Jolly Rogers F-4J

Blitz23

Can't help myself! I didn't plan to join with so much to clear off the bench at the moment but the allure is too much. The Phantom is by far my favourite jet besides my unhealthy obsession with the F-14.

Here's the kit I'll be building:

IMG_20190804_220922

IMG_20190804_220944

After a night wings are together, fuselage all cleaned up and cockpit areas primed ready for paint. Hoping for a nice easy OOB build!

Edited by Blitz23
Typo
  • Like 10

15 hours ago, Blitz23 said:

Can't help myself! I didn't plan to join with so much to clear off the bench at the moment but the allure is too much. The Phantom is by far my favourite jet besides my healthy obsession with the F-14.

Fixed it for ya.  ;)

A couple of my favorite birds as well.....which is why it's rather surprising that I haven't built one yet (soon to be remedied w/ completion of an RF-4E).

• Like 2

4 hours ago, helios16v said:

Fixed it for ya.  ;)

A couple of my favorite birds as well.....which is why it's rather surprising that I haven't built one yet (soon to be remedied w/ completion of an RF-4E).

Haha many thanks kind sir, very nice F-4E is probably my favourite mk of Phantom.

• Like 1

Finally something to show for my efforts, been getting the odd half hour or so in the evenings so progress hasn't been as rapid as I'd have liked but here we are;

IMG-20190811-WA0027

IMG-20190811-WA0029

IMG_20190812_005146

Held off on adding the ejector seat grab handles as one was snapped so have had to repair it. Next up is filling a few gaps, sanding joins and getting ready for paint 👍🏻

• Like 6

6 hours ago, FortyEighter said:

Your instrument panels look great - I'd struggle to paint them as well in 1/48 scale :thumbsup:

Thanks but I can't take the credit it's a decal out of the kit.

5 hours ago, FortyEighter said:

Are the side panels a decal too or painted?

All decals, although I pre painted it prior to the decals before I realised the kit provided them. I painted the panels and highlighted them with tamiya aluminium weathering powders to highlight the raised edges.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, exdraken said:

Nice choice and quick progress!

:thumbsup:

With JR you can never actually go wrong!

(What are they doing these days by the way? Any plans to switch to F-35s?)

After converting to Tomcats circa 1977, VF-84 was disestablished in 1995 (the U.S. Navy doesn't seem to care one bit about history & tradition when deciding which units get the axe during force reductions).  Fortunately the "Sluggers" of VF-103 successfully petitioned to take on the Jolly Rogers' traditions, which they have carried forward to the F/A-18F Super Hornet since 2004 as VFA-103.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, CT7567 said:

After converting to Tomcats circa 1977, VF-84 was disestablished in 1995 (the U.S. Navy doesn't seem to care one bit about history & tradition when deciding which units get the axe during force reductions).  Fortunately the "Sluggers" of VF-103 successfully petitioned to take on the Jolly Rogers' traditions, which they have carried forward to the F/A-18F Super Hornet since 2004 as VFA-103.

Thanks for the update, shame the JR's were disbanded.

Im back at work now this week so progress has slowed but I hope I can start painting end of this week.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Blitz23 said:

Thanks for the update, shame the JR's were disbanded.

Sorry if I wasn't clear before, technically "the" JRs still exist as VFA-103.  Although the previous Jolly Rogers, VF-84, are probably the best known today by virtue of their Phantoms and especially Tomcats, they aren't the originals either. The Jolly Rogers tradition has belonged to VF-17, VF-61, VF-84, and most recently VF- and later VFA-103.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1