Whitley Mk III - Fly 1/72

CedB

5 hours ago, CedB said:

Or maybe Humbrol filler if it's not too bad?

Bought a tube in my local Hobbycraft a couple of weeks back as my last tube of Squadron green dried up. Have to say I quite like it, seems to dry quicker and sand a bit smoother than the green stuff.

Plugging away nicely at the Whitley Ced!

• Like 3

Thanks Roger, Giorgio and Ian :) 

16 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Bought a tube in my local Hobbycraft a couple of weeks back as my last tube of Squadron green dried up. Have to say I quite like it, seems to dry quicker and sand a bit smoother than the green stuff.

Plugging away nicely at the Whitley Ced!

Thanks Keith.

I really like the Humbrol filler. It's nice and 'sticky' out of the tube, spreads well then starts to go off and can be shaped for a while. Dries pretty quickly and sands well.

Don't forget you can thin it with Liquid Poly and, at Bill's suggestion, I always put a drop of LP in the top before I close the lid to stop it drying. HTH :) 

I've been thinking.

Unusual I know.

How do I get these bits to fit AND have the wheel poking out a bit without it being glued to the doors?

48549479672_bddbbc53f6_z.jpg

The plan is to fit the doors like this:

48549406276_c565d27b40_z.jpg

Glued after some fettling. When that's dry I can work out how to stick the wheel in - probably with some scratch plastic sticking it to the top of the bay.

For a break from the puzzle I've cleaned up the empennage bits:

48542716531_d4189e9059_z.jpg

After drilling out the hole I filed the fin until it 'sort of fits'. Both sides.

Same with the join to the fuselage which does have a locating pin but also excess plastic. Of course.

I'll glue those on towards the end.

Unless I need another distraction.

• Like 9

I've had one of those 'Oh, get on with it' moments and decided that this:

48549759207_1a5c9fb49f_z.jpg

… is good enough for the ceiling so I sanded the edges of the wheel a bit and stuck it in. That allowed me to fit the nacelle 'as best I could':

48549650226_c71a2a5c2c_n.jpg 48549796897_21f5eb641b_n.jpg

48549652481_81d31e833f_n.jpg 48549653486_52e374cb50_n.jpg

Now I have to do the other side!

• Like 17

Gosh that's a lot of work. It's a step up from the FROG one (which I am contemplating...) but miles behind the Airfix offering. But you are bashing it into shape and I'm enjoying the thread, even though you haven't (yet) got diverted into discussions of unhealthy diverse food types...

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Thanks Giorgio and Adrian :) 

Started on the other side - should be easy as I now have the… WHAT!

48550812081_7f37cca061_z.jpg

The doors don't fit :headbang:

It's the same size as the other side:

48550957707_850e583ce6_z.jpg

What the…

48550989172_7105878e3a_z.jpg

Remember I was pleased that the panel lines on the part to cut was the required 5mm?

Not on this side, obviously. Rats.

Not to worry, I have some plastic left over from the packing on the back.

Later.

• Like 8
  • Sad 6

8 hours ago, perdu said:

If you want plastic I've got some

Seems a tad unwieldy that kit, still easier than converting the Airfix kit I suppose

Ah, but the Airfix is a Mk V or VII - not this old rubbish :D 

4 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Ced, have you used up all the good Anglo-Saxon words yet?

Chris

Ah Chris, it will be a long time before I use up my Anglo-Saxon :D 

28 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

This Fly jobbie is heavy going Ced, but you are doing a great job. Whatever you do, don't let @hendie say "I told you so"! 

Terry

PS - Actually it was probably @limeypilot but my memory plays tricks these days!

Thanks Terry :) I'm sure no one would say "I told you so" - they'll just nod, smugly :D 

Getting there, slowly:

48554547032_b6ed7b9700_z.jpg

• Like 13

Methinks the mods should allow you a special one off on line cuss over that one! Better check my kit.

Apprehensive of Mars 👽

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, CedB said:

Ah, but the Airfix is a Mk V or VII - not this old rubbish :D 

We DID say convert sir, I am certain we did...

"Winning"

Without having to stand next to a huge puddle

:)

(Cultural requirement. Must have observed weird T.V advert for hotel prices to recognise the quote)

It is now a certainty that no kit should hold fears for Mr B after this thing, great work old chap

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wow! I decided to open the BM door last night after a week or so camping and festivals and whatnot and look what’s gone on. The turret. Remember the turret? What an elegant solution. 😇 I do love the way you just get on with things and end up with wonderful results. I totally understand your wobble a few pages back , I remember having similar thoughts during my 1/24 Messerschmitt build. There really is no need Mr B, in my eyes you’re one of the most accomplished modellers on our little site, so many different techniques and ideas and always ploughing on with constantly great results. Reading this over last night and this morning has given me a real pang to get back to the bench so that’s what I’m going to do. “Thanks Ced” 😀 This bird really seems like the “Hell of a ride” I thought it would be but you’re doing her proud. Bravo sir.

