1:72 Gloster Javelin Jambalaya

Love the look of the PE airbrakes. That really makes a difference. 

I can't believe the state of the sprues though. 

I've got an original Frog kit and it's pristine, in comparison to what you have. 

Wear and tear on the tooling is one thing, but that just looks slack. 

Never mind, some people make things out of flash...... And you got loads! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

I've got an original Frog kit and it's pristine, in comparison to what you have. 

Wear and tear on the tooling is one thing, but that just looks slack. 

I always recommend buying the Frog originals over any of the Novo etc repops, they are so much better in molding crispness and plastic quality  - sometimes hard to belive they are the same kits.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

...... And you got loads! 

Wifey often says I have loads, but I don't think she's talking about flash...    :)

10 hours ago, 71chally said:

I always recommend buying the Frog originals over any of the Novo etc repops, they are so much better in molding crispness and plastic quality  - sometimes hard to belive they are the same kits.

I hear you. I looked for a Frog original but couldn't find one, so I settled for Novo. I didn't want to wait too long, in the event my current case of Javelin fever subsides. I shall beat it into shape one way or another.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 6

Have to take another short break from the bench - my daughter broke her ankle and can't get around, so babysitting the grandkids just went to a full-time job. She should be up on her feet soon. She was playing with the kids in her back yard when she stepped in a rabbit hole that no one knew was there. Pesky critters.

Cheers,

Bill

• Sad 10

13 minutes ago, Hamden said:

Hope your daughter recovers quickly

Me too - I babysit enough already!    :)  Seriously, the break wasn't too bad, and no pins were required. As long as she stays off of it she should heal quickly. I just went a picked up a knee scooter for her. Never knew there was such a thing.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2

3 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I thinking they're something newish, I've seen them popping up around here in the last year +/-, they're a menace in the mall. :) 

Steve.

Wait till you get (if you haven’t already) those really annoying electric scooters for hire that the morons who use just leave all over pavement when they’ve finished with them.

AW

• Like 1

They're in the big smokes, ie Auckland, & Christchurch, not & maybe Wellinton & Hamilton, but thankfully they have made it to sleepy hollowsville yet.  A lot of the initial reactions to them have been less than positive. :( 

Steve

Lots of fun and educating to read about the Javelin in this thread. Following with interest. But I think I staye away in an secure distance from the Javelin... ;)

By the way, got the same problems in Sweden to. Those electric scooters are left all over the city...

Cheers / André

Edited by Andre B
  • Like 1

Thanks everyone. My daughter Tracy is doing well, and raising havoc with the knee scooter (indoors!). Although 3-year old Carter decided to take it for a ride, and almost went backwards down the stairs - yikes! Caught him just in time...    :doh:

Back to Javelins - I just had a small thought. These air brake wells that I'm building - are the tops of the portions that match up with the holes in the air brake painted in the camo colour? You know, so the camo is not disturbed when the brakes are closed?

I have all four air brake wells finished up and right now I'm sanding down the thickness of the wings a bit more. Which reminds me, the Javelin does not have a sharp trailing edge to the wing, correct? If I recall, it's actually quite blunt. Except for the outer control surfaces methinks. Someone set me straight before I make another colossal mess.

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Remind me not to open the air brake bays on the Frog FAW.9.    :)

PPS. A new set of scribing templates and tools are on their way from UMM. Both kits have to be completely scribed, unless I want to make believe I'm 12 years old again. Believe it or not, way back when I used to use stretched sprue to try and reconstruct a raised panel line that had been sanded away. Arghh....

• Like 7

On 17/08/2019 at 14:32, dushix said:

Good work!
https://yadi.sk/d/lkfTZVZ_3PU4Vv

its my library about Javelin.

I hope to be useful

Great stuff, thanks for sharing the link. The reference material will help considerably.

Where are we? Well, the air brake openings are finished on the fuselage halves. This photo looks like a mating ritual though.

