Whitley Mk III - Fly 1/72

CedB

You are a dogged blighter and we loved ye for the stoic efforts you're  making with this kit Ced.

That tail turret looks like an AW.38 to me? Same as the Anson?spacer.png

Plus the front:

2019-08-20_10-23-35

(Best wishes to Molly)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, CedB said:

Thanks for the Fly images Hendie - you're going to run out soon, aren't you?

(subtle challenge)

Subtle?   wassat then?

Some folks might think this Fly is skating rings around you

magnus-muhr-dead-flies-art-3-537x358.jpg

but we all know better Ced.   Don't we?  We all know you'll beat him into submission

Now, if only you'd been building a Wellington, this would have been more appropriate!

dead_flies_art8.jpg

But we all know there's only one place this can end...

h1lI88U.jpg

now I can't leave without stating the obvious... I give you the classic Wire track

(no apologies!)

• Haha 12

6 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Sorry to hear about Molly, I hope they find a solution soon.

I don’t like masking canopies so often use ready made masks, but what a pain when they don’t fit the kit they where specifically designed for. Repeat after my “ calm, calm, calm “.

I’m sure you will prevail, you’re a proper modeller now.

John

5 hours ago, giemme said:

Same here Ced, sorry to hear about Mols :(

Keep it up with the masking, Ced :thumbsup:

Ciao

5 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Indeed - get well soon Molls!!

And those masks remind me why I stick to Tamy tape (no pun intended!)

K

4 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Sorry to hear about Molls dear chap.

Hope they sort her out soon.

Bashing that kit into submission Ced.

Simon.

Thanks John, Giorgio, Keith and Simon - she's getting lots of treats but the drug regime is a bit taxing…

A little pill twice a day (with cheese)

Anti-bacterial eye drops four times a day

Lubricating eye drops twice a day

Iodine wash twice a day and

She's had her 'old' drop on treatment tonight.

I might get the nurses costume out :) 

3 hours ago, dogsbody said:

I hope Molly gets better soon. My daughter's little kitty has been missing for over a week now. We are all quite worried. There are a lot of wild beasts up here in The Great North Woods that would take a small cat quickly. She is a fighter, so there's hope.

48586243746_ace746d1e4_b.jpg

Chris

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Oh dear, hope she's home safe soon Chris...

Keith

2 hours ago, perdu said:

Ditto

I am basically a dog guy but any pet deserves a safe happy life, let's hope she wins out and comes home

Same from me Chris- I hope she's home safe soon :) 

3 hours ago, Fatboydim said:

You've put a lot of work into this build Ced. Not just the on the model, but answering all your fan mail as well.  😄

Thanks Joe :) It's nice to have a 'tribe' around you when you're trying something tricky.

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

Thoroughly enjoying this build Ced and not just because you are ironing some of the kit's wrinkles for me.

Appreciative of Mars 👽

You're very welcome Martian :)

Thanks Hendie - no flies (left) on you eh? :D 

Mrs B is away for the night so I've been doing chores decorating enjoying loafing about but thought I'd have a quick mask tonight using my usual Oramask cut with a #15 pushed along the frame line:

48586897602_2b5909341b_z.jpg

Messed up some of the cutting, mainly due to the red stuff on the paper towel - yes, the blade slipped at the end into my thumb. Quickly sorted with some CA in the wound, another trick learned on BM:

48586761411_50b1219604_z.jpg

Didn't even sting!

I now have a blob of CA on my thumb… what do I do with that? Just wait for it to fall off?

• Like 9
  • Sad 5

The CA will fall off as new skin replaces the old. As regards the Whitley, inspired by your build, I actually went and dug mine out and spent a pleasant session getting the wings glued together. Filler time for the nacelles tomorrow.

Martian 👽

• Like 3

Great, thanks Martian - great first aid tip! :) 

Site down again this morning… but I didn't get much (visible) done; remaking the canopy (without injury) and tackling the horrid turrets:

48591181501_ccd465fee5_z.jpg

That'll need some work. And the other one.

• Like 13

17 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Thoroughly enjoying this build Ced and not just because you are ironing some of the kit's wrinkles for me.