Johnny. 🤓 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Methinks the mods should allow you a special one off on line cuss over that one! Better check my kit.

Apprehensive of Mars 👽

Thanks Martian :) 

Thanks Bill - "Winning"; love those ads with Captain Obvious, like this one :D 

Welcome back Johnny and thanks to you and Giorgio for the kind comments :blush:

I think I'm coming to the end of the great wing bashing:

48556745652_ff16f571b8_z.jpg

I've also chosen a scheme, mainly based on the lack of windows (ahem).

K8957, TQoS of 102 Sqdn.

According to the scheme she was at Driffield, Yorkshire in 1939.

According to this:

"T/o Abingdon and set course for Jurby on the Isle of Man. While flying at 8,000 feet, lost control and crashed circa 1700 near the railway station at Northcote, not far distant from Stratford-Upon-Avon, Warwickshire. P/O Salzgeber parachuted safely. F/O McSherry is buried in Burstwick (All Saints) Churchyard; P/O Ainsworth was taken to Woodchurch (Holy Cross) Churchyard at Birkenhead; while P/O Davies and LAC Costello were brought for interment to Abingdon Cemetery"

• Like 7

1 minute ago, perdu said:

Might painting the wheels and tyres be a tad awkward?

You’d think. Oddly, Airfix's wheels-up solution is moulded wheel sticking out of the closed doors, equally hard to paint.

Then again, it’s all black under there, and a quick brush with one's preferred tyre colour won’t be hard. 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks Bill and Heather - I'm well practiced at painting wheels 'up' so no fear from me; as Heather says a quick few blobs of rubber black should do it :) 

Thanks Simon :) 

As a break from the wings and to assuage my guilt somewhat I marked the few windows and drilled them out as well as I could. 

I found that this plastic (quite nice it is) scribed better than it cut so I did that, then sawed out for a straight edge:

48556875826_04bdfa2b91_z.jpg

The tweezers were there to, hopefully, stop the scrap rattling into the interior.

Scared that the clear part would clatter in I've 'made a window' with ClearFix first (which won't mask, I don't think?) and carefully popped the window in on top of that.

I'll come back to this when my nerves have recovered!

• Like 9

One side (including the door window which needs ClearFix) done:

48557483096_acd92bf386_z.jpg

Realised I should deal with the fuselage seam before doing the top windows.

Lost mojo.

Did the engines and cowlings:

48557471176_171e59b02f_z.jpg

The resin fits in the plastic without cutting off the block - result!

But they won't go on the nacelles like that - rats.

The engines are Bristols so glossy black gearbox for Chris :) 

• Like 9

15 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Whatever you do, don't let @hendie say "I told you so"! 

now, I would never do that to our Ced but I did tell him folks, didn't I?

giphy.gif

Looks like you're almost on top of it Ced.  Whatever happens don't let up - remember what happened to Seth Brundle 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, CedB said:

K8957, TQoS of 102 Sqdn.

According to the scheme she was at Driffield, Yorkshire in 1939.

According to this:

"T/o Abingdon and set course for Jurby on the Isle of Man. While flying at 8,000 feet, lost control and crashed circa 1700 near the railway station at Northcote, not far distant from Stratford-Upon-Avon, Warwickshire. P/O Salzgeber parachuted safely. F/O McSherry is buried in Burstwick (All Saints) Churchyard; P/O Ainsworth was taken to Woodchurch (Holy Cross) Churchyard at Birkenhead; while P/O Davies and LAC Costello were brought for interment to Abingdon Cemetery"

Lovely plastic wrangling Ced. I have one of these (a mk.VII Ithink) buried away. I think it can stay buried based on this!

Odd isn't it how the past sometimes touches you. I'm sat at home just a handful of miles from Northcote, indeed it's just off one of my cycling routes. I'll keep these brave boys in mind next time I pass.

Edge

• Like 3

3 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Nice pair too....

:coat:

Thanks Keith :D 

1 hour ago, hendie said:

now, I would never do that to our Ced but I did tell him folks, didn't I?

giphy.gif

Looks like you're almost on top of it Ced.  Whatever happens don't let up - remember what happened to Seth Brundle 

Thanks hendie - Seth Brundle? Oh, 'The Fly', got it! :D 

40 minutes ago, Edge said:

Lovely plastic wrangling Ced. I have one of these (a mk.VII Ithink) buried away. I think it can stay buried based on this!

Odd isn't it how the past sometimes touches you. I'm sat at home just a handful of miles from Northcote, indeed it's just off one of my cycling routes. I'll keep these brave boys in mind next time I pass.

Edge

Thanks Edge - if you do cycle past the site please doff your cycle helmet for me :) 

Cowlings glued and engines cut off the block and burnished a bit:

48558034861_687b361406_z.jpg

Top seam Ninja'd off:

48558602601_45620083f1_z.jpg

The bottom needs some filler though:

48558742907_78e4492f5d_z.jpg

I've also had a look at the resin prop hubs and got out the PropMaster…

• Like 10