IMG_4210

Once the wells are fully cured (I used Gator Grip to place the small 1 mm x 4 mm strips so I could maneuver them before they dried), they'll be added to the fuselage halves, and then I can work on the intake trunks and getting the cockpit installed.

Over in Frog-land (flies right off the ground!) I've decided to sacrifice its built-in cockpit, and replace it will a spare from my other Airfix kit. This means I'll have to get out the Dremel tool and make a lot of dental drilling noises. Eeek!

IMG_4212

I don't know how well this photo shows it, but the diameter of the sprue runner is larger in some places than its attachment point, which will make for some interesting sanding to maintain the airfoil shape. It's not an issue - it's an opportunity! No, stop with that business jargon malarkey and put the MBA away. It's just plastic!

IMG_4211

Now, where is that Dremel? I'm sure I'll find it in the last place I left it....

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 15

Bill, I hope your daughter recovers soon, so your grandparental activities will return back to normal :)

Looks like you could use all the time you have for this project 🍿 More plastic surgery :Tasty:

Ciao

2 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Which reminds me, the Javelin does not have a sharp trailing edge to the wing, correct? If I recall, it's actually quite blunt. Except for the outer control surfaces methinks.

Other way around, the ailerons have a thick trailing edge.  The fixed trailing edge was pretty standard thickness.

And yes, the upper fixed parts of the airbrakes are painted in the camo colour, unsure about the bays but would guess it was all sprayed together with the upper wing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, giemme said:

Looks like you could use all the time you have for this project 🍿 More plastic surgery :Tasty:.

Plastic surgery is the name of my game. A little grinding here, some sanding there, and all of a sudden the Frog fuselage has a hole in it. Which, surprisingly (or maybe not), is the exact same width and length as that on the Airfix kit.

IMG_4214

The Airfix cockpit looks like it will work out just fine. Not sure about that Frog coaming, though.

IMG_4213

50 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Other way around, the ailerons have a thick trailing edge.  The fixed trailing edge was pretty standard thickness.

And yes, the upper fixed parts of the airbrakes are painted in the camo colour, unsure about the bays but would guess it was all sprayed together with the upper wing.

As always, I got it backwards. There is a name for that condition isn't there? Swapslexia or something?    :)   I'll look for some photos of the air brake well that show the painting. If anyone has any, please post. Thanks!

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 10
  • Haha 2

My HPM Rear End sets arrived today. I managed to get a few photos of the parts just before my phone died (still not been able to get it running again). I have placed the parts over the only scale planes I have which are from the Warpaints book. The parts are nicely moulded but there are some marks on either side of the fuselage plug that will need to be cleaned up. The exhaust nozzles are quite exquisite and all the parts look to be very close to the scale drawings.

IMG_5854-X2.jpg

IMG_5853-X2.jpg

IMG_5852-X2.jpg

Here is the Airfix FAW9 parts laid on top of the same drawing to give you an idea of the difference and the margin of error of the original kit parts.

jav5_zps43c5a074-XL.jpg

Duncan B

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

Hello Bill,

follow the instruction James gave: the trailing edge is thin but aileron trailing edge is thick (to increase roll rate). Here is a good picture:

spacer.png

Pay close attention to the aileron tip as it is faceted. The photo shows a FAW.9 of No 60 Squadron. Note also the partly open air brake.

spacer.png

The faceted surface outlined in red. It is symmetrical on both top and bottom sides. The right hand photo shows the aileron from behind.

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Hello Duncan & Co.,

those new re-heaters and rear fuselage look very nice. Thank you for the photo.

Two details caught my eye:

- The drawing is correct: re-heaters point toward aircraft center line, they are not parallel

- those little air scoops on top and bottom of the re-heaters both point to the rear; only the upper one should point backwards

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

@Duncan B, can you tell me the diameter of the burner nozzles? It's too bad HPM didn't cast the angle of the exhausts into the fuselage plug.

Cheers,

Bill

12mm outside diameter (not including scoops).

Duncan B