1:72 Gloster Javelin Jambalaya

I've started scribing the model. I almost said re-scribing, like you see in most articles, but since this is the first time, it's only scribing.    :)

Now, as I mentioned above, I hate scribing. As Weird Al once said, I'd rather dive into a pool filled with double-edged razor blades. But I read somewhere that you aren't a "real" modeller unless you scratch these lines in the plastic, and once you've made them, you have to fill them with a black wash to represent the tar that was apparently used to seal the panels on the actual aircraft. (Sarcasm, mates, sarcasm.)

I grabbed the vertical fin, and sanded off all of the raised detail, so that it looked like this:

IMG_4447

To be completely accurate in 1:72 scale, I should leave it just like this! But, no, I want to be a real modeller when I grow up so I got out the scribing things. I have the Tamiya one plus a couple from UMM. I tend to use the Tamiya one for straight lines, and the UMM dental pick-like one with the access panel templates. I use the Dymo tape as a guide. and to start I push the Tamiya scriber instead of pulling it. That helps guide it when you pull it back. I try not to pull the scriber more than a couple of times along the tape. Then, some fine sanding to remove any ridges that form, and then an old toothbrush to clean out the scribed lines. For the access panels, I use photoetch templates and the UMM single point scriber, always keeping the point perpendicular to the surface. Several members of the BM community have helped me learn these techniques. So here's the other side of the fin, with some lines and a coat of primer:

IMG_4448

It looks better in real life, as all the models tend to do.    :)

Purists, please close your ears now. (Or is it eyes?) I will be making NO attempt to replicate with 100% accuracy the panel lines on a 1:72 T.3. I will basically follow those already on the kit (although I deviated a bit on the fin), because that's good enough for me. Sorry to disappoint.

I dread scribing the fuselage, but...

Cheers,

Bill (who won't use a black wash in the panel lines either...)

• Like 16

9 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

(currently half way through scribing a Monogram OA-4M and F-100. Must be mad)

Mad indeed. So am I, especially since I plan on doing this again for the FAW.9.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

It looks good, though. Even proper, I dare say.

:rofl:  :winkgrin: 

14 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Tamiya extra thin run into the lines helps melt any residual plastic dust the toothbrush might miss Bill....

I do that too, works a treat :thumbsup: 

Ciao

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

I will be making NO attempt to replicate with 100% accuracy the panel lines on a 1:72 T.3. I will basically follow those already on the kit (although I deviated a bit on the fin), because that's good enough for me.

WHAAAA......??!? 

This guy's a loose cannon!! 

I think he's outta control. 

Reckless In the First Degree.....! 😮

• Haha 6

11 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

It looks better in real life, as all the models tend to do.    :)

Maybe so, but it’s pretty blooming photogenic as well, Bill.....looks flawless.

11 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Bill (who won't use a black wash in the panel lines either...)

The lawyer pedant in me says there’s wriggle room in that statement for a panel line wash that’s not black.....:)

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

To be completely accurate in 1:72 scale, I should leave it just like this!

I'm very much in agreement with you Bill. I tried to rescribe scribe a 1/72 Airfix Buccaneer and failed miserably. Filled in my efforts, no scribing and looked better for it in my eyes but 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder'.

Stuart

• Like 2

19 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

This guy's a loose cannon!!

I think he's outta control. 

Reckless In the First Degree.....! 😮

Are you my wife in disguise?    :)

Seriously (yes I can be serious), I recently figured out how long it will take me, at my current rate, of finishing everything in the stash. I think I'd be 154 years old or something. So, the only way out is to increase the number of kits I build in a year, right? One thing that will help is not scribing two Javelins with 100% accuracy. 50% accuracy can be done in half the time. I think. In a linear world...

