Sally B/Memphis Belle decals Duxford aircraft

rob85

I really want to build the b-17G that currently lives in duxford dressed as a b-17F Sally B/Memphis Belle. Does anybody know about a decal set for this aircraft? I’ve found a few sets that have both Belle and Sally on in their war time forms which is an option, but was just wondering if there was something more accurate? 

I’d be using the airfix kit, so would also need to remover the cheek Guns as she doesn’t have them (see below).

i got to see her during maintenance work on my last visit to the museum, and thought she looks great and would like to build her!

iChdf7Q.jpg

tJGnDE1.jpg

wNeDzns.jpg

9GWcLJT.jpg

a5Msdgf.jpg

arGdp9A.jpg

ucdR0mC.jpg

IYTqSWH.jpg

WOEwXyK.jpg

cheers in advance!

Rob

Edited by rob85
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, MarkH206 said:

Cheers, yes that one! Should have really specified a scale, it’s the 1:72 airfix kit.

which is an issue as I’ve just realised it has the later tail, not the early tail like on sally B...

Rob

9 hours ago, rob85 said:

Cheers, yes that one! Should have really specified a scale, it’s the 1:72 airfix kit.

which is an issue as I’ve just realised it has the later tail, not the early tail like on sally B...

Rob

This might help with that: https://www.shapeways.com/product/QBWQN9W29/1-72-b-17g-early-tail-gun-for-airfix

You might also want to check whether Sally B has staggered or the regular positioned waist positions -  I don't know off the top of my head. If it has the regular waist windows you will also need to reposition that to convert the Airfix B-17 to Sally B.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, elger said:

This might help with that: https://www.shapeways.com/product/QBWQN9W29/1-72-b-17g-early-tail-gun-for-airfix

You might also want to check whether Sally B has staggered or the regular positioned waist positions -  I don't know off the top of my head. If it has the regular waist windows you will also need to reposition that to convert the Airfix B-17 to Sally B.

Sally B is block 105 aircraft built at Lockheed-Vega, so staggered waist guns. 

Boeing-built: staggered during block 50

Douglas built: staggered during block 25

Lockheed Vega-built: staggered somewhere in the region of block 45 to block 50.

Sally B was built with a Cheyenne tail turret, but was converted to the earlier model tail turret for 'Memphis Belle' filming in 1989.  It was a fairly simple piece of work. They didn't change the waist gun positions - that would not have been so simple!

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Work In Progress said:

Sally B is block 105 aircraft built at Lockheed-Vega, so staggered waist guns. 

Boeing-built: staggered during block 50

Douglas built: staggered during block 25

Lockheed Vega-built: staggered somewhere in the region of block 45 to block 50.

Sally B was built with a Cheyenne tail turret, but was converted to the earlier model tail turret for 'Memphis Belle' filming in 1989.  It was a fairly simple piece of work. They didn't change the waist gun positions - that would not have been so simple!

that's good news for @rob85 - then I think all that's needed to build it using the Airfix kit is that earlier model tail, the Kits World decals, and a good look at those nose front windows. I would consider gluing the Airfix clear pieces in place and then polishing them completely smooth, and then mask the appropriate windows for Sally B and then paint the thing.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, elger said:

that's good news for @rob85 - then I think all that's needed to build it using the Airfix kit is that earlier model tail, the Kits World decals, and a good look at those nose front windows. I would consider gluing the Airfix clear pieces in place and then polishing them completely smooth, and then mask the appropriate windows for Sally B and then paint the thing.

My thought exactly on the windows, I have the micro mesh and some skill so shouldn’t be to bad right? 

Tail gun gun should be too hard to find a replacement.

Rob

• Like 1

Great Sally B photos- thanks for sharing them with us. They sure do keep her up nicely, and that can't be cheap or easy. Wonder how many tins of Humbrol 66 and 176 they had to use for her last re-paint? 😜 Looks a lot like one of @tonyot's hairy stick models to me!

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
added text
  • Haha 1