Whitley Mk III - Fly 1/72

CedB

On 8/8/2019 at 8:19 AM, Max Headroom said:

Ask me how I know

40723423131_7380b28092_b.jpg

Trevor 

I still wince to remember Emilio the Psycho Kitten bagging my RCAF demo Hornet. The kit was replaceable, but it took me some years to procure the decals again.

If only I had looked at him just beforehand. I only need to look in that cat's general direction for him to tip over sideways in the expectation of a good stroking and tummy rub.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, dogsbody said:

For the pet lovers here, my daughter's cat, Spinelli, showed up at her back door last night.

Fantastic new Chris.

Cat Lover of Mars 👽

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Steve Coombs said:

I still wince to remember Emilio the Psycho Kitten bagging my RCAF demo Hornet. The kit was replaceable, but it took me some years to procure the decals again.

If only I had looked at him just beforehand. I only need to look in that cat's general direction for him to tip over sideways in the expectation of a good stroking and tummy rub.

So your Meteor has been CAT-scanned.

Chris

• Haha 6

The siamese cat I had when I was a kid used to disappear at about this time of year.  The first time he did it we were frantic, but then he reappeared 10 days later looking sleek and fatter than when he’d left - we lived in rural Lincolnshire at the time [alarmingly close to Melchett Towers] and he’d been gorging on pheasant chicks.  

He used to repeat the dose every August, to the point that we became pretty blasé about it.  He eventually died warm and contented in his bed, aged almost 19.  

But I completely understand the worry, so welcome home Spinelli!

• Like 3

14 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

I know your pain. Nice progress Mr B. 🥳

Thanks Johnny :) 

13 hours ago, dogsbody said:

That's looking great, Ced. 

For the pet lovers here, my daughter's cat, Spinelli, showed up at her back door last night.

Chris

13 hours ago, perdu said:

Great news

10 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Indeed, glad she's home safe!

10 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Fantastic new Chris.

Cat Lover of Mars 👽

Chris, as Bill, Keith and Martian say, good news! :) 

10 hours ago, Steve Coombs said:

Yikes Steve! Was it a CATastrophe? 🙄

8 hours ago, dogsbody said:

So your Meteor has been CAT-scanned.

Chris

:rofl:

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

Great news about the Spinelli. We have a ‘ barn cat ‘ which adopted us about 10 years ago, who goes walkabout occasionally and I do get concerned if he’s been away for more than a couple of days.

John

1 hour ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

The siamese cat I had when I was a kid used to disappear at about this time of year.  The first time he did it we were frantic, but then he reappeared 10 days later looking sleek and fatter than when he’d left - we lived in rural Lincolnshire at the time [alarmingly close to Melchett Towers] and he’d been gorging on pheasant chicks.  

He used to repeat the dose every August, to the point that we became pretty blasé about it.  He eventually died warm and contented in his bed, aged almost 19.  

But I completely understand the worry, so welcome home Spinelli!

Thanks John and Crisp :) 

Masking mojo very low at the moment - there may be a gap in progress.

Talk amongst yourselves…

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Steve Coombs said:

I only need to look in that cat's general direction for him to tip over sideways in the expectation of a good stroking and tummy rub.

If he's like ours that lasts about 10 seconds before the claws come out and a 'gotcha' grin appears on his face....!!

K

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

In no way wishing to hijack Ced's thread, I was worrying about the mismatch between the two undercarriage bays, especially as I had 'flu when I made the necessary cuts to my kit and the work was far from my best. To my surprise they matched exactly.  What I did find however was that the wingtips did not match by a good 1'5mm at least and the outer to inner lower wing joint touched where it didn't fit. the cut out for the landing light was even worse. I have put all this right but it set me thinking about Fly kits in general. This is not to criticise Ced's efforts in any way as, as far as I can see, he did everything right. I suspect it is down to the instructions which are not exactly the best I have ever seen. Just be prepared for the fact that if the kit fits in one place, there is a good chance that it will not in another.

To get the best out of them, these kits seem to require a different mindset to most other short run kits. This is the sixth Fly kit I have built and I have had really good results from the first five. Obviously they are far from being shake and bake kits but I have found that a different approach to normal tends to pay dividends with them. What I mean by this is that I have gradually learned to accept that a long game is a better way to tackle them. Make a start and keep going until enthusiasm starts to ebb. At this point, put the model away until you feel like coming back to it. Believe me you will as the subjects offered are pretty unique. Do a bit more until the enthusiasm ebbs again and then stop once more. Keep repeating this and one day all of a sudden the model is ready for paint. In other words be prepared for a long but rewarding build.

Martian 👽

002.jpg

001.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I'm back from a couple of days with daughter #1 in Leicestershire. Hot. Saturday at the County show. Hot.

