1:72 Gloster Javelin Jambalaya

5 hours ago, rossm said:

All my Javelin ones are now on my website so use the addresses...

Thanks, Ross. Some nice photos in there that will help me out later in the build.  

So who is the dude that thought it was a good idea to have 18 angled parallelogram shaped access panels on the bottom of the wings? And who was the numbskull who thought it would be a good idea to scribe this model? Oh, wait that last one was me. Argh...

It's coming along, though. I promise you it will look nicer than the raised lines. Not that it will look good, but nicer than the other.

A funny thing happened today. Remember those exhaust tubes I added to the inside of the tailcone? One of them broke free somehow, and the only access I had to get it back was through the thin slot on top of the fuselage - the one for the tail fin. Somehow I manged to get it back in place and pressed onto the tapered kit exhausts, and then I flooded the area with superglue with a tiny nozzle through the slot. So far so good!

Onward...

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 10

7 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

One of them broke free somehow, and the only access I had to get it back was through the thin slot on top of the fuselage…

That's a funny thing? Sounds like an Anglo-Saxon moment to me…

Have you considered a career in Endoscopy Bill - you're obviously a natural :D 

May the scribing gods be good to you…

• Haha 5

12 hours ago, CedB said:

That's a funny thing? Sounds like an Anglo-Saxon moment to me…

Have you considered a career in Endoscopy Bill - you're obviously a natural :D 

May the scribing gods be good to you…

Anglo-Saxon? Does that mean your name is actually Cerdic, not Cedric?    :)    (Apologies to Sir Walter Scott)

Endoscopy, eh? As a matter of fact I have to go for an ERCP test in a couple of weeks. Apparently, my biliary ducts are acting up. Getting old is not for sissies. As far as the scribing gods are concerned, apparently my sacrifice of FROG styrene flash wrapped in stretched sprue has met with their favour. Even though I didn't offer a libation and pour the wine on the ground. I drank it instead.

10 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Sounds like a bit of a bum job to me!

Another endoscopy joke! Yikes, you Brits...I don't know.    :)

9 hours ago, tony007 said:

Lovely work on the Javelin, will be following this build😀

Welcome aboard! I'll try not to cock it up completely.  

9 hours ago, giemme said:

Good thing you were able to fix the wandering exhaust tube, Bill :thumbsup2:

Happy scribing :thumbsup:

(Is that something we're actually allowed to say?  :rofl:)

Well, I can't say I'm happy when I'm scribing, but I bet I'll be happy when I'm finished! And those exhaust tubes won't move now, I poured a lot of super glue in there. Since the slot was so thin, I had to maneuver the tube into place and press it onto the kit exhaust using a tiny hex wrench. I was quite chuffed when I got it in position, but after I glued it I noticed the rotational alignment was off compared to its neighbour. Oh well.

Scribing is just about finished. I have a few more access panels to do on the side of the forward fuselage, plus the outer wing panels. She looks OK, I guess, but I'm really anxious to get some primer on to see what she really looks like. I puttied up all the goofs I could find, but I bet there's more.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Does that mean your name is actually Cerdic, not Cedric?    :)    (Apologies to Sir Walter Scott)

Ah, now then… you're right that the Anglo-Saxon king was called Cerdic and that Sir Walter got it wrong in 'Ivanhoe', the first time that 'Cedric' was seen.

Apparently 'Ivanhoe' was my Dad's favourite book and Cedric was his favourite character, hence him registering my birth with my given name (without telling Mum, allegedly).

I often wish, like Johnny Cash, that he'd had a different favourite book but hey, could have been worse… could have been 'Noddy'. :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Woo hoo! My big Spitfire won Gold in category, Overall Best Aircraft and Best of Show at the model contest today. My FAA collection (Harrier FRS.1, Buccaneer S.2, Gannet, Sea Venom, Scimitar) won Best of the Masters (what? I'm not Dutch and I don't smoke cigars). My Sea Fury and Canberra PR.9 won Gold in Category. And, most importantly, after we put the hall back in order for their Bingo games tonight, the manager gave us all free beer.   :)  :)  :)

Plus, I sold 23 kits from my stash, and only bought 3! That's what I call progress.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 20

1 hour ago, Navy Bird said:

Woo hoo! My big Spitfire won Gold in category, Overall Best Aircraft and Best of Show at the model contest today. My FAA collection (Harrier FRS.1, Buccaneer S.2, Gannet, Sea Venom, Scimitar) won Best of the Masters (what? I'm not Dutch and I don't smoke cigars). My Sea Fury and Canberra PR.9 won Gold in Category. And, most importantly, after we put the hall back in order for their Bingo games tonight, the manager gave us all free beer.   :)  :)  :)

Plus, I sold 23 kits from my stash, and only bought 3! That's what I call progress.

