Whitley Mk III - Fly 1/72

CedB

Good grief, the thread is only a few hours old and I have to stand at the back. I have on of Fly's Whitley's sitting on the shelf of not quite doom almost ready to assemble as a FAA version once I find out what they look like. The Navy used a number of them as multi-engine trainers. As usual as one of Ced's this will be a classic build. 

• Thanks 1

Blast!

Trying to sleep off the turps in a toilet cubicle and this lot traipse in at an ungodly hour like a herd of  bloody elephants bellowing about Richard Whiteley's flies.

• Haha 12

Room for one more I'll squeeze in along the back wall

Not heard of a radial engined Whitley before so looking forward to learning about this variant whilst watching another masterpiece come together

Roger

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Blast!

Trying to sleep off the turps in a toilet cubicle and this lot traipse in at an ungodly hour like a herd of  bloody elephants bellowing about Richard Whiteley's flies.

Have you been on Baldrick's hooch with @general melchett again? I warned you there was no future in it!

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

14 hours ago, CedB said:

Interesting (in a kind of Chinese curse way…)

No trouble to a modelling Zen master @CedB:)

12 hours ago, keefr22 said:

If the cap fits....!! :tease:

Listen to this man, he understands what goes on here. :D

I'll drop by from time to time, anyone gets sore ribs, it'll just be me elbowing rabble out of the way for a view. <_< 

Steve.

• Haha 3

Wow, page 2 already (unless this takes us on to page 3) and I haven't even cut any parts!

Very nice to see you all and welcome to Heather, Giorgio, Terry, Bill (yep, green and brown), Keith, John, Ian, Christer, Mr T, Benedikt, Geoff, Rob, Dennis, Crisp, Simon and Martian (phew) good to see you all :) 

Some more comment required on these I feel…

20 hours ago, Procopius said:

In any case, Ced, the Airfix Whitley is a MkV, with Merlins, whereas yours has Tiger radials, so this merely looks like keen interest in the earlier marks of the type.

Thanks PC :) Quite right, of course. A quick look at the Wiki entry tells me the type had Tigers until the Mk IV when the Merlins were fitted. Also:

"The Whitley Mk III featured numerous improvements, such as the replacement of the manually operated nose turret with a powered Nash & Thompson turret and a powered retractable twin-gun ventral "dustbin" turret. The ventral turret was hydraulically-powered but proved to be hard to operate and added considerable drag, thus the Whitley Mk III was the only variant to feature this ventral turret arrangement. Other changes included increased dihedreal of the outer wing panels, superior navigational provisions, and the installation of new bomb racks. A total of 80 Whitley Mk III aircraft were manufactured."

The kit includes the ventral turret (but with only one gun) so I guess I should fit that - fun!

16 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

It can get quite full before any action starts. We might even get a few commercials for some of Ced's tools and a trailer for the next build .................😁

Terry

Thanks Terry - not allowed to advertise (ahem) I don't think! :rofl2:

15 hours ago, hendie said:

Fly?

oh dear, Ced.  I shall pray for your soul and mental well-being over the next few months

Thanks hendie :) Oh dear? Praying for my mental well-being? I wondered why so I went to have a look at the part trees (see, I do listen) to see why you might have said that and it looks like a typical short-run kit; a bit of flash and no locating pins but some nice detail. Should be… RATS! I've just broken one of the (check instructions) gun mounts:

48469889051_099142208b_z.jpg

Looks like there's an air bubble there that weakened it?

Of course, if I were a proper modeller I'd reach for my stock of 0.8mm rod and make a new one but as I'm not, I can't. But wait, I did have delusions some time ago and bought:

48469957801_ec0d3444ea_z.jpg

No 0.8. What a surprise.

By the way, my digital vernier:

48470058972_7d7d0386cd_z.jpg

…(does that count as an advert Terry?) is sometimes 'On' when I open the box. Sometimes. Puzzling. If I turn it off and close the box, then open it again, it's off. Open, close; off. Put it in the drawer (so I know where it is q.v. PC's thread) then later, take it out, open the box and it's on! Like some kind of Schrödinger's cat of the tool world; spooky.

