Whitley Mk III - Fly 1/72

CedB

1 hour ago, bbudde said:

That's spacey music. Like that. Sounds a bit like mixture of Kraftwerk and Rammstein for me. Cheers

The record is called "Marvin the Paranoid Android, The double B side". The other side is called "Reasons to be Miserable". He often hangs out around some of the seedier bars on Mars, complaining to anyone who will listen about the pain in all of the diodes down the left side of his body.

Martian 👽

• Haha 3

19 hours ago, giemme said:

That turrent went from being a nightmare to becoming a dream! :clap: :clap:

Ciao

Awww thanks Giorgio :) 

18 hours ago, bbudde said:

Yep, eventually one coat again, but  I would drop  Erdal Glänzer/Future /Johnsns Clearvax twice  on or so.  With a cocktail stick, no brush for these little things The macro shows, nothing is wrong on that and it shows everything there.

Cheers

Thanks Ben, good tips :) 

Thanks Tony (especially for the lolly), Ian, Terry, Roger and Simon :) 

4 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

You mean this one? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0HSUOaoZCM

Martian 👽

Thanks Martian - playing in the background as I type this. 'B sides'? Don't talk to me about 'B sides', hate 'em :D 

Oooh, it's gone on to play side A… Funky!

Note to future modellers.

The turret goes into the fuselage like this:

48511802576_04e44d7315_z.jpg

… or it will with a bit of fettling. 

Now then, how are you going to protect the turret after close up while you're doing all the other stuff?

Eh, tell me that then?

Simple dear Watson - the lower part is used for the 'closed option' so I'll just glue that in, temporarily, like this:

48511995617_05ce602a0a_z.jpg

it'll be fine.

I'm sure.

Probably…

• Like 12
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Note to future modellers.

The turret goes into the fuselage like this:

Future modellers? Who on earth do you think is going to be daft enough to take this kit on after seeing the work you had to do on that turret??!! (which now looks great btw!)

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Simple dear Watson - the lower part is used for the 'closed option' so I'll just glue that in, temporarily, like this:

48511995617_05ce602a0a_z.jpg

I do hope that doesn't end in tears Holmes, with the dashed turret vanishing into the stygian depths of the fuselage, what.......?

Dr Wats... Keith

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

24 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

I do hope that doesn't end in tears Holmes, with the dashed turret vanishing into the stygian depths of the fuselage, what.......?

I'm equally concerned. To glue it like that, with enough glue to hold it there, against all that will ensue between now and when you need to pull it back out again, and then be able to easily pull it back out again, feels risky ............... just saying....

I don't think I can watch that step when it comes!

Terry

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Simples

Glue it in with Maskol

Only in a couple of places, then just pull as if removing stubborn (isn't it always) masking fluid rather than unglueing the thing from the place it really feels at home in...

Just saying, just

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Future modellers? Who on earth do you think is going to be daft enough to take this kit on after seeing the work you had to do on that turret??!! 

Err, I've got one of these!

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 1

43 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

Martian 👽

'Nuff said. However, having one, and being daft enough to start it, are two entirely different things!

Ian

(I'm trying to give you an escape route....)

• Haha 8

44 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

Nuff said. However, having one, and being daft enough to start it, are two entirely different things!

I'd get your coat if I were you Ian

Terry

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, limeypilot said:

'Nuff said. However, having one, and being daft enough to start it, are two entirely different things!

Ian

But I have been working on it on and off. I just started with the engine nacelles.

Martian the Escapologist 👽

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Terry

As someone who has deliberately built not one, but 3 Merlin kits, and has more in the stash, I really feel more than qualified on this! I have a nice pointy hat too!

ian

• Haha 4

15 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Protect it against what? You did glue it, didn't you?

Ian

NO! Not glued in, yet :) 

Imagine what could happen with that thing, including two barrels, poking out of the bottom (careful) of the fuselage while I'm trying to handle the model, paint, sand etc etc.

Makes me shudder :shutup:

15 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Future modellers? Who on earth do you think is going to be daft enough to take this kit on after seeing the work you had to do on that turret??!! (which now looks great btw!)

Dr Wats... Keith

14 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

I'm equally concerned. To glue it like that, with enough glue to hold it there, against all that will ensue between now and when you need to pull it back out again, and then be able to easily pull it back out again, feels risky ............... just saying....

I don't think I can watch that step when it comes!

Terry

14 hours ago, perdu said:

Simples

Glue it in with Maskol

Only in a couple of places, then just pull as if removing stubborn (isn't it always) masking fluid rather than unglueing the thing from the place it really feels at home in...

Just saying, just

Thanks Keith and Terry - my worry exactly. Imagine the feeling as it clatters inside… :worry:

Bill that's my thought, only with Copydex. 

Worth a check though:

48517974931_35cc2d3c56_z.jpg

Hmmm. Hadn't thought about the barrels sticking on the inside, but it does wiggle out and the tapered lower part (avoid saying 'bottom' again!) will, hopefully, stop it dropping in:

48517980706_c8ac93689a_z.jpg

You know I like a bit of tension in my threads but I think it'll be OK. Or will it?