Cheers,

Bill

Show-off. Last time that I put a kit on a competition table, everyone laughed. And not because it was a humorous diorama.

Seriously though, well done that man! If we ever meet, I may ask to touch the hem of your robe.

I think that you may be telling porkies about only buying 3 kits. 3? No-one only buys 3.

• Haha 4

Congrats, Uncle Master Bill :clap:  :clap::D 

See, around here they call you Master when you get old ... just saying .... :D 

7 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

and only bought 3!

Like Rob G, I find that hard to believe too :rofl:  :goodjob:

Ciao

• Like 1

On 9/14/2019 at 3:31 AM, Navy Bird said:

A funny thing happened today. Remember those exhaust tubes I added to the inside of the tailcone? One of them broke free somehow, and the only access I had to get it back was through the thin slot on top of the fuselage - the one for the tail fin. Somehow I manged to get it back in place and pressed onto the tapered kit exhausts, and then I flooded the area with superglue with a tiny nozzle through the slot. So far so good!

Onward...

Cheers,

Bill

Bill,

it is time to nominate You as a Knight of the Javelin Order.

I read a study (from the late 1960s perhaps) about "Health & Safety" issues in the RAF. The paper explained one particular procedure where two ground crew members were to replace thermal couples (or something like that) of a Javelin FAW.9's jet pipes. The only access was via a very small hatch on top of the rear fuselage; approximately in-line with fin flash. However the components to be replaced were beneath the jet pipes. So one man held the other from his ankles while he entered the rear fuselage; head first! And the only way out was to trust your colleague to have a "positive" grip.

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

Yes, many congrats on those awards Bill, well deserved of course.........

11 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

the manager gave us all free beer.

.........and that really tops of the day!

Great stuff.

Terry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

My big Spitfire won Gold in category, Overall Best Aircraft and Best of Show .......My FAA collection (Harrier FRS.1, Buccaneer S.2, Gannet, Sea Venom, Scimitar) won Best of the Masters....... My Sea Fury and Canberra PR.9 won Gold in Category.....

Bill, that just doesn't come as any great surprise; surpassing excellence comes as standard in a Navy Bird build :clap2:

All thoroughly well deserved; but don't let the Best of Show seduce you into too much 1/32 scale; keep the faith.......:D

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

13 hours ago, Rob G said:

I think that you may be telling porkies about only buying 3 kits. 3? No-one only buys 3.

6 hours ago, giemme said:

Like Rob G, I find that hard to believe too

True fact, I only bought three - Emhar F-94C (what? why?), LS Dinah (only for the decal sheet, I already have the kit), and Hasegawa Ki-44 Tojo (only $3!) all in the gentleman's scale. Now I'm told by a friend in the legal profession, in a US court of law a "true fact" is given more weight than just a "fact." This always upset my schoolboy logic, but whatever. I therefore always use "true fact" when I want to stress that something really is, honest to gosh, true. Trust me.

6 hours ago, CedB said:

Well done Bill! Well deserved :) 

Perhaps. Bribing the head judge might have helped, too.    :)

6 hours ago, Antti_K said:

So one man held the other from his ankles while he entered the rear fuselage; head first! And the only way out was to trust your colleague to have a "positive" grip.

Yikes! That poor fellow truly deserves to be a Knight of the Javelin Order. If I see him, I will make sure he gets some free beer.   :)

2 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

<free beer>.........and that really tops of the day!

Indeed. Since the show was held in a "Royal Order of the Moose" lodge (do you have such oddities in the UK?), and it being Sunday afternoon (NFL), the available beer on tap was something like Corona Light which, although it actually is beer (at least in the academic sense), was somehow less satisfying than a pint of bitter at The Case Is Altered in Pinner. But it was free.