Anywhere, where was I?

Oh, hendie worried about my mental state…

I know, I can glue the part back together with some Quick TET ready for later. Knocked the bottle over:

48469871586_a8afc297d4_z.jpg

RATS! Now I have the parts tree in my left hand and glue all over my right hand AND the bench mats. Gaaaahhhh! Put down the plastic (carefully), grab some paper towel and, wow, that quick TET is QUICK!

48469880531_5000bc8ea2_z.jpg

It had already started to stick the mats together and melted the paint markings:

48469880531_5000bc8ea2_z.jpg

Nurse! NURSE! :frantic:

Keep praying hendie, keep praying…

13 hours ago, Moa said:

I am told you are going for a civil scheme, congratulations!

(Link to photo on the Net)

https://forum.keypublishing.com/filedata/fetch?id=3680571&d=1544234264

13 hours ago, Stevejj said:

They look look like Merlin's under the tarps Moa and I thought this was the radial engine version? Or was it said in jest? mmmmm lol

Steve

Thanks Moa and Steve - nice thought though for the Airfix kit, for someone. Seriously :) 

13 hours ago, Stevejj said:

I'm going to follow this as my great uncle worked on the  "bloody things" (his words)just outside Coventry. He was in the prototype section and did tell me of plans for a 4 engine Whitley but I can find no evidence of it.

He retired In 1947 died in 1969 so it could have been a tall tale for an 14 year old lol

If anyone knows of it I would be grateful of any info. 

All the best 

Steve

Thanks Steve, great story :) I'll try to do this "bloody thing" justice!

13 hours ago, 825 said:

Good grief, the thread is only a few hours old and I have to stand at the back. I have on of Fly's Whitley's sitting on the shelf of not quite doom almost ready to assemble as a FAA version once I find out what they look like. The Navy used a number of them as multi-engine trainers. As usual as one of Ced's this will be a classic build. 

Why thank you Sir, too kind :) 

11 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

They did indeed; one appears in my Dad’s logbook during his ASV course in 1944.

Thanks Crisp, more great background :) 

11 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Blast!

Oops, sorry Tony, have another slug, go back to sleep and I'll wake you up when I start doing something interesting. Should be a nice long snooze :D 

10 hours ago, Hamden said:

Room for one more I'll squeeze in along the back wall

Not heard of a radial engined Whitley before so looking forward to learning about this variant whilst watching another masterpiece come together

Roger

5 hours ago, stevehnz said:

No trouble to a modelling Zen master @CedB:)

Listen to this man, he understands what goes on here. :D

I'll drop by from time to time, anyone gets sore ribs, it'll just be me elbowing rabble out of the way for a view. <_< 

Steve.

Thanks Roger and Steve, very kind. I'll try not to disappoint! :) 

5 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Awesome, my multiquote from page 1 has appeared on page 2 without me having to do a duplicate post thinking it hasn't shown, is this a fix @Mike ? Damn good one if it is. :)

Steve. 

Good feature eh? I noticed that multi-quote 'holds' across pages too and it's very useful when replying to threads with lots of replies.

You can just click the little '+' sign, 'like' the post (or whatever) and go on to the next. 

When you get to the end just click the 'Quote 'n' posts' box and ta dah! All the marked posts are quoted and you can edit and reply to them to your heart's content.

Back to transfers on the Spits today but more Whitley soon :) 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, CedB said:

Good feature eh? I noticed that multi-quote 'holds' across pages too and it's very useful when replying to threads with lots of replies.

You can just click the little '+' sign, like the post (or whatever) and go on to the next. 

When you get to the end just click the 'Quote 'n' posts' box and ta dah! All the marked posts are quoted and you can edit and reply to them to your hearts content.

Thanks Ced, I was in a sweat that I hadn't learnt anything today & now you've rescued me, life's good again. :D Seriously, I'd not found that feature but then, my build threads don't attract the same sort of audience as your's so it hasn't been necessary.