Back home now and cooling off :) 

Thanks Keith and Steve :) 

Thanks Martian :) No need to apologise, not a highjack at all - it's great  to have some confirmation that it's not just me…

I agree that short run kits need a different mindset; they're more of starting point for fettling than an easy-assembly kit and, as you say, the instructions are more of a guide.

Your wings are looking good and I'm just about to try to join mine to the fuselage. They're a good example of what you mean:

48622756681_04ccc2f4cc_z.jpg

Can you see the excess plastic on the edges of the wing?

How about the protruding spar which, you will remember, fitted so well in the nacelle?

I see some trimming, sanding and lots of dry fitting in my future!

Yes, the masking is complete:

48622772602_0744c2a879_z.jpg

… and the resin intakes and coolers have been attached:

48622832362_d3c764627f_z.jpg

48622394848_aef5ac12d2_z.jpg

I'm going to use the diagram in Wiki - looks like a 'flat' join eh?

spacer.png

Emoscopes [CC BY 3.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0)]

• Like 5

Shout out for the Flory big flat sander:

48622526393_53b4320177_z.jpg

With the excess plastic sanded off a few adjustments and then out with the Lego and tube glue:

48622576073_1f6c6542df_z.jpg

OK, I have to admit it's 'a bit wobbly' - I think the tailplanes are slightly off - but nothing that can't be cured with some crafty camera angles (ahem).

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

On 22/08/2019 at 10:35, CedB said:

I had wondered why they supply 8 parts when you only need 4 and then PING, lost one. That'll be it then.

Uh, wrong! I need four for the ailerons. Rats. But wait - that PE between the parts is roughly the right shape isn't it?

48623196136_e0bbb6fe0e_z.jpg

Can you tell which is the cut one? 

48623275901_f0e6b20875_z.jpg

No? Good.

Yes? Obviously not out of focus enough then. Ho hum.

Some Humbrol filler plastered in the roots:

48623139371_c500a8df67_z.jpg

Bit of sanding, fit the loop aerial, supports and pitot and we're ready for primer!

• Like 12

Oh, you’ve been away, I thought it had been quiet on here for the last couple of days.

Hot! Tell me about it, we’ve just brought the horses in for the afternoon and the temperature ( in the shade ) by the stables was 32C. Rain forecast for tomorrow, yeah right.

John

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Thanks John and Keith - too hot! Let's hope it gets a bit cooler soon :) 

Final filler in, sticky out bits on, just drying then ready for primer:

48623468863_e527f88642_z.jpg

The cowlings are just held on with BluTak at the moment. Hopefully they won't blow off!

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, CedB said:

Thanks John and Keith - too hot! Let's hope it gets a bit cooler soon :) 

Final filler in, sticky out bits on, just drying then ready for primer:

48623468863_e527f88642_z.jpg

The cowlings are just held on with BluTak at the moment. Hopefully they won't blow off!

Is this a tool tart moment? TePe brushes?

You don’t use them for cleaning out any nooks and crannies, do you?

Edited by Whofan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Whofan said:

Is this a tool tart moment? TePe brushes?

You don’t use them for cleaning out any nooks and crannies, do you?

TePe brushes are, according to the packet, 0.4mm so I thought they'd be ideal for the 0.4mm nozzle. As happens, they're not long enough :( 

2 hours ago, giemme said:

Pressing on with this Ced, aren't you? :clap2: 

Ingenious save for the PE :worthy:

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio :) 

2 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Nice save on the P.E there Ced.

She is coming along quite well dear chap.

How`s Molly BTW?

Simon.

Thanks Simon :) Mols is fine, as always, but her eyelids are still bald… hoping to get the results of the expensive tests tomorrow, at which point they'll probably tell us that most of the drugs aren't doing anything. Just goes to prove one of my GP friends quotes that "drugs are what we give you to keep you quiet while nature makes you better"!

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

Looks great, despite being a swine of a kit!

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian :) Silk purses are almost possible!

1 hour ago, Navy Bird said:

Sweet! Looks like a Whitley to me! What's all this hubbub about it being a lousy kit?    :)

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks Bill :D 

1 hour ago, limeypilot said:

Coming along nicely. I still can't get over the "bent" look of the engines on this mark. It just looks so odd!

Ian

Thanks Ian :) I know, weird isn't it - I shall try to get the angle of the dangle right when I glue the cowlings on. I guess that's why she flew 'nose down'?

While I'm waiting for the filler to dry off I painted the first coat on the turrets and Nulm Oiled the props and tailwheel.

48624581956_1a8b98ecbb_z.jpg

The exhausts have also had some burnt iron brushed on and will get a rust dry brush before I stick 'em on at the end.

• Like 10