Whitley Mk III - Fly 1/72

CedB

I have the Blackbird conversion for the new Airfix kit.

Your build is coming along nicely, wonder how the conversion will fit and also how it will look at the end.

I 'only' have to start it :)

• Like 1

Not quite Ced.

She flew "nose down" because of the angle the wings were mounted on the fuselage,  (angle of incidence) not the angle the engines were mounted on the wings. It was the same with the later versions. The only effect that mounting the engines at an angle would have is changing the thrust line. 

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

IIRC the Whitley's Angle of Incidence was increased on the prototype to assist with the landing, so that the wing stalled at the 'three point attitude'. The Stirling had a similar problem but Shorts chose to lengthen (and complicate) the undercarriage to get the same relationship between the Angle of Incidence and the three point attitude.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CedB said:
5 hours ago, Whofan said:

Is this a tool tart moment? TePe brushes?

You don’t use them for cleaning out any nooks and crannies, do you?

TePe brushes are, according to the packet, 0.4mm so I thought they'd be ideal for the 0.4mm nozzle. As happens, they're not long enough

So what you are saying is size does matter?  :whistle:

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, occa said:

I have the Blackbird conversion for the new Airfix kit.

Your build is coming along nicely, wonder how the conversion will fit and also how it will look at the end.

I 'only' have to start it :)

Thanks occa - good luck! If it helps, General Melchett did a conversion of the Airfix to a Mk III here. Not that I'm up to his standard! HTH :) 

3 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Not quite Ced.

She flew "nose down" because of the angle the wings were mounted on the fuselage,  (angle of incidence) not the angle the engines were mounted on the wings. It was the same with the later versions. The only effect that mounting the engines at an angle would have is changing the thrust line. 

Ian

2 hours ago, Aeronut said:

IIRC the Whitley's Angle of Incidence was increased on the prototype to assist with the landing, so that the wing stalled at the 'three point attitude'. The Stirling had a similar problem but Shorts chose to lengthen (and complicate) the undercarriage to get the same relationship between the Angle of Incidence and the three point attitude.

Thanks Ian and Aeronut - just the sort of detail and background I like :) 

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

Lovely weekend work Ced. Brilliant save on the PE too. Glad Molly isn’t getting any worse. Looking forward to the painty bit. 😇🙌

Johnny. 

Thanks Johnny :) 

19 minutes ago, Whofan said:

Always John, always :) It's the colour that shows the size as you probably know; sadly the 0.4mm are pink…

Another coat on the turrets:

48626120172_39b4e447f8_z.jpg

That'll do.

Tomorrow I'll dip the toothpick in the white spirit and clean up (I hope).

Oh, and prime the thing.

• Like 12

Well done Ced. You've made so much progress since I last looked. 🙂

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, CedB said:
13 hours ago, Whofan said:

Always John, always :) It's the colour that shows the size as you probably know; sadly the 0.4mm are pink…

Trust a manufacturer to get the colour palette wrong!

• Haha 1

Thanks Giorgio, Ben, Joe and John :) 

Primed early this morning:

48628770556_d5d34d9496_z.jpg

and a few hours later sprayed the Bomber Black:

48629087616_5c9f1aa902_z.jpg

I'll let that dry overnight before I start masking up.

• Like 19

Thanks Keith, John, Giorgio, Simon, Ben and Terry :) 

I'm cursing the fact that I didn't take enough breaks on the four hour drive to Leicestershire at the weekend; that, along with the route march to the show and Mrs B kneeling on my legs in the night (don't ask) has put my back out again. What a pain. 

>start moan

Some years ago I was leaning over to write a cheque for an expensive two-switch dimmer when it felt like someone had hit me in the back with a crowbar.

My GP at the time was great.

Dr: "Lower back pain? Quite common. We're not really designed to walk upright you know. What you need to do is lie flat on a hard surface and take a muscle relaxant and something to numb the pain." 

Me: "What do you suggest?"

Dr: "Do you drink?"

Me: "Er, yes."

Dr: "Do that."

Years later and after regular bouts of lying on my back and, er, drinking, an Osteopath found that I had a weak sacroiliac joint and my pelvis had 'popped out'. After some bashing about he got it back in and for the first time for years my lower back touched the ground when I led on my back. Amazing.

He also told me to take a break when driving every 90 minutes or so to just walk about a bit. I wish I always took his advice.

It's not a debilitating problem and is manageable with usual pain killers but it does give me headaches and make me short tempered and grumpy.

I said GRUMPY. Do you wanna make something of it?

Sorry, grumpy as I said.

>end moan

All this means I don't have much Whitley love this morning.

I did check that the cowlings had a gap for the exhausts when the engines were inserted and used as a mount:

48634247503_ce22f89a55_z.jpg

That's a no then.

I'm going to have to pack something somewhere before glueing those on but at the moment I'm just worried that I'll end up being able to see the unpainted plastic 'down the gap' like this:

48634607011_748fe8da3e_z.jpg

Rats.

At the moment they're BluTak'd on but I'll resign myself to some touching up later.

I've masked the main lines down the fuselage and around the nacelles:

48634434528_da4e9191a4_z.jpg

…but during that I knocked off one of the aileron actuators and the carpet monster had it.

And I noticed a seam in the underside.

And that gap around the cowlings.

Lost ALL my patience so decided it was safer to walk away for a while.

Told you. Grumpy. 

(Now I can't find a grumpy emoji. Typical)

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 9

I think most of us can sympathise with you on the back pain because most of us will have been there at some time. SWMBO sorted mine out with reflexology about 30 years ago after it had got to the stage when some days I had to roll out of bed and crawl about for a while before I could stand up.

Hope it gets better soon.