1 hour ago, Fritag said:

All thoroughly well deserved; but don't let the Best of Show seduce you into too much 1/32 scale; keep the faith.......:D

Oh, don't worry. That big Spitfire took nearly three years to build. I'm getting a bit old for that kind of stuff. Only two 1:32 kits in my stash at present - the Matchbox Spitfire 22/24 (with several pounds of aftermarket resin to make it resemble, well, a Spitfire 22/24) and the Tamiya F-14A (which, oddly, is half engraved panel lines, and half raised). It will be a long while before I tackle either one.

Sounds like a broken record, but back to scribing...

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Hi mates,

I'm actually still building this model - and I've finally finished scribing the fuselage, wings, and vertical fin. (This ranks up there pretty high in my list of unsuspected accomplishments. I've led a sheltered life.) Whew! Do I have to do this again for the FAW.9? Aye Carumba!    :doh:

She don't look too purty right now, but here she be:

IMG_4456

IMG_4457

Still more work to do on the intake lips, but that shouldn't be too bad. You can see occasional bits of putty where La Scrib-i-nici went bonkers and added nice stylish flairs to the panel lines. After I sobered up, these were dutifully filled. I have to say, the mica-like basal cleavage of the plastic, in tiny sheets only a few atoms thick, was a right royal pain in the whatever. Hopefully the paint will cover it.

A much more major "stylish flair" necessitated an entirely new starboard wingtip. Under the sign of the Seven P's (Proper Prior Planning Prevents Pitifully Poor Performance) I was prescient (an eighth P!) to punctually procure (nine! ten!) a proper proxy (eleven! twelve!) piece (stop it!) which was put (no!!) in the parts (argh!!) box.

Next, I allowed myself to be swayed by all your lovely photos of the all-moving tailplane and separate elevator, and promptly hacked up my extra set, just in case I cocked it up completely then I would still have the original parts. Of course, these still need to be scribed.

IMG_4454

The elevators are next, and I think that I'll just cut them pretty much straight across rather than try to cut around the hinge areas. I think it will be easier to restore those than cut around them.

So that's my update. Oh, wait, some questions. Whereabouts is the pivot point for the tailplanes? I assume at its centre of gravity, so to speak, so it would be more towards the back of the fin. Also, the Print Scale decals for the T.3 state that the underside is Light Aircraft Grey. I would have thought silver or aluminum of some kind, but what do I know? Is LAG correct?

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 18

Hello Bill,

doesn't it feel good when the panel line scribing is almost complete? Your Javelin looks very nice and I'm eagerly awaiting for photos of the cockpits and of course the final paint work.

Look here for post no 29: there is a photo showing the correct hinge point for the elevators. It matches with the data published in Javelin maintenance training handbook.

Cheers,

Antti

Crikey Bill, I bet you're glad that's over!

Possibly perfect? Pending proper proximity pictures, perhaps promptly?

Gah, you've got me at it now! :D 

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, giemme said:

Even in this Frankenstein-like state, she's looking good, Bill :clap:

Frankenstein indeed. It seems I'm a glutton for punishment sometimes.

7 hours ago, Antti_K said:

doesn't it feel good when the panel line scribing is almost complete?

Look here for post no 29: there is a photo showing the correct hinge point for the elevators.

Great stuff, thanks. That's right about where I figured it would be. I see you have HSS on the underside of your FAW.9, which is what I always thought it was. I wonder why Print Scale say LAG? Maybe because HSS weathers to a light grey appearance sometimes?

6 hours ago, CedB said:

Crikey Bill, I bet you're glad that's over!

Possibly perfect? Pending proper proximity pictures, perhaps promptly?

I'm half glad. I still have the FAW.9 to build! Oh dear. I'm hoping to get some paint on this week, as I really won't know until then how good (or bad) the scribing is. Especially on the underside, with those 18 tilted parallelograms.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 4

Looks like this one is coming along fine. I have an old 1/72 Aeroclub Vampire that gets some attention every few months - it's all marked up for scribing at the moment ............ 😟  but I'm getting some good inspiration from you Bill.

Terry

• Like 1

Hi Bill!

Google-fu found a cutaway which may help you with the tailplane hingeline? It’s at Conceptbunny.com. I’d paste a link but stupid IOS 13 on my iPhone won’t let me :angry:

Coming along nicely btw

Trevor

Matchbox Spit 22/24 as modelled by you would look brilliant.

Just saying........

Update

https://conceptbunny.com/gloster-javelin/

ios 13.01 has restored sanity and the hyperlink is above.

• Like 2