Me too, especially since the Fly Whitley is the kit sitting closest to my computer workstation. I often feel its evil eye staring at me, like some Poe story. Accordingly, perhaps it should have a premature burial and I can buy the Airfix kit...

Cheers,

Bill

• Haha 6

How terribly careless of you, old chap!

I hope Mrs B doesn't let you carve the roast.

Coming on though, slowly but surely!

@hendie surely that last pic (of the graveyard) should be a garibaldi?

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, giemme said:

Giving your blood for the cause of modelling - how heroic of you, Ced :worthy: :D

Great going with Oramask for the canopy :thumbsup:

Ciao

4 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

The dangers of the scalpel eh.

At least it was not a hospital case.

Looking good there, Ced.

Simon.

Thanks Giorgio and Simon :) 

2 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Me too, especially since the Fly Whitley is the kit sitting closest to my computer workstation. I often feel its evil eye staring at me, like some Poe story. Accordingly, perhaps it should have a premature burial and I can buy the Airfix kit...

Cheers,

Bill

Resist Bill, resist! The Airfix is a much better bet if you ask me :) 

1 hour ago, limeypilot said:

How terribly careless of you, old chap!

I hope Mrs B doesn't let you carve the roast.

Coming on though, slowly but surely!

@hendie surely that last pic (of the graveyard) should be a garibaldi?

Ian

I do carve the roast Ian, but not with a scalpel and I don't hold the roast in my hand!! :D 

Flogging dead horses:

48592906922_621b35c566_z.jpg

I will persevere. The front turret fit is restricted by a bizarre lump of plastic inside this part:

48592937162_a0eac61302_z.jpg

… but once that was removed the fit is OKish: 

48592963892_266636f118_z.jpg

Needs some sanding. Surprise surprise…

• Like 17

3 hours ago, CedB said:

Needs some sanding. Surprise surprise…

Hello Ced,  Scrub, scrub, scrub  (not TLC's No scrubs) and it will become right . Nothing else will clear it, I think. Micromesh and other things.  Hope Molly will be fine again soon. Nice progress apart of your inconvieniences with the vet and everyting around with it. Really like that dog from what I've seen.

Cheers Benedikt

• Like 1

13 hours ago, giemme said:

Ced, you haven't dipped those clear parts in Aqua Gloss yet, right?

Ciao

Right, thanks Giorgio :) 

I had previously had a problem where the Aqua Gloss reacted to the masking tape and went misty again so I tend to leave this to the end and brush some on if the clear isn't clear enough. It MAY be that I didn't let it dry for long enough? How long do you think it needs to fully 'cure'?

I also think (correct me if I'm wrong) that it works by filling any fine imperfections to prevent the refraction that causes 'misty'? With these blobs of plastic I though they needed some sanding first. Worth it though - before and after:

48592906922_621b35c566_z.jpg

48597808142_ba6aa7e6d5_z.jpg

Good stuff isn't it?

12 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Great work Ced. Those turrets don’t took too bad. Not very clear I’ll give you that but they’ll look smart once painted I bet.

Hope Molly is alright too. Poor sausage. 🐶

Johnny

Thanks Johnny :) 

11 hours ago, bbudde said:

Hello Ced,  Scrub, scrub, scrub  (not TLC's No scrubs) and it will become right . Nothing else will clear it, I think. Micromesh and other things.  Hope Molly will be fine again soon. Nice progress apart of your inconvieniences with the vet and everyting around with it. Really like that dog from what I've seen.

Cheers Benedikt

Thanks Ben :) 

9 hours ago, hendie said:

a fine job Ced.  There's no flies on you is there?