John

• Thanks 1

Roll out? I thought it was pour out. Sorry for all the trials and tribulations Wonky backs and problematic parts that want to go on walkabout do not make for a fun day. I hope it wasn't a Monday. Mondays are a heck of a way to spend 1/7 of your life.

• Haha 3

I used the modeller's creed of "Hack, Slash, and Fuse" to fix my back.    :)

Of course I was dealing with herniated discs, not muscle pain, etc. There is no such thing as a "slipped" disc; it's either bulging (distending - can usually be cured with physio) or it's herniated where the inside part of the disc erupts. Typically, the ejected material pushes against the spinal cord and the fun begins. I know from my experience (9x) that all the physio in the world didn't put the ejected material back inside my disc (your mileage may vary). If you're lucky, the disc hasn't collapsed and you can just trim away the material pushing against the nerves. If you're not lucky, like me, the whole disc comes out, replaced by a piece of live bone cookie-cutted out of your pelvis (sometimes they use bone from a cadaver, but the fusion takes longer), and you get some nice titanium hardware to stabilize everything while the fusion occurs (two vertebrae and the disc replacement eventually grow together as one piece). My entire lumbar spine is fused - and I can still bend over! But it hurts.

All of this fun stuff removes the nerve compression that led to the initial pain, but replaces it with chronic pain due to scar tissue, arthritis, etc. Which is better. I guess.

By the way, I would recommend that you don't watch the videos of back surgeries that are on the net. Just sayin'

Cheers,

Bill (who is putting his Fly Whitley up for auction on eBay after following this build)

PS. Artificial discs are now in play, and they negate the need to fuse. But they weren't around for me.

• Sad 3

6 hours ago, CedB said:

(Now I can't find a grumpy emoji. Typical)

I did find the haha one for your post though - don't think you deserved any more sympathy after all those 'sad' ones you'd been given....!! As John said most of us can empathise (I've done the fall out of bed and crawl around thing on a few occasions - when sober as well!) so hope it stops paining you so much soon.

6 hours ago, CedB said:

Mrs B kneeling on my legs in the night (don't ask)

I think it's best we don't....!! :whistle:

Keithh

• Haha 4

Right, back from 'a good lunch' with a bottle and (ahem) a bit of Merlot… purely medicinal of course…

We had one of those attractive, smiley waitresses...

"Where are you from?" I said.

"Poland" she replied.

"Ah, it's nice to see" said I, "I find Polish people* are much smilier than us English"

"Well" she said, "there aren't many smiley people in Poland"

Put me in my place, nicely. Makes you wonder eh?

* My exposure is limited.

There has been wine, please excuse me (hic) :) 

5 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

I think most of us can sympathise with you on the back pain because most of us will have been there at some time. SWMBO sorted mine out with reflexology about 30 years ago after it had got to the stage when some days I had to roll out of bed and crawl about for a while before I could stand up.

Hope it gets better soon.

John

Reflexology? Is that where you get your feet rubbed by a nubile? Nice… :D 

3 hours ago, roginoz said:

Doesn't everyone get out of bed like that  ?

Surprised of Ravenswood.

:) 

3 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

Roll out? I thought it was pour out. Sorry for all the trials and tribulations Wonky backs and problematic parts that want to go on walkabout do not make for a fun day. I hope it wasn't a Monday. Mondays are a heck of a way to spend 1/7 of your life.

No worries Loren, Tuesday here. But after a Bank Holiday so I'm confused…

33 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

I used the modeller's creed of "Hack, Slash, and Fuse" to fix my back.    :)

Of course I was dealing with herniated discs, not muscle pain, etc. There is no such thing as a "slipped" disc; it's either bulging (distending - can usually be cured with physio) or it's herniated where the inside part of the disc erupts. Typically, the ejected material pushes against the spinal cord and the fun begins. I know from my experience (9x) that all the physio in the world didn't put the ejected material back inside my disc (your mileage may vary). If you're lucky, the disc hasn't collapsed and you can just trim away the material pushing against the nerves. If you're not lucky, like me, the whole disc comes out, replaced by a piece of live bone cookie-cutted out of your pelvis (sometimes they use bone from a cadaver, but the fusion takes longer), and you get some nice titanium hardware to stabilize everything while the fusion occurs (two vertebrae and the disc replacement eventually grow together as one piece). My entire lumbar spine is fused - and I can still bend over! But it hurts.

All of this fun stuff removes the nerve compression that led to the initial pain, but replaces it with chronic pain due to scar tissue, arthritis, etc. Which is better. I guess.

By the way, I would recommend that you don't watch the videos of back surgeries that are on the net. Just sayin'

Cheers,

Bill (who is putting his Fly Whitley up for auction on eBay after following this build)

PS. Artificial discs are now in play, and they negate the need to fuse. But they weren't around for me.

Thanks Bill :) Somehow it always makes things better when you know someone has it worse than you… I will 'man up' (after a lie down).

17 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

I did find the haha one for your post though - don't think you deserved any more sympathy after all those 'sad' ones you'd been given....!! As John said most of us can empathise (I've done the fall out of bed and crawl around thing on a few occasions - when sober as well!) so hope it stops paining you so much soon.

I think it's best we don't....!! :whistle:

Keithh

My tribe! Modellers with pain… keep taking the medicine - Merlot is my favourite :D 

15 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

Ouch Ced, you have my sympathy sir.

I have work in a lot of manual jobs, and have been lucky.

But pain can be such a bummer when trying to concentrate of things.

Simon.

Thanks Simon :) Feeling no pain but having trouble typing. Perhaps I should have left my replies for a while…

But I wanted to share my success! Rescued from the carpet monster, before lunch, with an iPhone torch / magnifier search:

48635476156_5f3319b965_z.jpg

That's photo 199. Could be a record for me?

Off for a lie down now… sad man (but happy) :) 

• Like 13