6 minutes ago, CedB said:

but more Whitley soon :) 

That's a helluva good plan :)

Steve.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, CedB said:

By the way, my digital vernier:

48470058972_7d7d0386cd_z.jpg

A Tool, I told you didn't I? 😁

20 minutes ago, CedB said:

is sometimes 'On' when I open the box. Sometimes. Puzzling. If I turn it off and close the box, then open it again, it's off. Open, close; off. Put it in the drawer (so I know where it is q.v. PC's thread) then later, take it out, open the box and it's on!

Just like that!

Great start Ced!

Terry

• Haha 9

Ah I see how this works now. Show all the sprues, break summat, spill the tet then go onto a totally different model and ignore the kit that the thread was started for.

All adds to the fun eh? lol.

Steve

• Haha 7

Good to see someone have at this version Ced, not many radial Whitleys get made, which is a shame, as to my jaded eyes it's the best looking version. I built an Airfix/DB Resins conversion a while back which worked out OK, mainly due to the Airfix kit being an excellent starting point. Never built a Fly kit so it'll be interesting to see what you do with it.

Hope you don't mind me posting an image of mine to show folks what the old jalopy looks like...

1-1-DSC-0166.jpg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Well I'm going to follow this for certain. Any thread that makes me laugh out loud is worth returning to!

That's not to say that I don't feel your pain Ced with the Tet calamity though...

(Well I did laugh, but just a bit)

SD

• Like 2

Oh dear mate, problems knocking over the TET .

I had similar with a bottle of primer recently, that makes a mess.

Thankfully, none reached the carpet, otherwise Lady Rose would of been slightly wee wee`d off.

Limited run job, you should breeze it sir.

Canapes anyone?

Simon.

• Haha 3

32 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

I had similar with a bottle of primer recently, 

Mine was a bottle of IPA (no, not the beer kind) - that's verrrry effective at taking the markings off cutting mats!

K

• Like 1

I was right about the Whitley, but wrong about the course; it appears to have been a module (not a very 1944 word, I suspect) on Navigation - ASV came next, starting with that all-important first trip entitled “Switching on procedure”.  History does not relate whether BD480 (in which my father flew several trips) was a Mk.3.

48463483181_7e3330535f_b.jpg

• Like 7

Oh good grief. Late to the party again and no doubt all the chocolates have gone - even the coffee ones 😝

I initially confused this for a Frogswawn but remembered Fly went and did one from scratch (they must have cursed Airfix!).

Anyways, count me in. It’s so ugly it’s cute.

Trevor

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heather Kay said:

Only if they’re not vac-form. 

But Heather, if they not are vac form, Ced doesn't get to use one of those Fritag dental forming suction tools that we all want. We so need more tools on this thread!

Terry

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

19 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Really ! ☹️ ... Near the back again, guess i will take a stool at the bar.  

Hey being at the back is not so bad, we're closer to the Refreshments.:drink:THis is going to be a fun build!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

Nice to see the logbook entries.  

I wonder if they used them for training on the basis that if you could fly a Whitley, you could fly anything.

John

Hi John I read Leonard Cheshire's book  a long time ago and if I remember correctly he said it was a nice aircraft to fly but slow. It could take a fair bit of punishment too. 

After one raid he came back with a big hole in the fusalarge. I thing one of the crew named Davy? was awarded a V.C. for his gallantry in shoving burning flares out of the plane. I believe he lost his sight. I guess the pic of the plane after its return is out there in tinterweb land

All the best

Steve

Edit:- he was flying whitley n"nuts" with 102 squadron

I got the award and name of the other crew member wrong

His name was Davidson 18years old he was burnt but didn't lose his sight he was killed later on the war lost in the channel. Images are on google as well as a description of what happened

Sorry for the errors memory not what it was lol

The book is called Cheshire V.C.

Steve

Edited by Stevejj
Wrong informatio
  • Like 4