14 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Martian 👽

…and I'm sure you'll make I great job of it Martian! :) 

13 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Ian

12 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Terry

11 hours ago, keefr22 said:

But, dear Martian, I was only refering to meagre earthlings....!!

Keith

:rofl2:

9 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

But I have been working on it on and off. I just started with the engine nacelles.

Martian the Escapologist 👽

Ah! Will there be a WiP?

1 hour ago, limeypilot said:

As someone who has deliberately built not one, but 3 Merlin kits, and has more in the stash, I really feel more than qualified on this! I have a nice pointy hat too!

ian

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

Has it got a 'D' on the front....

(Snigger snigger)

• Like 4

Some fiddling this morning.

Seats and table were glued in last night. I'd lost a leg and knocked another off so stuck things together again and applied some light colour to the table top. I cheated by using the same 'Linen' as I had for the seat belts. Then, to test some wood effect (that I'm going to need in the future) I brushed on some Gouache:

48517888807_934bccc340_z.jpg

Happy with that. Glued in the control column and pedals:

48517847706_1e3085f2dc_z.jpg

Now I'm trying to decide whether to hide the belts with some crew. They'll be seen from the outside, unlike the belts. I have the photo I guess.

Gave everything a wash with the Robvulcan recommended Sepia stuff:

48518048792_b3cb5ac6dd_z.jpg

Some nonsense on the i/p, shown here with the Krystal Klear drops yet to dry:

48517935646_615a6aa8a6_z.jpg

We'll see that again later.

• Like 13

3 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Has it got a 'D' on the front....

That's exactly what it has, in nice big shiny colour too! It sits next to the Merlin kits to remind me.....

Ced, couldn't you have just glued the inner ring in place and then attached the turret later, when it's safe?

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Have you considered boxing in the turret with scrap plastic so it cant fall in to the fuselage ? Maybe a piece in front, back, and above it to just say nope you're not going anywhere ? My :2c: worth of idea ? 

Dennis

Thanks Dennis - could do, that would be safe, but I'm probably too lazy.

Would you believe I did consider making a brass frame with working sliding tubes like Chris' image?

I blame TheBaron! :D 

56 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

That's exactly what it has, in nice big shiny colour too! It sits next to the Merlin kits to remind me.....

Ced, couldn't you have just glued the inner ring in place and then attached the turret later, when it's safe?

Ian

Thanks Ian - a very sensible idea that I should have thought of… :) 

I'm worried I may break it off trying to get it to fit and then the problem will be solved…

Actually I may try to prise it off… hold on…

48518725556_f65ab1a016_z.jpg

Ta dah! That'll be much safer and will give me more options for getting the ring to fit. Result!

It's also made me worry a bit about the glues - I tried using the Quick TET on the front gunner's seat (see below) and nothing happened. :hmmm:

• Like 9

Progress.

Crew selection. I think the chubbies (of which I have lots painted) might be a bit big:

48518143351_0f78e3b313_z.jpg

… so I've assembled some more candidates for painting:

48518377237_5d756ee4d7_z.jpg

I get bored waiting for the paint to dry if I paint them for each model.

I get bored painting them in bulk.

Perhaps I just find painting crew boring?

Or I need some crew mojo…

Anyway, more Fly short-run comments.

Can you see the extra plastic in the front of the fuselage that's stopping the turret floor fitting?

48518788137_7b0511ba68_z.jpg

Quite often you can see the 'line' of the intended plastic and cut to that with a chisel:

48518662671_55863b34ec_z.jpg

Then everything fits 'as designed':

48518669976_9c8fd7460e_z.jpg

… or will, with a bit of encouragement. Might need a touch of filler.

Tiny guns are ready:

48518695566_4c4db27224_z.jpg

Lunchtime!

• Like 14

8 hours ago, limeypilot said:

After that great idea on the turret Ian I think you can pass the hat to me - I built a Merlin kit once, the experience was so horrifying I've even forgotten what aeroplane the thing was supposed to represent! 

Nice progress Ced. coming on well already!

Keith

• Haha 2

Thanks Giorgio and Keith :) 

The ventral mount got Dextered:

48519961267_edc7d55ef1_z.jpg

…but it still fits too far in due to the plastic inside:

48519801796_fc95134f79_z.jpg

…and the seam won't close:

48520073087_ba2d86d403_z.jpg

Sand, file, sand, fit, repeat and we end up with a part that looks like this:

48519906646_23313194be_z.jpg

… and fits so that the turret will be vertical. Glued in.

Turret clear parts have been assembled:

48528890236_48aecfb6a0_z.jpg

And rear turret internals fitted:

48528950616_42d224d7e5_z.jpg

I'm sure you can see all the 'spare plastic' in that shot. It's been cleaned from the glued side and will be fettled to get a good seam.

Later

• Like 15