12 hours ago, Fritag said:

The lawyer pedant in me says there’s wriggle room in that statement for a panel line wash that’s not black.....:)

I'm busted!    :)

12 hours ago, Courageous said:

I'm very much in agreement with you Bill. I tried to rescribe scribe a 1/72 Airfix Buccaneer and failed miserably. Filled in my efforts, no scribing and looked better for it in my eyes but 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder'.

You and I may be the only two who think that way! I've also given up on all that "realistic" weathering seen nowadays. I guess I'm just another old fogey.

Speaking of scribing, all raised lines have been removed from the fuselage, with the exception of the outer wings. For cripe's sake, the raised lines go between the vortex generators. I'm trying to figure out how I can get in there to sand them off. A file that's only 0.25mm wide perhaps? I bet @CedB has one.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

34 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

You and I may be the only two who think that way! I've also given up on all that "realistic" weathering seen nowadays. I guess I'm just another old fogey.

Well I must be an old fogey too. These days I prefer kits that are "scribed" rather than what we grew up with, only there is a fine line .... too deep is naff, but some of the latest are just right. Doing it myself is another thing. I've done a little (ailerons and and re-instating an existing line, but I still find the whole prospect daunting. I so admire those that can completely re-scribe a model.

In the end though, if it looks good to the eye of the holder, then it is good.

Terry

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

A good friend of mine has just taken some vertical drone shots of the Javelin at Flixton, really looks different from above.

See if he will let you post a few here, I'd love to see them.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

On 9/2/2019 at 9:27 PM, Navy Bird said:

Cheers,

Bill

real great scribing !! Hard to believe that it's the first time you did it !!

In talking of madness !! 2 Monogram Devastators, a Monogram Skyraider, A monogram F-84 And so on !!

I may be have an ancestor who was an egyptian scribe ??

Congrats Bill very neat work !!

CC

4 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

real great scribing !! Hard to believe that it's the first time you did it !!

In talking of madness !! 2 Monogram Devastators, a Monogram Skyraider, A monogram F-84 And so on !!

I may be have an ancestor who was an egyptian scribe ??

Congrats Bill very neat work !!

CC

Not my first time.   :(   Yikes, that's a lot of Monograms. I think I built all those kits at one time or another. An Egyptian scribe, eh? That's good, he didn't have to work lugging all those big blocks of stone around. Just sit on a cushion and put some lines in a Monogram 1:48 chariot. 

I'm starting to recall all the reasons why I hate scribing. I've just done my first line on the port wing, and the top surface of the plastic near the line starting flaking off in small, almost transparent pieces. Remember the way mica came apart in your mineralogy class? No? You didn't take mineralogy? Why not? If you had, you might be able to understand what I'm talking about! So far, these little flakes are incredibly thin, and a little sanding seems to clean it up. But it's yet another pain and I have enough of those already.

Cheers,

Bill

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

Not my first time.   :(   Yikes, that's a lot of Monograms. I think I built all those kits at one time or another. An Egyptian scribe, eh? That's good, he didn't have to work lugging all those big blocks of stone around. Just sit on a cushion and put some lines in a Monogram 1:48 chariot. 

I'm starting to recall all the reasons why I hate scribing. I've just done my first line on the port wing, and the top surface of the plastic near the line starting flaking off in small, almost transparent pieces. Remember the way mica came apart in your mineralogy class? No? You didn't take mineralogy? Why not? If you had, you might be able to understand what I'm talking about! So far, these little flakes are incredibly thin, and a little sanding seems to clean it up. But it's yet another pain and I have enough of those already.

Cheers,

Bill

I have a lot of strange stones that I bring back from Katanga...

And I understand what you're talking about !

Then these flakes of Mica were cutting, very sharp !!

Just guess how I know it ??

CC

15 hours ago, Fritag said:

Indeed !! A dark gray panel wash is relevant in this case !!

On the other hand, social justice is another matter !! Case closed !! :rofl2:

CC

22 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

See if he will let you post a few here, I'd love to see them.

