanks John - good luck! I'm using 'specially for coffee machine' descaler, mug that I am, and it's obviously not strong enough :( 

1 hour ago, perdu said:

Stronger than white wine vinegar, which I have seen suggested but never tried?

We live in a 'two year max' kettle area ourselves

I really should descale but am never sure whether it has to be done separately or during operations

Separately Bill, it's a sort of acid I think. Don't want to burn your mouth! :) 

16 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Depends on whether you want your tea to taste of white wine vinegar or not....

:D Not for me thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/4/2019 at 1:05 PM, 825 said:

My daughter would probably not thank me for telling this story, but here goes anyway:

One evening my daughter was alone at home (no, not really a tale of parental neglect) and stubbed a big toe, splitting the nail. Having been clued in about various uses of superglue by me, and knowing about its properties through seeing her sisters' false nails, she decided to filch some CA from my workbench and attempt a repair job. The split nail was glued back together very nicely, but in pressing the parts together she successfully glued her thumbs to the nail too. Daughter then hopped into the bathroom and ran a shallow bath, where she soaked her foot until the skin on her thumbs wrinkled, water got under the CA, and she was slowly able to liberate the digits.

She sheepishly showed me her handiwork when I got home, and I commended her presence of mind to run the bath!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4