1:72 Gloster Javelin Jambalaya

Nice work on the scribing, Bill! I'm sure you'll do a great job with the rest. I love that overhead shot of the Javelin - ye Gods what a massive beast of an aeroplane! Too bad there isn't an ant, I mean person standing next to it to give it some scale. I think Gloster put that horizontal tail on just to make the Javelin look even bigger, as they felt those huge wings weren't enough. To think this is the company that made the Gauntlet and the Gladiator, which the Javelin could probably have sucked into its intakes and belched out of the exhausts without even noticing. 'Er, Simon, did you hear something? There was slight blip in the engine RPMs.' 'Nothing 'ere, sir.'

Best Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
  • Haha 4

18 hours ago, AWFK10 said:

Unfortunately, the Frog/Novo fin is way too thin, and Plastyk copied it. See the 1st and 5th photos here. It wouldn't be so much of an issue if it wasn't moulded in one piece.

Truly. I measured the thickness of all the fins back in Post #120. Luckily, the Heller/Airfix fin is nice and chubby.   :)

Just so everyone understands, the Plastyk and Frog/Novo kits have been donated to my three-year old grandson. Good mules for him to learn on. The rest of this thread (which may take forever at this rate!) will be devoted to building the Heller T.3 and the Airfix FAW.9.

Back to scribing...I should be in a medieval monastery somewhere...I have finished the tops of each wing, other than the outer sections, and am now going to make some lines around the fuselage. Wish me luck, cross your fingers, say some prayers, maybe sacrifice a lamb remembering to wrap the thighs in fat so Zeus can enjoy the aroma - anything to help me!   :(

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

45 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

Back to scribing...I should be in a medieval monastery somewhere...I have finished the tops of each wing, other than the outer sections, and am now going to make some lines around the fuselage. Wish me luck, cross your fingers, say some prayers, maybe sacrifice a lamb remembering to wrap the thighs in fat so Zeus can enjoy the aroma - anything to help me!   :(

Cheers,

Bill

Hello Bill !!

I will do even better !!

Hard task but I will sacrify a quadruple trappe on your behalf !!

Good scribing my friend !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

See, you were making a fuss over nothing about the scribing Bill: it looks fine.

I still hate it nonetheless.    :tease:

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Thanks guys! The scribing is coming out OK, I've just had a couple of slips with the blade (no blood). It just takes so darn long.

PPS. In the past, I used the Dymo black tape - the kind used for their old fashioned embossing machines. By mistake, I ordered a spool of the tape used in their digital print label maker. Any who, it's a tad thinner than the black stuff, but MUCH more flexible, conforms to surfaces better, and more importantly sticks much better and it guides the scriber well. I cut each piece in two longitudinally to make it last twice as long. So mistakes can be good sometimes.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

Just to back up what Dave is saying, the tailplane started out as an all moving trimable surface with elevators on the FAW.1 & 2, to an all moving tailplane acting as elevator with trailing edge trim surfaces on subsequent marks.

He is also correct about the canopies, and this is something that is overlooked on the finest builds.  The canopies are all perspex, with perspex arches and fibreglass tape build up to form the front and trailing edge hoops, there is also a small aerodynamic flare of perspex aft of the rear hoop.  The middle fixed portion was metal framed though.

the Thunder & Lightnings walkaround show these features really well.

I think the T.3 was similar, except that it had a single fixed metal hoop where the front and rear canopies met in the closed position.

...not that we are trying to make more work for you Bill!

Lovely work on the scribing in and the airbrake wells look like they were part of the kit!

Also, I have just found this, I believe it was from an older Britmodeller thread and belongs to @rossm, but the original links are dead.

RIMG0074.jpg

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 8

22 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

I cut each piece in two longitudinally to make it last twice as long

If you should ever buy the old tape again Bill, a tip to make it last longer is to stick it to some Tamiya tape as the latter's stick lasts much longer. And I usually cut it into 3 or 4 strips longitudinally to make it a bit more flexible.