Cheers,

Bill

Just the one, but here you go, it shows the panel lines and details quite nicely,

48679066023_b7cf59d6be_b.jpgGloster Javelin FAW.9 XH892 Flixton by James Thomas, on Flickr

Picture used by kind consent of Richard Flagg.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

On 9/3/2019 at 11:26 PM, Navy Bird said:

I've just done my first line on the port wing, and the top surface of the plastic near the line starting flaking off in small, almost transparent pieces. 

Cheers,

Bill

Oh, I remember now, mine did the same when I was scribing it!!

50% accurate scribing on a 1/72 Javelin is 100% torture but it's worth the effort. I think I just scraped the raised lines between the vortex generators off with a scalpel blade and used 'best endeavours' when scribing between them.

Duncan B

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Duncan B said:

Oh, I remember now, mine did the same when I was scribing it!!

50% accurate scribing on a 1/72 Javelin is 100% torture but it's worth the effort. I think I just scraped the raised lines between the vortex generators off with a scalpel blade and used 'best endeavours' when scribing between them.

Thanks, Duncan. The scribing is progressing, but slowly. I have the top of the port wing finished, and now I'm starting the starboard. Those parallelogram shaped access panels are crazy. I have no template for them, but somehow the first three look OK. I may make a template for those on the bottom (all 18 of them!). Although they're not all the same size.   :(

I screwed up the first attempts at the wing tip. Luckily, I have the spare T.3 kit. Don't be surprised when one of the wingtips is in silver plastic, instead of grey.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 4

May be a bit early in the proceedings to bring this up, but what do you make of the Tailplane arrangements? 

I see an all-moving pair of blades on a fixed centre section, but also the normal elevators fitted. 

The drone photo just reminded me. 

I took a saw to mine. 

Wondering if you'd given it any thought. 

Other than that, Scribe on, Macduff!! 

4 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Wondering if you'd given it any thought.

Not a lot of thought, no. I may cut out the all-moving sections so I can pose them a bit. I probably won't cut out the elevators, or over-sized trim tabs, or whatever they're called.

Macduff

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

I see an all-moving pair of blades on a fixed centre section, but also the normal elevators fitted.

Looking at this pic

https://images.app.goo.gl/tkx6b8x8wTTCgGf7A

I'd say the same but phrase it a little differently. The horizontal stabilizer is trimmable. Ie It can be moved to alter its position to maintain a set speed. Some aircraft have trim tabs on the elevators to reduce control loads (they hold the elevators in a set position against the airflow), some have the entire horizontal stabilizer trimmable as appears to be the case here (they adjust the angle of attack of the tail surfaces, and the elevators stay neutral). The latter is more usual on high speed aircraft. The elevators are standard elevators and operate in the usual way.

Ian

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The later marks of Javelin had an all-moving tailplane (bar the fixed centre section atop the fin); the elevators acted in much the same way as those of TSR 2 (with undercarriage lowered) where a pitch up demand produced a leading edge down movement of the tailplane and a trailing edge up movement of the elevators.  Please remember that lineypilot’s image depicts a dead aeroplane in a museum on which some of the control linkages may have frozen or been disconnected.  The normal “at rest” position of the tailplane on a Javelin is leading edge up with elevator trailing edge down.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

The tailplane on all marks of Javelin was movable.

All Mk1's and a few early Mk2's the tailplane was trimmable and operated by an electric trim switch.

Operation was independant of the elevators, which were actuated hydraulically via the control column.

All subsequent marks had an "all flying" tailplane that was operated hydraulically in conjunction with the elevators.

Photo's of Javelins at rest usually show the tailplane nose up with the elevators deflected down.

A heads up on the sliding canopies, neither the pilots nor the nav (instructors) canopies had ametal frame on the front and rear edges, they're strengthened with an extra thickness of perspex which appears white) as per the rear of a Hunter canopy - you may know this already, but i'ts something i've just noticed whilst checking photo's.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2