Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Navy Bird

1:72 Gloster Javelin Jambalaya

Recommended Posts

53 minutes ago, Procopius said:

A book? Can you tell us more?

 

Book? What book?    :(

 

43 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

If only they were still using Constellations on the Atlantic route, eh? 

 

Oohh...Connies! That would be nice. 787 on the way home - does that count?

 

Cheers,

Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

 I had to finish two chapters I am contributing to an upcoming scale modelling book. 

This book!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Procopius said:

This book!

 

I was trying to paraphrase Igor (Hump? What Hump?).   :)

 

It was my way of trying to say I can't talk about the book yet without actually saying I can't talk about the book yet. Sorry.

 

Cheers,

Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Arghh.

 

There are times, and then there are times. Apparently, my age has reached a point where  brain befuddleness is coming to the fore. Last night, I put a beautiful finish of Dark Sea Grey over the Javelin T.3. This morning, I had a look and thought that it looked a bit too dark. Hmm. Having a look at the bottle used in said painting, I realised that I did not see the word "Extra" in front of "Dark Sea Grey." Ha! I told you my name was Navy Bird.    :)

 

Cheers,

Bill

 

PS. Ever imagine a Javelin on a carrier?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you might have been a bit heavy with the pre shading Bill.

 

Not an age thing just a bit over enthusiastic ………………………………..

 

Dick

 

 

PS

Does the Javelin have folding wings on the carrier?? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

Ever imagine a Javelin on a carrier?

I'm closing my eyes and trying .......... trying ......... er it doesn't feel good!

 

Terry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

PS. Ever imagine a Javelin on a carrier?

Having seen one up close recently, I'd say no - scary thought! :frantic:

 

Ciao

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Navy Bird said:

Arghh.

 

There are times, and then there are times. Apparently, my age has reached a point where  brain befuddleness is coming to the fore. Last night, I put a beautiful finish of Dark Sea Grey over the Javelin T.3. This morning, I had a look and thought that it looked a bit too dark. Hmm. Having a look at the bottle used in said painting, I realised that I did not see the word "Extra" in front of "Dark Sea Grey." Ha! I told you my name was Navy Bird.    :)

 

Cheers,

Bill

 

PS. Ever imagine a Javelin on a carrier?

Next thing you know you'll be painting the underneath white and putting a winged fist decal on the tail...

FLY NAVY!

Nick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Nickthebrief said:

Next thing you know you'll be painting the underneath white and putting a winged fist decal on the tail...

FLY NAVY!

Nick.

 

Do we have a problem with that ???

 

I'm still visualising the folding wings...…………………...

 

Dick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

brain befuddleness is coming to the fore.

It comes to us all, some sooner than later :rofl:.

Nice to see you at Telford and hope you had a good tour with that @CedB character.

 

Stuart

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, jenko said:

I think you might have been a bit heavy with the pre shading Bill.

 

Maybe I've invented a new Modelling Technique of the Month - EDSG Basing. Kind of like Black Basing, just a bit lighter.    :doh:

 

19 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

I'm closing my eyes and trying .......... trying ......... er it doesn't feel good!

 

Just imagine it poised with its nose 20 feet in the air - like an F7U Cutlass, perhaps.   

 

19 hours ago, giemme said:

Having seen one up close recently, I'd say no - scary thought! :frantic:

 

Surely there have been scarier stuff on a carrier deck. Like a B-25.

 

19 hours ago, Nickthebrief said:

Next thing you know you'll be painting the underneath white and putting a winged fist decal on the tail...

 

Ooh, I happen to have some stickers for that scheme.   :mental:

 

18 hours ago, jenko said:

Do we have a problem with that ???

I'm still visualising the folding wings...…………………...

 

Airfix anticipated the legion of what-iffers out there, and conveniently split the wings right where they should fold. Nice touch!

 

6 hours ago, OutcastJoel said:

Darnit, i now want to pick up an old novo kit and do it in FAA colours.

 

Do it! Just watch out for the flash (see earlier in this thread).