I've recently purchased a roll of this;

https://www.umpretail.com/products/hiq-parts-scribing-guide-tape-3mm?_pos=1&_sid=ad36576a0&_ss=r

It's more flexible than the old Dymo tape and I quite like the fact that it's a clear tape so I find it easier to line up against existing panel lines that need scribing.

However, whatever you used, that's some very nicely done scribing! 👍

Keith

• Like 4

22 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Thanks, Keith, I'll maybe give that a try someday. I still have three rolls of the old black embossing tape plus one roll of the new "digital" tape, and at the rate that I abhor scribing these may last me the rest of my life. But who knows? I may wake up someday and find myself the inheritor of a stash of thousands of kits made before 1975, just aching to be scribed.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

As I sit here, hour upon hour, scribing away like some automaton in a perspex factory, my mind wanders. Crazy thoughts like "hey, I can finally build that Hasegawa RA-5C Vigilante 'cuz I be a scriber now." Or maybe the Monogram A-1E Skyraider that I want to do in that cool Engine Grey and Yellow scheme. But then I glance over to the "big box" portion of my stash, and I spy the Airfix 1:72 Vulcan. Oh Gawd...someone console my wretched soul.    😬

Cheers,

Bill

PS. At least I have resin intakes for that monster.

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

Actually I’d like to see Bill build the VIgilante.  I built one about 5 years ago, it’s a horrible kit and I would be fascinated to watch a proper modeller build it.

AW

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

and I spy the Airfix 1:72 Vulcan. Oh Gawd...someone console my wretched soul.   

TBH Bill, if you do the same with that as you're doing with the Javelin and just follow Airfix's panels, it's not that difficult to scribe - lot of long straight lines on flat-ish surfaces...

Keith

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

...and I spy the Airfix 1:72 Vulcan. Oh Gawd...someone console my wretched soul.    😬

Cheers,

Bill

PS. At least I have resin intakes for that monster.

Years ago I started a Vulcan and Matchbox Victor as a project to have one refuelling the other, even made a nice hefty perspex stand.

I started the scribing, and actually didn't find it bad, possibly due to the kit breakdown and sheer size. 

The Victor was a sod though, typical hardness of Matchbox plastic - both remain in a box to be finished!   (Or hope that Airfix issue that new Vulcan!)

...but man, I would love to watch a Vulcan build by your goodself Bill! 

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

As much as I’d like to see you wrestle the Tin Triangle, I think you’re due for a build featuring the Star and Bar.

Definitely on my list. Maybe not the next one, as I need to build a resin model (F8U-3). But it has stars and bars!

3 hours ago, keefr22 said:

TBH Bill, if you do the same with that as you're doing with the Javelin and just follow Airfix's panels, it's not that difficult to scribe - lot of long straight lines on flat-ish surfaces...

I think you're right on that one. I just fondled the Vulcan sprues again (which I do every month or so) and I think it may  be easier than scribing the Dragmaster.

2 hours ago, 71chally said:

The Victor was a sod though, typical hardness of Matchbox plastic - both remain in a box to be finished!   (Or hope that Airfix issue that new Vulcan!)

Oh, Airfix will certainly issue a new tool Vulcan as soon as I build mine. No doubt about it. Luckily, I have the new tool Airfix Victor and Valiant, so I won't have to deal with Matchbox plastic or vacuforms to get my V-bomber fleet.

Scribing continues...top side done, now moving onto the underside.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 3

On 9/9/2019 at 9:09 AM, 71chally said:

Also, I have just found this, I believe it was from an older Britmodeller thread and belongs to @rossm, but the original links are dead.

RIMG0074.jpg

I have changed ISP so some of my old images have disappeared. All my Javelin ones are now on my website so use the addresses

http://hrmtech.com/SIG/images/Javelin-1.jpg to http://hrmtech.com/SIG/images/Javelin-23.jpg

Mostly from Flixton, a few from Cosford

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2