(and I hope everyone gets better, and dogs and cats are back where they should be, both in health and location)

Thanks hendie :) 

• Like 11

I've been pondering over this front section and decided that I should apply this part now, fill and blend then mask before spraying:

48598058196_5464aab6fc_z.jpg

While that's drying I may as well do some other things that need to dry:

48598056746_42e74bdf32_z.jpg

I've trimmed and sanded the tailplanes so that they fit without gaps and was reaching for the Lego when I thought 'Why not try the technology' and tried the TET Quick Setting:

48598238042_4ff1be7e9c_z.jpg

Worked well. Like the standard TET it melts the plastic BUT it flashes off really quickly. Usual capillary action, press and hold, but the melted plastic soon solidifies - you can feel it doing so - and you get a small amount of wiggle time. I thought it wouldn't be as strong a join as my normal glues but then decided if the plastic had melted why should it be any different? We shall see…

Before I attached the fins I decided I should attach the PE actuators. There's a little slot on the front of the rudder but no guidance otherwise so I guess they would be mounted on a rib on the fin:

48598184656_6837639bca_z.jpg

I had wondered why they supply 8 parts when you only need 4 and then PING, lost one. That'll be it then.

Nightmare of a job. Lots of Anglo-Saxon as, shakily, I got the part positioned with tweezers only to have it fall over.

At one point I rested the part on the bench and bent the previously applied one on the other side. idiot.

Done now - just need to let my nerves settle…

Are the struts going to fit?

48598200316_8409f949e1_z.jpg

They look OK so, once things are a bit drier, I'll have a go at those later.

• Like 15

It's later.

Bill (perdu) recommended 'tube glue' some time ago for some jobs - grips a bit to hold the part and gives you wiggle room - so I used that on the bottom off the fins and the quick stuff on the struts:

48598392481_fb7dfcc8b9_z.jpg

Apart from getting some TET on the fin (hard to get past the PE) all went well:

48598537327_5cd2fd7951_z.jpg

Happy with that.

Ignore the instructions, of course - they would have you line up the struts with the windows that aren't there.

• Like 15
  • Haha 3

Finally this morning, the ridiculous but prominent resin nav lights:

48598715771_7f47eef835_z.jpg

Not fun. Of course they stuck to everything (fingers, tweezers, prodders) except the plastic. Maddening.

Tailwheel cleaned up:

48598858022_3396a00c28_z.jpg

Not easy to remove cleanly - the gate goes into the angle between the tyre and the support.

Thanks Fly.

Not.

• Like 11

5 hours ago, CedB said:

I tend to leave this to the end and brush some on if the clear isn't clear enough. It MAY be that I didn't let it dry for long enough? How long do you think it needs to fully 'cure'?

I also think (correct me if I'm wrong) that it works by filling any fine imperfections to prevent the refraction that causes 'misty'?

Brushing clear on canopies works well, however have you tried dipping them. I always dip mine in a glass jar i have filled with my clear coat. Then i tap excess off as i pull it out of the clear. Any left over i wick off on some kitchen paper towel. I then have an old plastic container i let them sit in to dry for a day or two to harden and cure dust free. By dipping it also eliminates any brush strokes or contaminants from getting onto them via the brush. I use a locking set of tweezers or forceps to hold on while i dip. 

Dennis

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Ced, first:  :wow: What a progress!! :clap:

Secondly:

5 hours ago, CedB said:

Good stuff isn't it?

Indeed! :clap:

I bought Aqua Gloss because of your advice, and I have to say I'm 100% satisfied with it so far. I always dip the clear parts in it, as Dennis says, shaking off the excess and leaving the part curing on a paper towel overnight (at least). However, I do that only after polishing it. I did also successfully reapplied it by brush after unmasking or accidentally scratching the clear part, and it does fix any minor blemishes - it's that good. It also sprays very well through the airbrush.

Ciao

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I use Klear for that. Either dipped or brushed on it makes no differance as it's self levelling.

I think you may have the actuators on back to front. The small bit is usually attached to the front of the rudder, and the longer bit is the actuator wire.

Ian

• Thanks 1

Thanks Dennis and Giorgio - I'll certainly follow your tips in the future :) 

5 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

I use Klear for that. Either dipped or brushed on it makes no differance as it's self levelling.

I think you may have the actuators on back to front. The small bit is usually attached to the front of the rudder, and the longer bit is the actuator wire.

Ian

Thanks Ian :) They're WHAT! Wait… checks instructions… gaaaaaahhh you're right! Off they come then. :weep: 

I've also given up on the masks. Although most sites say 'for the Fly Whitley' they don't say which mark except this one that says they're for the Mk V / VII. That's why they don't fit eh? In the spares box with them.

• Like 3