 

8 hours ago, Courageous said:

It comes to us all, some sooner than later :rofl:.

Nice to see you at Telford and hope you had a good tour with that @CedB character.

 

Ced was the best! Who else could have introduced me to the Amateur Transplants? Although I have to admit I'm a bit jealous of Ced's studio. I guess I'll have to start buying more tools and widgets in order to keep up. Ced spent a lot of time looking at websites for 3D Printers - when will he click the order button?    :)

 

Cheers,

Bill

 

PS. I still can't believe I sat there and painted the entire model with the wrong colour. I wonder if I had my eyes closed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

Surely there have been scarier stuff on a carrier deck. Like a B-25.

Good point. Still scary, though :D 

 

14 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

PS. I still can't believe I sat there and painted the entire model with the wrong colour. I wonder if I had my eyes closed.

Get over it - as you say, just call it dark Grey Basing :D  :D  It might turn out better than you intended ... :whistle:  :coat: 

 

Ciao

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

 

Airfix anticipated the legion of what-iffers out there, and conveniently split the wings right where they should fold. Nice touch!

 

I dare you :wicked:.....  You know you want to...………………………………. :thumbsup:

 

 

And we want to see it :yahoo:

 

 

Dick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, jenko said:

I dare you :wicked:.....  You know you want to...………………………………. :thumbsup:

And we want to see it :yahoo:

 

Hmm...I've never built a what-if in my life. Maybe after I've worked my way through my stash, I can build the ZTS-Plastyk or Novo kit as an FAA Sea Javelin with folded wings. Maybe overall Oxford Blue like that fancy Sea Harrier FA.2. Or possibly in Red Bull livery from the air show circuit in 2003. The possibilities are endless.

 

Cheers,

Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

Hmm...I've never built a what-if in my life. 

Ooh! You don’t know what you’re missing.

At the moment, I’m doing an alt-Nimrod using the Airfix Vickers Vanguard with a scale 10’ chopped off the front and an open bomb bay. 
 

It’s very liberating. If I want to add a lump or bump in a certain place, then as long as the internal logic works, then that’s what happens.

 

A RAN Sea Javelin FAW.21, with folding wings and nose cone, done as an Admiral’s Barge is certainly doable.

 

I look forward to your build.

 

No pressure...........:wicked:

 

Trevor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fancy starting a petition  Trevor???   Or will black mail work??

 

Dick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jenko said:

Fancy starting a petition  Trevor???   Or will black mail work??

 

Dick

The smallest of raindrops can crack the largest rock over time.....

 

Just think, an extended nose oleo, drooped leading edge flaps, folded wings, Martel missiles.........

 

Bill would smash it out of the park.

 

Just saying 

 

Trevor :devil:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm with you all the way old chap.

 

Dick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Max Headroom said:

Just think, an extended nose oleo, drooped leading edge flaps, folded wings, Martel missiles.........

 

Stop it! You're killing me!   :fight:

 

Cheers,

Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Navy Bird said:

 

Stop it! You're killing me!   :fight:

 

Cheers,

Bill

Of course if I were you, a stepped tandem cockpit for increased visibility would be sensible. (Sensible!)

 

A retractable IFR probe to cope with the confines of the lower decks of the carrier would also fit with the ‘logic’ of a Sea Javelin.

 

I’d imagine that a pair of Speys would be necessary too.

 

Trevor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

I’d imagine that a pair of Speys would be necessary too.

 

And an arrestor hook might occasionally come in handy too.... :)

 

Keith

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, keefr22 said:

 

And an arrestor hook might occasionally come in handy too.... :)

 

Keith

I forgot to mention that it’s STOVL :rolleyes:

 

Trevor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Although I have to admit I'm a bit jealous of Ced's studio. I guess I'll have to start buying more tools and widgets in order to keep up.

Bill you know I only buy tools to compensate for my lack of skill - if you buy more I’ll never catch up! :D 
 

I hope you’re recovering from the trip - I’m still tired!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...